Why Work Anyway?

What a truly fucking dumb OP.

Care to explain why Butthead?

Because it's bullshit.

It's always better to make more money regardless of your tax situation.

A promotion and a pay raise usually means ya have lots of new responsibilities to go along with it.
If ya only get to keep half or less of the extra pay, why bother?

You guys know we are right, but you'd rather look foolish than to admit the direction we are headed is unsustainable.

Because it's bullshit.

A promotion and a pay raise usually means ya have lots of new responsibilities to go along with it.

You guys know we are right, but you'd rather look foolish than to admit the direction we are headed is unsustainable.

well that depends... do you want a career or a dead end job?

the person in the op sounds either lacks in basic math skills, reasoning ability, or some combination there of.

frankly i find it hard to believe he was up for any sort of promotion - unless it's considered a step up to work the fry-a-lator.

What a truly fucking dumb OP.

Just for perspective, keep in mind that the OP is about 80 years old, I'm guessing he's living on Social Security and getting Medicare, so those of us who still work are at least in part paying him to annoy us with crap like this.

So I guess he's right; the joke's on us working people.

Has anyone else noticed that about 80% of the rightwing nut threads that are complaining about the economy blame the poor and low income working Americans for all their woes?

am i really reading this correctly or is the op claiming that the only reason to own a house is because you can deduct your mortgage interest?

am i really reading this correctly or is the op claiming that the only reason to own a house is because you can deduct your mortgage interest?

Without that, it's a lot less appealing. I'm giving serious consideration to selling mine...just the TAXES I pay on it now would get me a pretty nice apartment.

Because it's bullshit.

You're asking why someone would want more money?

Can you justify the above statement with historical precedent?

Because it's bullshit.

well that depends... do you want a career or a dead end job?

the person in the op sounds either lacks in basic math skills, reasoning ability, or some combination there of.

frankly i find it hard to believe he was up for any sort of promotion - unless it's considered a step up to work the fry-a-lator.

Yeah most of the people I hear bitching about taxes above 250k will barely clear 250k in their lifetimes let alone in one year.

Why Work Anyway?​

By: Morgan Brittany
December 10, 2012

I was shocked by something I heard from one of my friend’s sons the other day. He is a college graduate with a business degree and fortunately has a job. We were all talking about the fiscal cliff and how it would affect people making over $250K a year. His reaction to the top rate rising to 39% along with the California State tax increase due to Proposition 30 prompted him to say, “Whew, I think I dodged a bullet! I was up for a promotion with a pay raise but someone else got it. I’m pretty sure my taxable income will be under the level where I would have gotten punished.” PUNISHED.

He was basically saying that he would rather earn less and stop advancing in his career than be hit with massive taxes. I asked him to explain and he said that basically he didn’t want to work and then fork over 50% or more of his earnings to the government. He said that he had gone to school, studied hard and gotten a job but was still burdened with excessive student loans and he felt that with that hanging over his head he couldn’t afford to pay more in taxes.

As for buying a home and starting a family, well that was not even an option for him. He said that if they were talking about taking away the mortgage home deduction then why buy a house anyway?

This is where we have come in this country. It is now a better option to take a lower paying job, rent a home or live with mom and take government benefits than it is to climb up the ladder to success. The American dream is fading folks. Like an old photograph from a Polaroid instant camera, the picture is slowly disintegrating.

Our entitlement society is out of control. It is a sad fact that a head of a household of four making minimum wage has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year. In an article in August 2010 this issue was discussed in The National Review.

“In many cases, economists have calculated, welfare recipients who enter the work force or receive pay raises lose a dollar or more of benefits for each additional dollar they earn. The system makes fools of those who work hard.

“Recently the chairmen of two important subcommittees on Capitol Hill convened a hearing on this issue. The hearing elicited some revealing testimony from one of the chairmen’s congressional colleagues.”

“The more benefits the government provides, the stronger the disincentive to work,” Representative Geoff Davis (R., Ky.) pointed out. The great irony, he added, is that although federal welfare programs “are designed to alleviate poverty while promoting work,” collectively they have “an unintended side effect of discouraging harder work and higher earnings.”

Less work and lower earnings, in turn, translate into greater dependency on the government — and zero or even downward social and economic mobility for those mired in poverty.”

Read more:
Why Work Anyway? - Morgan Brittany - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

Who or what business wants to launch themselves into a 40% federal tax bracket? When you add in state taxes--you're paying .50 cents on every dollar you earn.

Why Work Anyway?​

December 10, 2012

I was shocked by something I heard from one of my friend’s sons the other day. He is a college graduate with a business degree and fortunately has a job. We were all talking about the fiscal cliff and how it would affect people making over $250K a year. His reaction to the top rate rising to 39% along with the California State tax increase due to Proposition 30 prompted him to say, “Whew, I think I dodged a bullet! I was up for a promotion with a pay raise but someone else got it. I’m pretty sure my taxable income will be under the level where I would have gotten punished.” PUNISHED.

He was basically saying that he would rather earn less and stop advancing in his career than be hit with massive taxes. I asked him to explain and he said that basically he didn’t want to work and then fork over 50% or more of his earnings to the government. He said that he had gone to school, studied hard and gotten a job but was still burdened with excessive student loans and he felt that with that hanging over his head he couldn’t afford to pay more in taxes.

As for buying a home and starting a family, well that was not even an option for him. He said that if they were talking about taking away the mortgage home deduction then why buy a house anyway?

This is where we have come in this country. It is now a better option to take a lower paying job, rent a home or live with mom and take government benefits than it is to climb up the ladder to success. The American dream is fading folks. Like an old photograph from a Polaroid instant camera, the picture is slowly disintegrating.

Our entitlement society is out of control. It is a sad fact that a head of a household of four making minimum wage has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year. In an article in August 2010 this issue was discussed in The National Review.

“In many cases, economists have calculated, welfare recipients who enter the work force or receive pay raises lose a dollar or more of benefits for each additional dollar they earn. The system makes fools of those who work hard.

“Recently the chairmen of two important subcommittees on Capitol Hill convened a hearing on this issue. The hearing elicited some revealing testimony from one of the chairmen’s congressional colleagues.”

“The more benefits the government provides, the stronger the disincentive to work,” Representative Geoff Davis (R., Ky.) pointed out. The great irony, he added, is that although federal welfare programs “are designed to alleviate poverty while promoting work,” collectively they have “an unintended side effect of discouraging harder work and higher earnings.”

Less work and lower earnings, in turn, translate into greater dependency on the government — and zero or even downward social and economic mobility for those mired in poverty.”

Read more:
Why Work Anyway? - Morgan Brittany - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

Who or what business wants to launch themselves into a 40% federal tax bracket? When you add in state taxes--you're paying .50 cents on every dollar you earn.

There isn't a 40% federal tax bracket.

I'd love to be in the 35% bracket. To make over 388k a year would be awesome. Tell you what, any of you that hate being in the 35% bracket, we'll trade incomes.

BTW oreo, if I were you I wouldn't personally worry about having that problem.

Last edited:

Without that, it's a lot less appealing. I'm giving serious consideration to selling mine...just the TAXES I pay on it now would get me a pretty nice apartment.

well frankly that makes you an idiot.

And you ask why this is a ridiculous OP?

You're complaining about "entitlements".

Entitlements are only necessary because a small cadre of people that control half the wealth of the nation has decided that labor has no value.

However, these same people, think it's a-ok to pay themselves 400 to 500 times what they pay labor.

This is backed by the state, who provides police and courts to keep labor from advocating on their behalf.

Well, how long do you think that's going to last?

In a nation of plenty..when you have access to very little..you generally get rid of those that are making the big grab.

Check your history.

Why Work Anyway?​

December 10, 2012

Read more:

There isn't a 40% federal tax bracket.

I'd love to be in the 35% bracket. To make over 388k a year would be awesome. Tell you what, any of you that hate being in the 35% bracket, we'll trade incomes.

BTW oreo, if I were you I wouldn't personally worry about having that problem.

Take your racist bullshit elsewhere.

Forum List

Back