Why won't the kids leave home anymore?

I had a really large bankruptcy practice when my office was open. By far and away, the leading cause of bankruptcy was never medical bills. It was credit cards and loans. Far and away. Most of the time it's that kind of heavy debt, and a death with no life insurance or too little life insurance. Maybe the government should mandate life insurance instead of medical insurance. Or, is that just next?

Why should they leave home? Free meals. Free maid service. Free everything. Who would leave such a nice set up?

Well when you put it like that, but what happens when the parents get old, cannot work and eventually pass on? how will these mommas boys provide for themselves? our parents aren't going to live forever.

Many parents who have retirned have gone back to work to support adult children and their own children when those adult children move in and refuse to work. I have no idea what these lay abouts will do when the parents die. What it looks like is another socialogical bomb that will detonate at an unknown date in the future. As these "kids" age and won't work, those jobs are being taken by immigrants who come here to work, meaning there will be absolutely nothing for these adults when they are suddenly orphaned.

Why should they leave home? Free meals. Free maid service. Free everything. Who would leave such a nice set up?

Well when you put it like that, but what happens when the parents get old, cannot work and eventually pass on? how will these mommas boys provide for themselves? our parents aren't going to live forever.

Many parents who have retirned have gone back to work to support adult children and their own children when those adult children move in and refuse to work. I have no idea what these lay abouts will do when the parents die. What it looks like is another socialogical bomb that will detonate at an unknown date in the future. As these "kids" age and won't work, those jobs are being taken by immigrants who come here to work, meaning there will be absolutely nothing for these adults when they are suddenly orphaned.

Thats some scary shit, its funny that you mention that because I have seen quite a few retired people come back to the work force recently, we just had 7 ladies come back from retirement to work at my job part time.

Thats some scary shit, its funny that you mention that because I have seen quite a few retired people come back to the work force recently, we just had 7 ladies come back from retirement to work at my job part time.

I had to ask some friends who are supporting adult children.

Some of them say that the "kids" are on their own sink or swim they will have to grow up overnight at the age of 50.

Some have life insurance to cushion the blow.

Some of them say that the "kids" are on their own sink or swim they will have to grow up overnight at the age of 50.

Good catch Katz, the life insurance will tide them over but without a stream of income coming in these loafers will spend it all and end up on the streets, a friend of mine is 25 years old and lives in a house owned by his mother she is a nurse, he lives there rent free and pays nothing and still cannot maintain the upkeep on this free home, the water heater cracked and his moms had to shell out $1400 or so to fix it, if she wasn't there the dude would be taking cold showers forever.

Good catch Katz, the life insurance will tide them over but without a stream of income coming in these loafers will spend it all and end up on the streets, a friend of mine is 25 years old and lives in a house owned by his mother she is a nurse, he lives there rent free and pays nothing and still cannot maintain the upkeep on this free home, the water heater cracked and his moms had to shell out $1400 or so to fix it, if she wasn't there the dude would be taking cold showers forever.

What these parents can't seem to grasp is they are doing these "kids" no favors. I would not have moved back in with my mother for the world. I swear I would beg on the streets first. My daugther feels the same. Husband, too. Good thing, since he and I have no living parents anymore. Besides mine got ticked at something and took me out of her will anyhow. That's life!

Lots of older retirement age people work at least part time. It gets them out of the house, provides much needed socialization, it keeps them active, I think it's great. I intend to do some kind of work as long as I'm upright.

I have noticed a disturbing trend of young adults in their 20's who still live with their parents or a parent, and they seem content to stay in that situation. When I was 18 I joined the Air Force and left home, never looked back. These days I don't really see that desire to be self efficient and independent, alot of people are fine just staying at home. For example I bought some couch's from an older couple that lives a few blocks down from me, when I went to their house to fetch the coaches I saw they had their 21 year old daughter living with them pregnant, after talking to her father the story I got is she was in college and her boyfriend got her pregnant and now she moved back home to have the baby, this was not a temporary thing because I still see her living there with the baby, with her older parents. A friend of mine has never left home, he is 25 years old and has 3 kids, him and his girlfriend live at his mothers house with the kids, he tried to join the Army but was turned down because he had a DUI and they found weed in the car, the Army told him to try to get his record expunged but of course he never did it, whats wrong with young people these days? does everyone want to be Peter Pan?

Parents baby their kids today and don't force them to grow up.

I have noticed a disturbing trend of young adults in their 20's who still live with their parents or a parent, and they seem content to stay in that situation. When I was 18 I joined the Air Force and left home, never looked back. These days I don't really see that desire to be self efficient and independent, alot of people are fine just staying at home. For example I bought some couch's from an older couple that lives a few blocks down from me, when I went to their house to fetch the coaches I saw they had their 21 year old daughter living with them pregnant, after talking to her father the story I got is she was in college and her boyfriend got her pregnant and now she moved back home to have the baby, this was not a temporary thing because I still see her living there with the baby, with her older parents. A friend of mine has never left home, he is 25 years old and has 3 kids, him and his girlfriend live at his mothers house with the kids, he tried to join the Army but was turned down because he had a DUI and they found weed in the car, the Army told him to try to get his record expunged but of course he never did it, whats wrong with young people these days? does everyone want to be Peter Pan?

Parents baby their kids today and don't force them to grow up.

Yup and I think part of the problem is they make it too comfortable, like other posters have said you are getting a free room, free eats, no bills, who would give up on that?

Of all the people that I know who are supporting adult children, most of those adult children are on some kind of drugs and that's why they can't work. Two just have sons who are pot smokers and either can't or choose not to work.

If you nail down some of these parents, their secret feeling is that it would be a mercy if they outlived their children.

Of all the people that I know who are supporting adult children, most of those adult children are on some kind of drugs and that's why they can't work. Two just have sons who are pot smokers and either can't or choose not to work.

If you nail down some of these parents, their secret feeling is that it would be a mercy if they outlived their children.

Yeah drugs is definently a big part of it, I know several stoners who just stay at home, smoke it up all day, play the XBOX and live off of mama.

Forum List

Back