Why won't the kids leave home anymore?

damn you know i forgot the divorce and all......but you have lived a fun life...come on hg...some men have never known or will never know the pleasures you have had....you strike me as one who doesnt let the women suffer

Well I had alot of making up to do once my ex left.:eusa_angel:

Helicopter parents and public schools and higher education caving to them.

okay my age is showing what are 'helicopter parents'?

I was going to ask that to, I am assuming helicopter parents are parents who are always hovering over you?
It's a term we used in academia for parents, like HG said, who hover over their kids.

Now, that is normal for any normal parent, really.

But helicopter parents take it to the extreme and they are very common. They raise their children to never really accept responsibility for much of anything they do because the parent(s) will intervene. And, the parents do that into the college years. And the parents do that into the first-real-job years.

Now, they are the parents of a 25 year old who has never had the opportunity to learn discipline on their own and to learn self-reliance and consequences.

I'll find a great article on that in a sec.

Eventually it'll reach a point where many will never be able to leave.In many "third world" countries you'll see large extended families living together.
You'll get used to it.

Kids don't want to leave home now because they are learning how to become good Democrats. Raking in all the free shit provided by the hard work and sweat of others.

The problem is that there are jobs out there but not careers

A job gets you a paycheck but is not enough to sustain you. With massive student debt and few offers of a career to pay for student loans, rent, car expenses, healthcare, insurance.......young adults have few choices but to move back home to try to save up some money

They don't like it either

The problem is that there are jobs out there but not careers

A job gets you a paycheck but is not enough to sustain you. With massive student debt and few offers of a career to pay for student loans, rent, car expenses, healthcare, insurance.......young adults have few choices but to move back home to try to save up some money

They don't like it either

Thats the thing though, I can understand living with your parents while saving up money to leave, however the people in the examples I listed are not doing that and have no intention to leave momma, and there are ALOT of people like that.

oooooo we call that a van der sloot mom.....
A great example!

Here's a TIME article on them: Helicopter Parents: The Backlash Against Overparenting - TIME

There is also a Wiki entry: Helicopter parent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From NPR, specifically about these 'kids' in the workplace: Helicopter Parents Hover In The Workplace : NPR

The two best I saw were one in Forbes and one in The Chronicle of Higher Education, but I can't find those.

Imagine you're the professional boss of an entry level 'professional' and his/her parent calls you to tell you not to be so mean to your kid? :eek:

Last edited:
I left home 3 days after graduation from HS. Joined the Navy, got my BS while in the Navy, retired from the Navy. My son is 17 in April and he will join the Navy in June. After 4 years he will return to home go to college and then plans to return to the Navy. My Daughter is 15 and plans to get her RN degree and is welcome to live at home until she does so.

I find that kids in my neighborhood who joined the service after High School are also returning home after their enlistment is up. Just like college kids, they are finding that there is not much of a job market for many of the skills they learned in the service

I left home 3 days after graduation from HS. Joined the Navy, got my BS while in the Navy, retired from the Navy. My son is 17 in April and he will join the Navy in June. After 4 years he will return to home go to college and then plans to return to the Navy. My Daughter is 15 and plans to get her RN degree and is welcome to live at home until she does so.

I find that kids in my neighborhood who joined the service after High School are also returning home after their enlistment is up. Just like college kids, they are finding that there is not much of a job market for many of the skills they learned in the service

They should re-enlist and go carrer military or go to college, the new GI Bill is great compared to the Montgomery GI Bill I had.

Good links in this article: Helicopter Parents Descending onto Your Organization

Helicopter Parents Descending onto Your Organization

The helicopter parent. In the past, the phrase may have been used in a whisper to describe parents who micromanage their children’s lives from kindergarten until entering college. The phenomena of helicopter parents has become a significant workplace issue, particularly when hiring new employees. In some organizations, it is not surprising to find parents patiently waiting outside of an office while their adult child attends an interview. Some of these parents have even gone as far as calling managers in reference to performance reviews. To an HR professional, knowing how to properly handle this rising phenomenon can prove to be an arduous task. Where did these parents come from? How are other organizations dealing with this issue?

Who are Helicopter Parents?
Most helicopter parents in one article (Are Parents Killing Their Kids' Careers? - Forbes.com) prepared by Forbes are described as past baby-boomers and present parents who take a more aggressive, active role in their children’s lives. Many of these parents believe that with plenty of time and money invested in their child they can ensure his / her successful future. Some parents proudly mention that they paid the college tuition bill, and were active by swarming onto college campuses scouting and ensuring a good education. For these parents, it is simply believed that attending career fairs, passing their child’s résumé, and even scheduling an interview is just the next step in ensuring that their investment is still of value.

Some parents have even taken it a step further. Hewlett Packard ('Helicopter' parents hover when kids job hunt - USATODAY.com) has reported that parents have contacted the company in order to discuss their child’s salary and relocation packages. Some organizations have received phone calls from dismissed candidates’ parents inquiring why their son or daughter did not receive a position ('Helicopter' parents descend into the hiring process - Boston Business Journal). The children of these parents, commonly described as Generation Y or the Millennial Generation (currently ages 10-29), are so accustomed to parental involvement (http://jobs.aol.com/article/_a/helicopter-parents-on-the-job/20080804144009990002) that there is no sense of impropriety with having such additional support. For many HR professionals, this extra involvement is so novel, that they don’t know how to react.

Underlying this phenomenon is the fact that the relationship between parent and child for this particular generation gap is closer than ever before. Hence, this young generation seeks parental help frequently. Having access via text message, e-mail, and phone calls, there is no wait time in order to find a solution. Help from mom or dad is only a few seconds away. Further, these baby boomer parents remember their own mistakes and the difficulties of the job market. They want to ensure that their children do not suffer as they may have from easily avoidable mistakes. Severing the cord seems to be increasingly difficult. However it must be done (Under Hovering Helicopter Parents, Millenials' Careers Can't Soar - The Salary Reporter), as many HR professionals believe. Otherwise, it will be harder for Generation Y-ers to make decisions on their own.

How Does this Affect the HR World?
As the Millennial Generation prepares for the shrinking job market, helicopter parents are moving off college campuses and descending into the job market. This trend raises issues for Human Resources. How do you respond to these well-intentioned parents?

Many organizations are recognizing that there are only two ways to handle prospective Generation Y graduates and their helicopter parents: allow or deny involvement. Here are some examples of how organizations are handling this new employment dynamic:

• According to one article (Are Parents Killing Their Kids' Careers? - Forbes.com), the Office Depot’s website has an entire page dedicated to parents of candidates for hire, giving the parents tips on how to be supportive without being invasive.

• Enterprise Rent-a-Car Service (Recruiting young people - meet the parents: the helicopter parenting phenomenon of Generation Y) has in the past sent letters to parents of recent hires informing them about the company for which their son or daughter will be working. Donna Miller, the European HR director of Enterprise stated, “While we don't like parents to attend induction sessions (we see that as being a little too much like a child's first day at school), we do believe in building on the family network."

• In 2006, Merrill Lynch (Three Strategies for Managing Generation Y - CBS News) held a parent’s day for parents of select applicants and new hires. Part of the parent’s day activities included a tour of the office where their child would be working and more information about the company. So far, only one applicant whose parents attended the event did not accept the job offer.

Organizations recognize that when it comes to recruiting Generation Y, more has to be done in order to attract and retain the best. There is a need to also recruit their parents. Many of these “parent workshops” are still in the infant stages. It will be interesting to see how they may evolve in the future.

....​
[emphasis added]

Even HR departments are caving. Sad.

Last edited:
Times have changed. I lived a pretty sheltered middle class life and graduated college with my last final 12/22/82 (took 9 semesters instead of eight and my parents were disappointed). After Christmas dinner my dad inquired why I didn't have a fulltime job yet and it was time to start looking in earnest the following week. So I spent the week between Christmas and New Years pounding the pavement and looking for jobs (very unsuccessfully). By late January, with no success in the middle of a recession, my dad arranged an interview with his company and I took a job out of town in Los Angeles in February. The job eventually did not work out and I moved back to town, but not in with my parents.

By the standards of the day iIconsidered myself somewhat sheltered. I lived at home during college and paid no rent. my dad got me my first job out of college. I was 22 when I moved out, when most of my friends left home 18-20. However, by the standards of today, not so coddled.

In fairness to young people today, it is tougher to get started, but my feeling is that a good number of them are spoiled. We have therapists work in our house with our disabled son so I have had the opportunity to view the work habits of about two dozen young people. It can be dissapointing. Where is my dad when you need him, he always pulled my ear lobes to get my attention when I screwed up.

This is the generation of the wholly entitled. Parents saddled with children who refuse to work have, themselves had to go back to work after retirement or find second jobs in order to support their layabout offspring.

Part of the reason is that the sense of entitlement is so huge that college grads have useless degrees and are totally unwilling to start anywhere but at the top. On some level they know they are unqualified so they won't apply and be humiliated by being turned down.

Part of the reason is that a substantial number of those who refuse to work are users, they smoke pot all day, they drink beer all day. They can't get it together enough to take a shower much less go on a job interview.

If there is a serious danger to the perpetual child generation it's the loss of the Parental Generation. When the parents die, there will be no one to support and care for the perpetual children. They are crippled for life and will still have that raging sense of entitlement they always had.

This is the generation of the wholly entitled. Parents saddled with children who refuse to work have, themselves had to go back to work after retirement or find second jobs in order to support their layabout offspring.

Part of the reason is that the sense of entitlement is so huge that college grads have useless degrees and are totally unwilling to start anywhere but at the top. On some level they know they are unqualified so they won't apply and be humiliated by being turned down.

Part of the reason is that a substantial number of those who refuse to work are users, they smoke pot all day, they drink beer all day. They can't get it together enough to take a shower much less go on a job interview.

If there is a serious danger to the perpetual child generation it's the loss of the Parental Generation. When the parents die, there will be no one to support and care for the perpetual children. They are crippled for life and will still have that raging sense of entitlement they always had.

:lol:

A great example!

Here's a TIME article on them: Helicopter Parents: The Backlash Against Overparenting - TIME

There is also a Wiki entry: Helicopter parent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From NPR, specifically about these 'kids' in the workplace: Helicopter Parents Hover In The Workplace : NPR

The two best I saw were one in Forbes and one in The Chronicle of Higher Education, but I can't find those.

Imagine you're the professional boss of an entry level 'professional' and his/her parent calls you to tell you not to be so mean to your kid? :eek:

I've seen that before, when I was in the Military there was an Airman who just came to the base and was going to be given a nice hefty bonus for his careerfield, his mother called the reenlistments section to find out when her boy was getting his money.

The unemployment rates for Veterans is higher than that of regular civilians, because of the disconnect between the Military and Civilian sectors some civilian employers are hesitant to hire veterans because of PTSD and other issues.

A great example!

I've seen that before, when I was in the Military there was an Airman who just came to the base and was going to be given a nice hefty bonus for his careerfield, his mother called the reenlistments section to find out when her boy was getting his money.
Oh gawd. :eek: And, how did his peers react to that? And, he, how did he react?

Yikes.

I would be mortified. And, that is exactly why my 'rents would never have done that.

You had a point with your post Katz but you went way out in left field.

Forum List

Back