Why Won't Democrats Reform Government?

I don't think things are going the way the OP intended

rms_titanic_400px.jpg

Many people are avoiding a degree because of costs, especially our young, or do you deny that?

Yes.

Quite frankly, most states have scholarship programs to fund education at a public state university that are available to students with even moderately successful grades.

If a student is willing to apply themselves in high school, then money is available.

A student that wants an education bad enough will get it. There's the ROTC, there's grants and loans, and there's even a little thing like getting a job.

I came from a family of 5 that made the bills using disability income. I ate 2 meals a day sometimes as a kid, and I ate bread and butter sandwiches for lunch when things were really tight.

I ended up going to a high end 4 year school and now hold a Ph'D in Mathematics, among my other degrees. Do you know how I did that?

I worked hard, borrowed when I had to, and sucked it up and got a job when I needed money. My hard work in high school paid off in academic scholarships.

I'm now mostly debt free (I carry only a mortgage on my house), make 3 times what my parents made, and am saving enough money that my kid will get an education too.

It is possible to get an education if you want it bad enough.

Not debunked, see other thread for response. The corruption of paying 300k to this guy is un-bee-lievable.

You folks have an education heading YOUR way. You are going to come back down here with us little folks and see what that's like my friend.

Your excuse for atrocious university and tuition costs is deplorable. You know exactly the system has been a cash free for all, and not all of you are liberals either. Just the loud ones..........

Not debunked, see other thread for response. The corruption of paying 300k to this guy is un-bee-lievable.

You folks have an education heading YOUR way. You are going to come back down here with us little folks and see what that's like my friend.

Your excuse for atrocious university and tuition costs is deplorable. You know exactly the system has been a cash free for all, and not all of you are liberals either. Just the loud ones..........

From the other thread:

There is a huge problem building with this. I can understand why some would prefer not to face the reality of the situation.

Perhaps folks should do some research before getting outraged.

Titanic Sailor said this:
How does an "assistant" professor with a base of 60K end up making 362K for the year?

From his list that means he could only be talking about Associate (not Assistant) professor David Phillips at UMass.

Even a few seconds of research would have revealed he was talking about this guy.

Care to know how he earns that much money? He's a Doctor, as in medical doctor, with a specialization in Radiology. He makes all his money not from tuition dollars but from his Medical Practice. His $60,000 a year is paid to him because he works with medical students.

Now, if Titanic Sailor had done his research, he'd realize that in this case his OUTRAGE isn't justified. This guy isn't getting rich off student tuition, but he's being fairly compensated for work outside his duties as a teacher.

When folks freak out about Professor earnings, they should take the time to find out how much outside consulting a Professor does, and how much grant money they bring in. At a R1 institution, the Professor's salary isn't paid for by tuition, but instead by the money the Professor brings in to fund his research. Frequently that money pays for the salaries of his graduate students and lab workers too.

In short: Titanic Sailor was looking to get outraged. He didn't care if he came off looking stupid in the process.

Government won't get reformed because it is to powerful and to big. Power corrupts and without a proper check on the federal government no one will fix it. I think if you want to fix the federal government we are going to have to do it from the states.

He was paid by the STATE over 300K, not from his practice.

Jello?

His practice is in the Hospital. He's paid through the hospital. Are you really that dense?

Do some research. If a person is being paid well above their base pay at a University, then nearly 100% of the time that represents outside work past their teaching duties or grants, which are paid to the University and then redistributed from there. That money doesn't come from tuition, or even from the State in most cases.

You're looking to get outraged, you don't care how. That's a quick formula for looking stupid.

There absolutely is a case that some reform of government sector jobs is warranted. You just picked the absolute worst hill on which plant your flag.

So his hospital salary is paid by the taxpayers? Is this a state hospital? You aren't making any sense. he's on the state payroll for over 300K for 2008.

and he's just ONE jackass. You have to go to page 30 before anyone makes under 150K a year.

And this is only ONE state.

So his hospital salary is paid by the taxpayers? Is this a state hospital? You aren't making any sense. he's on the state payroll for over 300K for 2008.

From the other thread:

In short, there is a massive correction heading towards all government employees............

hahahaha

You folks are gonna come back down to earth and enjoy life with the taxpayers for a change. ;)

Read this:

In short, if UMass were to tell this particular professor "You make too much!", he could go into private practice and make essentially the same income. Only now, instead of teaching students and sharing his experience, he's just working for himself.

Perhaps its time to find another name on that list to hone in on. You probably could have made the case with an administrator or a beauracrat, but you're digging yourself deeper and deeper here......

In short, you're just getting in deeper and deeper here. Admit it, you got outraged and never even bothered to check why he was paid what he is.

Then go into private practice, and good luck. Easily replaced for less money. Public university pay is only one item addressed in this thread. The state should not pay him that much money. We should tax all government workers who make more than 100K at 100% and return public service to the job. I'd offer a reduced rate for overtime, but if anyone makes over 100K in overtime, then it's time to hire some people.

;)

Then go into private practice, and good luck. Easily replaced for less money.

By someone with less skill and experience. That means the quality of young doctors goes down. That means the quality of medical care goes down.

And you're still not addressing the fact he works for hospital in addition to the university. The hospital will not be able to easily replace him as a radiologist. There's a reason he's paid that much. Radiologists are in demand. If you don't buy that, try to hire one for $100,000. Good luck.

C'mon, admit it, you didn't actually see why this guy was making the money he was making before you bothered getting outraged, did you?

Last edited:
I am being honest, you appear to be in full defensive mode for ridiculous government salaries. OK, here's another idea for you:

How much are state universities costing the taxpayer, and should we review just shutting them down?

;)

I am being honest, you appear to be in full defensive mode for ridiculous government salaries. OK, here's another idea for you:

How much are state universities costing the taxpayer, and should we review just shutting them down?

;)

Answer: Not much. And no. Not if you like keeping your bright educated young minds in your state.

Do you just hate education? You must, because you certainly do seem to abhor actually doing any thinking before getting OUTRAGED!

There are plenty of things worth getting outraged over. You just made yourself look like an idiot by not actually checking your facts or doing any research before you started shouting.

Nice spin. I'm having fun. The lower and middle class have been leaving in droves from Massachusetts, declining population for years. You can only get taxed and Democratted to death enough, and it's time for the people to move on, which they did. Many of the young in New England have abandoned ship, and it will continue. Where have you been?

Forum List

Back