Why whites are blind to their racism

It’s a widely known fact that if you bring up racism enough in public a white person will materialize to tell you that race simply isn’t a major factor in our lives. Sure, racism was real way back when, but not now, they’ll say. Nobody alive today owned slaves, they’ll say. I never see racism, they’ll say. Back up your claim and prove racism exists, they’ll say.

You’ll present a rational argument. You’ll give them studies, persuasively written articles, and suggest books for them to read. You’ll share your personal experiences and the experiences of those you know navigating our white supremacist landscape.

They’ll argue the data aren’t sound. The writers of the articles too biased. They’ll never read the books. And they’ll dismiss the experiences as anecdotal and not representative of broader society—and don’t you dare call it a white supremacist society. That really makes white people flip their shit.

I’ve had this conversation with whites way too many times, but I have recently realized how backwards it is. There’s no need to prove a foundational component of our national composition continues to shape its present state. The burden of proof is on those who claim this historical reality has been interrupted. The fact that racism exists in the United States is uncontroversial from a historical viewpoint. Ours is a nation founded on genocide, land-theft, and chattel slavery. There’s no debate over this. There’s also no debate over the existence of institutional racism throughout Old Jim Crow in the century that followed emancipation. (Nor is there any honest debate regarding the existence of institutional racism now.)

In that context the position that racism still exists in the United States requires no evidence- Jim Crow actually represented progress at one point, but it certainly didn’t mark an end to racism. I’m sure whites at the time argued it did. Like whites today, I’m sure they demanded proof racism still existed after emancipation.

So as I have asked many times and never can get answered despite all the silly ludicrous crap from white idiot racist extremists like most of you:

Prove when racism ended and its effects were allayed. Show, with data and peer-reviewed studies supporting your argument, when the effects of the hundreds of years of anti-Black racism from chattel slavery through Old Jim Crow leveled off. Show when the wealth expropriated during that oppression was repaid to those it was expropriated from and through. And remember, after you’ve addressed the end of anti-Black racism you’ll still have to explain when anti-Latinx, anti-Asian, anti-Arab, and anti-Native racism came to an end as well.

Copy pasted from Huffpost
Next Time Someone Asks You To Prove Racism Exists, Give Them This | HuffPost

Prove when racism ended and its effects were allayed. Show, with data and peer-reviewed studies supporting your argument, when the effects of the hundreds of years of anti-Black racism from chattel slavery through Old Jim Crow leveled off. Show when the wealth expropriated during that oppression was repaid to those it was expropriated from and through. And remember, after you’ve addressed the end of anti-Black racism you’ll still have to explain when anti-Latinx, anti-Asian, anti-Arab, and anti-Native racism came to an end as well.

It’s a widely known fact that if you bring up racism enough in public a white person will materialize to tell you that race simply isn’t a major factor in our lives. Sure, racism was real way back when, but not now, they’ll say. Nobody alive today owned slaves, they’ll say. I never see racism, they’ll say. Back up your claim and prove racism exists, they’ll say.

You’ll present a rational argument. You’ll give them studies, persuasively written articles, and suggest books for them to read. You’ll share your personal experiences and the experiences of those you know navigating our white supremacist landscape.

They’ll argue the data aren’t sound. The writers of the articles too biased. They’ll never read the books. And they’ll dismiss the experiences as anecdotal and not representative of broader society—and don’t you dare call it a white supremacist society. That really makes white people flip their shit.

I’ve had this conversation with whites way too many times, but I have recently realized how backwards it is. There’s no need to prove a foundational component of our national composition continues to shape its present state. The burden of proof is on those who claim this historical reality has been interrupted. The fact that racism exists in the United States is uncontroversial from a historical viewpoint. Ours is a nation founded on genocide, land-theft, and chattel slavery. There’s no debate over this. There’s also no debate over the existence of institutional racism throughout Old Jim Crow in the century that followed emancipation. (Nor is there any honest debate regarding the existence of institutional racism now.)

In that context the position that racism still exists in the United States requires no evidence- Jim Crow actually represented progress at one point, but it certainly didn’t mark an end to racism. I’m sure whites at the time argued it did. Like whites today, I’m sure they demanded proof racism still existed after emancipation.

So as I have asked many times and never can get answered despite all the silly ludicrous crap from white idiot racist extremists like most of you:

Someone needs to peer review your face with a fist

I'm a little tired of letting bitches talk shit like they can whip my ass just because their punk white asses can't take what they dish out. I guarantee you this white boy, if you would ever try laying a hand on me, I will change the way you live.

It is appropriate that not one of IM's screeds has ever changed one person toward his argument. Not one in at least 20 years. No one cares. Not one white person gives a single square of toilet paper for all of his agonizing posts scattered about message boards. Not for 20 years. About the only result is to give white people with personal knowledge of the brown stream of verbal sewage an excuse to walk away from every black they meet.

I'm a little tired of letting bitches talk shit like they can whip my ass just because their punk white asses can't take what they dish out. I guarantee you this white boy, if you would ever try laying a hand on me, I will change the way you live.

Don't worry "black boy", I'm not gonna punch you in the face.

a·sym·met·ri·cal
[ˌāsəˈmetrək(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE

• having parts which fail to correspond to one another in shape, size, or arrangement; lacking symmetry.
    • having parts or aspects that are not equal or equivalent; unequal in some respect.
This word and definition will become very important here as the attacks begin.

Wed Jul 2nd 2008 by abagond

Most white Americans are blind to their racism. At least seven out of ten. And even those whites who do see it, most think it is not all that serious. Most whites live in nearly all-white neighbourhoods and see nothing racist in that. And when blacks do complain of racism, most whites do not believe it.

So why are whites so blind to their own racism? There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer is that they are not directly affected by it. They are never at the receiving end. Because they are white.

So when blacks talk about racism whites either have a hard time understanding it – because it is not something they have ever experienced – or they think blacks are making a big deal out of nothing: they are being too sensitive, they are living in the past and all that.

That is the short answer. The long answer is this:

America was founded on two crimes: taking the land of the red man and bringing the black man in chains to work it. To feel right and good about that whites had to be racist. They had to think of themselves as far better and more human than others.

So not only was the country built on racism, so were the hearts and minds of white people.

Back then racism was open, naked, violent and respectable. So respectable, in fact, that any white person who was was not racist, who related to blacks as equals, was called names or worse!

But then all that changed.

Starting in the 1970s racism became a sin among white Americans. It became kind of like how sex used to be: something you did not talk about openly and when you did you felt uncomfortable about it. It even had dirty words to go with it, especially the n-word. “Racist” became one of the worst things you could call a white person.

Because racism was no longer respectable it weakened considerably. But it was still there, it was still a part of how whites saw themselves and the world – but now they could not admit to it!

So then it got strange:

On the one hand, to hold on to their unfair position and advantages in society, to their white privilege, and feel right and good about it, whites had to believe racist lies. Like that blacks lacked brains or a willingness to work hard.

And yet, on the other hand, they knew that racism was wrong.

So in the 1970s whites reached a fork in the road: either give up racism and its advantages, in pride, position and wealth, or hang onto racism by becoming blind to it.

As it turned out, they gave up some of their advantages, like places at universities, but by and large they became blind. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Most whites live in nearly all-white neighbourhoods and see nothing racist in that.

Because whites enjoy living in neighborhoods with less crime.

And when blacks do complain of racism, most whites do not believe it.

Successful blacks also enjoy living in neighborhoods with less crime.
That's why they move to white neighborhoods whenever possible.
I actually have witnessed what you say here, and it's true. A Black family actually moved to my neighborhood where crime didn't exist, and when I met them, and became friends with them, they actually told me that they had to get out of the neighborhood that they were living in, and so they did get out due to the crime and such that was bad there in that neighborhood.

Well guess what, it was a predominantly poor black neighborhood in which they had moved from. They told me some stories, and they weren't good what they told me.

The thing to focus on in all of this (that is noted above), is the actual fact that blacks do get fed up with black on black crime, and they want no part of it anymore.

Great neighbors these people were to us, until they moved up state near their son who was in college up that way. We still keep in touch with each other as good family friends.

All blacks just like all whites aren't bad people, and you would hope that people could finally figure this out one day.

"The thing to focus on in all of this (that is noted above), is the actual fact that blacks do get fed up with black on black crime, and they want no part of it anymore."

No it is not. And there has never been a time blacks wanted any part of it.. What we are sick and tired of is whites talking about black on black crime when white on white crime happens in higher numbers that whites ignore in order to lecture us.
Wrong again
Like Many Parts of American Life, Violent Crime Is Still Largely Segregated | HuffPost

a·sym·met·ri·cal
[ˌāsəˈmetrək(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE

• having parts which fail to correspond to one another in shape, size, or arrangement; lacking symmetry.
    • having parts or aspects that are not equal or equivalent; unequal in some respect.
This word and definition will become very important here as the attacks begin.

Wed Jul 2nd 2008 by abagond

Most white Americans are blind to their racism. At least seven out of ten. And even those whites who do see it, most think it is not all that serious. Most whites live in nearly all-white neighbourhoods and see nothing racist in that. And when blacks do complain of racism, most whites do not believe it.

So why are whites so blind to their own racism? There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer is that they are not directly affected by it. They are never at the receiving end. Because they are white.

So when blacks talk about racism whites either have a hard time understanding it – because it is not something they have ever experienced – or they think blacks are making a big deal out of nothing: they are being too sensitive, they are living in the past and all that.

That is the short answer. The long answer is this:

America was founded on two crimes: taking the land of the red man and bringing the black man in chains to work it. To feel right and good about that whites had to be racist. They had to think of themselves as far better and more human than others.

So not only was the country built on racism, so were the hearts and minds of white people.

Back then racism was open, naked, violent and respectable. So respectable, in fact, that any white person who was was not racist, who related to blacks as equals, was called names or worse!

But then all that changed.

Starting in the 1970s racism became a sin among white Americans. It became kind of like how sex used to be: something you did not talk about openly and when you did you felt uncomfortable about it. It even had dirty words to go with it, especially the n-word. “Racist” became one of the worst things you could call a white person.

Because racism was no longer respectable it weakened considerably. But it was still there, it was still a part of how whites saw themselves and the world – but now they could not admit to it!

So then it got strange:

On the one hand, to hold on to their unfair position and advantages in society, to their white privilege, and feel right and good about it, whites had to believe racist lies. Like that blacks lacked brains or a willingness to work hard.

And yet, on the other hand, they knew that racism was wrong.

So in the 1970s whites reached a fork in the road: either give up racism and its advantages, in pride, position and wealth, or hang onto racism by becoming blind to it.

As it turned out, they gave up some of their advantages, like places at universities, but by and large they became blind. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

This whole post is racist.
It literally assumes that being white means you cannot be effected by racism.
Especially since Whites have been effected by racism on a regular basis, thanks to our corrupt media, since the chosen one was elected in 2008.

Whites have been racists since at least July 4, 1776.
This isn't 1776

So as I have asked many times and never can get answered despite all the silly ludicrous crap from white idiot racist extremists:

If anti-black racism hasn't improved, you would not be a free man today. Wealth cannot be distributed to the oppressed slaves, since nobody from that era is alive today. While racism against blacks by whites has eased, the racism by blacks against whites has increased big time.

Why white people can't face up to racism
Enrique Cerna

Robin DiAngelo grew up poor and white. But it was years before she realized that despite living in poverty, she still had privilege because she was white.

"I had a very deep sense of shame and otherness growing up… But I had never looked at how, where in my life did I have an advantage? And where might I have been actually benefiting from the oppression of somebody else?” she says.

DiAngelo has been working on race and social justice issues for more than 20 years as a lecturer, consultant and trainer. She’s the author of the book, What Does It Mean to Be White? Developing White Racial Literacy.

She came to understand her advantage and privilege when she took a job as a diversity trainer. It was eye opening as she worked with mainly white clients who were uncomfortable with having to deal with the issue of race. It was through that work that she developed the concept of “white fragility” to explain why white people have such difficulty in talking about racism.

DiAngelo and I talked about her work and why it is important for white people to have a serious conversation about race in America today.

Here are some excerpts from our conversation.

Q: Let’s talk about white fragility. What is it?

A: If you try to talk to white folks about race in a way that just allows them to assert their opinions and perspectives unchallenged, that tends to go pretty well. But if you push back on it, that tends to go really poorly.

I saw it so consistently in my work trying to talk to white people about race and racism and trying to guide them in self-reflection about 'What does it mean to be white?’ And it looked like a form of fragility. And fragility is not weak. I think that it’s weak in the sense of the difficulty to hold the discomfort, but it ends up functioning to block the challenge, to stop the conversation. It’s actually quite powerful in its effectiveness. It really does block the conversation, protect our worldviews and allow us to continue on without really understanding

Q: Or doing anything about it.

A: Exactly.

Q: I moderated a town hall about race. It included Mark O’Mara, the attorney who represented George Zimmerman in the shooting death trial of Trayvon Martin. I asked why is it so difficult for white people to talk about race? And his take on it was that they don’t have to.

A: Prior to the Civil Rights Movement, you could pretty openly come out as a white person and proclaim, Yes we are better. We deserve what we have because we are a fundamentally superior people. This is the great joke of Archie Bunker; his children were saying, You can’t say that anymore Dad! So, post-civil rights, to be a good, moral person and to be complicit with racism were morally exclusive. So, if you suggest I’ve done anything racist you’ve basically just suggested that I’m for racism…and, of course, that is a character insult to me. And now I need to defend my character…. This makes it virtually impossible to talk to white people about the inevitable blind spots and assumptions and patterns that we have across race by virtue of living in the society that we live in.

Q: Sometimes, in talking to someone who is white about issues of race, they say, I’m not racist. I think if you have to say that then maybe you have some tendency to be that way.

A: I’m hoping all the white people listening right now just heard you say that. It’s not convincing. So much of what we say, our claims, what we provide as evidence that we are not racist, it’s so problematic. It’s so unexamined. And it just isn’t convincing. What you’re probably thinking is, Uh oh, I’m probably interacting with someone who doesn’t have a lot of self-awareness.

Q: And I get angry about it.

A: The person will say that you’re too sensitive, right? It’s like this maddening Catch-22.

Another classic is: I was taught to treat everyone the same. I think that’s probably the number one white racial narrative. But that’s not actually humanly possible. We make meaning of the world through the cultural framework we were socialized to make meaning of it through. And it’s infused with biases and assumptions.

Q: You got your Ph.D. at the University of Washington and your focus was on whiteness. Then you started doing diversity work. What was the aha moment?

A: We had to go through a five-day train the trainer and it was a very racially mixed group of people. For the first time, my racial worldview was being challenged in a sustained, consistent way. It was very intense and then we went out into the field. And we were in rooms filled primarily with white people who were so angry and hostile and so upset that they had to have this conversation.

And over time, because it’s so predictable and patterned, the sociologist in me kind of said, Okay, what are we doing? And so then I got better and better at speaking back to it. I do want to add that because I grew up poor, I had a very deep sense of shame and otherness growing up. And I could have told you all about it, and I’m female and I could just tell you all the ways that I had never had an advantage. But I had never looked at how, where in my life did I have an advantage? And where might I have been actually benefiting from the oppression of somebody else? And so having that to draw from… helped motivate me.

Q: So what is the responsibility of someone who is white on issues of race?

A: When we think about race, we think about asking you [people of color], what’s it like? And for as long as we’ve been doing that, people of color have been saying, Well, actually why don’t you look at yourselves? Is it possible that you might be our problem? And certainly, there’s a relationship here. I do think that the way race has been set up in this country, it is a white problem. And if white people don’t get involved in addressing it, we can only support and maintain it.

Why white people can't face up to racism
Your cutting and pasting gets old. You constantly whine about how blacks are oppressed and nothing bad seems to happen to whites. Your idiotic rants get worse over time. You complain about blacks being shot by cops, more whites are killed by cops than blacks. It is a shame that people like you seem to thrive in self pity.

No one in school EVER said what Exactly the NEW black compromise is! Blacks million man stood up and had a compromise! What the heck is it , we're listening, federal holiday, MLK. Did it have 14 points to it?! National Advancement Association for the Colored People that really are my country tis of thee Manifest Destiny Puritan Pilgrims that need the power! Hippies smoking dope. Nobody wrote down what last generation was doing! He's got a Loooud outside voice and he's not tuuuurrning around, Today, and somebody else shot him , you're welcome kids. The end of racism to 99% of people is date a white girl successfully mind you, do everything else successfully, For being black, whaaat? Write a history that's not getting Tricked by the Eisenhower administration, who had Feds watching this "MLK" guy, burn this Successful and well-documented racial harmony that Actually existed along with loud Dixie support, and post-last-Northern-Republican. hatred, distrust, and "race war" in common vocabulary. didn't previously exist.

Last edited:

White men who are awake in today’s world will fuck you up without even blinking. Get ready for the return of white domination in boxing.

Your privileged lifestyle has made you a lot more soft than you realize.

......there's racism--on both sides--but not any where near the amount blacks/MSM want you to think there is

52893678_816001215409396_7597973407786860544_n.jpg

Forum List

Back