Why white people need to admit that black people know more about pain

You are clearly feeling some of the anger and yeah, probably even hate that has been developing for the South as they become further and further associated with racism. Maybe you won't say it outright, but it's hurtful as hell, isn't it? The South is where you grew up, where the people you know and love live, where your history is, and it sounds like you have a lot of pride in Southern values.

That's more "on topic". Where you get the freaking idea that the SOUTH is becoming "further and further associated with racism"? Ain't true.

Is it hurtful to me that know-nothings who probably have never spent here or think I live in double wide want to BLAME ME for their political losses and problems? Hell no. They're just ignorant cock muzzles. And they are only PICKING on the south because their party ABANDONED the South and hunted their Blue Dog Dem candidates to extinction for not supporting the party line.

Consider this... Does it HURT YOU -- that when you toss these inaccurate stereotypes about southerners being "white trash" and fat and stupid and racist --- that 40% of them ARE STILL LOYAL DEMOCRATS? There's the nut of your problem. I'm not hurt. I've been Indie and 3rd party politics for over 25 years now. But -- YOU are denigrating your own tribe. Does that hurt you?

And how stupid is it really to alienate MORE people than your tribe already has by being snarky and intolerant?

You got a LOT of " ism" issues.

BTW Bullwinkle - - Look at my board name. I've lived EVERYWHERE. Not just Fla Cal Tenn, but New York and Texas.. You want to know of all those places where racism is SILENT AND DEADLY???

Right in Nancy Pelosi's back yard. I lived on the San Fran peninsula and RARELY saw a black person. Sighted Condoleeza Rice a couple times at Stanford Shopping Center because it's REAL EASY to spot folks "shopping while black" at Stanford Shopping Center.. All the blacks lived across the 101 freeway in EAST Palo Alto. A true ghetto. White folks on the peninsula would refer to the "quality of life" on the peninsula. Meaning, thank GAWD those blacks all live in Palo Alto and don't attend our schools. And for 2 DECADES -- they couldn't get a BART train extension to the peninsula from across the Bay or South from San Fran for FEAR that "black people" might come over from Oakland. They even BLEW UP a perfectly good rail bridge that would have made the connection easier to accomplish.

Those folks haven't even BEGUN to confront their racism and never will. So don't tell me how the South is getting further and further into racism.. I enjoyed returning to tolerance and manners and honesty in Tenn more than you could ever know.

You've really got to stop lying flacaltenn.

There's another Confederate statue at the Tennessee Capitol. Here's what you need to know
Natalie Allison, USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee

Standing outside the Tennessee State Capitol Monday night, protesters threw a sheet over a statue of Sam Davis.

“No Confederate statues here,” said Dixon Irene, a leader from Showing Up for Racial Justice Nashville, shouting the group’s request into a megaphone after they marched downtown Nashville. “No monuments, no statues to people who don’t deserve them.”

► More: Protesters block Broadway, cover Confederate statue in Nashville

The monument has stood at the southwest corner of the Capitol for more than 100 years, but Monday night’s demonstration was perhaps the first of its kind directed at the Sam Davis statue, said Eddie Weeks, legislative librarian for the Tennessee General Assembly.

There's another Confederate statue at the Tennessee Capitol. Here's what you need to know

You live in Nashville or in a suburb since you claim to live next door to a player on the Tennessee Titans.

Your state passed this law in 2013:

Tennessee Heritage Protection Act of 2013. It prohibited “the renaming, removal, or relocating of any military monument…and includes streets and school names.” The law blocked Memphis leaders from removing a Nathan Bedford statue from the newly renamed Health Sciences Park and a statue of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States, from the newly renamed Mississippi River Park.

Memphis leaders are seeking a waiver from the Tennessee Historical Commission to relocate the statues but the process is deliberately difficult, requires a two-thirds vote of the 24-member commission, and the statues are still in place.

Like a poke in the eye, Confederate monuments and statues have been bothering African Americans here for more than a century. There are about sixty of them in Tennessee.

Tennessee’s Confederate Statues Still Standing - The Tennessee Tribune

It's a state law passed from the statehouse in NASHVILLE. Your home town. You have seen the monuments and know exactly what they stand for.

BTW Bullwinkle - - Look at my board name. I've lived EVERYWHERE. Not just Fla Cal Tenn, but New York and Texas.. You want to know of all those places where racism is SILENT AND DEADLY???

Right in Nancy Pelosi's back yard. I lived on the San Fran peninsula and RARELY saw a black person. Sighted Condoleeza Rice a couple times at Stanford Shopping Center. All the blacks lived across the freeway in EAST Palo Alto. A true ghetto. White folks on the peninsula would refer to the "quality of life" on the peninsula. Meaning, thank GAWD those blacks all live in Palo Alto. And for 2 DECADES -- they couldn't get a BART train extension to the peninsula from across the Bay or South from San Fran for FEAR that "black people" might come over from Oakland. They even BLEW UP a perfectly good rail bridge that would have made the connection easier to accomplish.

Those folks haven't even BEGUN to confront their racism and never will. So don't tell me how the South is getting further and further into racism..

White racism exists all over America but Johns OP is what you argue against because you don't want to admit how real what John said is.

Right in Nancy Pelosi's back yard. I lived on the San Fran peninsula and RARELY saw a black person. Sighted Condoleeza Rice a couple times at Stanford Shopping Center. All the blacks lived across the freeway in EAST Palo Alto. A true ghetto. White folks on the peninsula would refer to the "quality of life" on the peninsula. Meaning, thank GAWD those blacks all live in Palo Alto. And for 2 DECADES -- they couldn't get a BART train extension to the peninsula from across the Bay or South from San Fran for FEAR that "black people" might come over from Oakland. They even BLEW UP a perfectly good rail bridge that would have made the connection easier to accomplish.

Those folks haven't even BEGUN to confront their racism and never will. So don't tell me how the South is getting further and further into racism..
Way to miss the point.

You've really got to stop lying flacaltenn.

Natalie Allison, USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee

Standing outside the Tennessee State Capitol Monday night, protesters threw a sheet over a statue of Sam Davis.

“No Confederate statues here,” said Dixon Irene, a leader from Showing Up for Racial Justice Nashville, shouting the group’s request into a megaphone after they marched downtown Nashville. “No monuments, no statues to people who don’t deserve them.”

► More: Protesters block Broadway, cover Confederate statue in Nashville

The monument has stood at the southwest corner of the Capitol for more than 100 years, but Monday night’s demonstration was perhaps the first of its kind directed at the Sam Davis statue, said Eddie Weeks, legislative librarian for the Tennessee General Assembly.

You live in Nashville or in a suburb since you claim to live next door to a player on the Tennessee Titans.

Your state passed this law in 2013:

Tennessee Heritage Protection Act of 2013. It prohibited “the renaming, removal, or relocating of any military monument…and includes streets and school names.” The law blocked Memphis leaders from removing a Nathan Bedford statue from the newly renamed Health Sciences Park and a statue of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States, from the newly renamed Mississippi River Park.

Memphis leaders are seeking a waiver from the Tennessee Historical Commission to relocate the statues but the process is deliberately difficult, requires a two-thirds vote of the 24-member commission, and the statues are still in place.

Like a poke in the eye, Confederate monuments and statues have been bothering African Americans here for more than a century. There are about sixty of them in Tennessee.

Tennessee’s Confederate Statues Still Standing - The Tennessee Tribune

It's a state law passed from the statehouse in NASHVILLE. Your home town. You have seen the monuments and know exactly what they stand for.

Yes I do know what they stand for. They remind everyone of the history of the place. There's no attempt to hide it. If you walk norrth down the mall about 1/4 mile from that statue you'll find a 300 yard long marble wall with the ENTIRE HISTORY of Tenn on it. You suppose we should be knocking out about 70 yards of marble wall of Tennessee history as well? It's got names and dates and places on it. How racist is that?

stone-wall-with-tennessee.jpg

White racism exists all over America but Johns OP is what you argue against because you don't want to admit how real what John said is.

You're not reading what I wrote are you? I gave the OP a thank-you and posted that ONLY THING I disagreed on was his last sentence. Where he advises fellow whites to just "shut up" and listen. That only goes so far towards any kind of understanding or productive interaction. Especially if the folks you're listening to use the same TACTICS as white racists to stereotype and snark you to death and boredom.

You're not reading what I wrote are you? I gave the OP a thank-you and posted that ONLY THING I disagreed on was his last sentence. Where he advises fellow whites to just "shut up" and listen. That only goes so far towards any kind of understanding or productive interaction. Especially if the folks you're listening to use the same TACTICS as white racists to stereotype and snark you to death and boredom.
So it seems like you're trying to move on but again, on the Confederacy - you said it's your regional identity. Can you use the word in a sentence? It seems like when people talk about the Confederacy enslaving and raping and murdering and selling children and working men to death and stealing the futures and basic human dignities of tens of millions of human beings, those words just roll right off for you. Again - whining, and again, I mean this in the nicest possible way because you seem like a nice guy but there is some seriously messed up denial going on in your mind about this. The Confederacy was evil - pure evil. You get that, don't you? There's no gray area, no nothing. It was evil. As evil as the Nazis. As evil as anything. And black people have to LOOK at that flag and its monuments and watch otherwise decent people like you have their eyes glaze over and say, "It shouldn't bother you."

So it seems like you're trying to move on but again, on the Confederacy - you said it's your regional identity. Can you use the word in a sentence? It seems like when people talk about the Confederacy enslaving and raping and murdering and selling children and working men to death and stealing the futures and basic human dignities of tens of millions of human beings, those words just roll right off for you. Again - whining, and again, I mean this in the nicest possible way because you seem like a nice guy but there is some seriously messed up denial going on in your mind about this. The Confederacy was evil - pure evil. You get that, don't you? There's no gray area, no nothing. It was evil. As evil as the Nazis. As evil as anything. And black people have to LOOK at that flag and its monuments and watch otherwise decent people like you have their eyes glaze over and say, "It shouldn't bother you."

Can't have this discussion here. I'd be violating board rules by diverting the topic of this thread. But if you insist on sliming the South including YOUR OWN political constituency -- start a new thread in the appropriate forum and invite me in.

All replies to a topic really need to stick with that specific topic. We're not picky about content as long as threads each have a unique discussion in them and not the same free-for-all in every thread.

And heck man -- it's YOUR OWN THREAD. Shouldn't be giving the movie review and expounding on what YOU intended to talk about?

:5_1_12024:

I'm pretty sure these two knew a little bit about pain before they died.
Pretty sure their parents know a lot about the pain of a racist society.

Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom - Wikipedia
Its good they found out about pain but it would be more beneficial if they could have experienced this on a multi-generational level.

Think they did.. More dead white folks than in all other wars lie on the Civil War battlefields. My grandparent relatives in Nazi concentration camps did. Not like white folks don't know evil and suffering.
I need generational pain where whites feel pain, have children that feel the exact same pain, grow up and have more children that have the exact same pain all while their families are torn apart and their customs are destroyed..

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Dekster said:
How is feeling oppressed because of your race different than being oppressed because of poverty, or because you are in a shitty relationship you cannot escape, or because of who your family might be? I mean there are lots of situations in which one might feel oppression independent of their race. What makes race so much more in your mind? I don't understand your logic. I'm not questioning the veracity of your belief, so much as I am not sure what the basis of it is.
No One Has Ever Explained To My Satisfaction
Why I Should Care At All

Let Alone Sit And Listen To A Lecture About YT

Talk About Real Problems Like
Mamas With Multiple Baby-Daddies
Daddies With Multiple Baby-Mamas
Violent Crime, Drug Dealers
Truancy, Won't Study In School
Etc....

Real problems are what whites don't deal with that happen in their own communities.

Divorced women with no man at home raising kids.
Deadbeats who don't pay alimony.
Crime bosses and organized crime that controls the acquisition, shipping and distribution of drugs
Truancy. won't study in school
higher rates of crime
Child molestation
Crimes against family
Vandalism, Theft
assault/battery
Larceny
White collar crime
identity theft
Wall street robbery
Etc., Etc...…..
The same happens in many communities, regardless of race. Why do you say whites aren't dealing with it?
Probably because whites seem to try and ignore the fact that they commit the vast majority of crime. They like to focus on Black people. They should prioritize themselves and deal with their issues first.
They don't focus on black people. The blacks on here say whites commit the majority of crime....not the violent crimes in this country. PER CAPITA, it is not whites. The whites don't focus on blacks, they just respond to misinformation the blacks post.
Pure bullshit. They have about a million threads claiming Blacks are criminals when whites commit the lions share of crime in the US. Per capita is some silly ass stat whites made up that proves nothing other than they think reality is 1.3 dogs Wake me when you see .3 dogs somewhere.

Last edited:
Its good they found out about pain but it would be more beneficial if they could have experienced this on a multi-generational level.

It was good they found out about pain? serious?
Yes it was good. However it could have been better. Their entire race could have experienced the same thing for generations so they would know how it feels.

Bull shit, your step daughter is white. You wouldnt wish that on her. or would you? ... but lets see, some other peoples kids, yeah its ok for them. Either your BS'ing or you are a really fucked excuse for a human being. Which one is it?
My god daughter is 11% Black. I'm being serious. That event was used as some kind of idiotic equivalency so lets make it equivalent so whites can experience the generational pain.

So does the 11% exempt her from you badgering her about race? Or not? Pretty certain you'll be remembered as the grandpa that made her know that white guilt can't be absolved without pain.
I never badgered her about race when I thought she was totally white. Shes my daughter for all intents and purposes so I never look at her as white.

Yes it was good. However it could have been better. Their entire race could have experienced the same thing for generations so they would know how it feels.

Bull shit, your step daughter is white. You wouldnt wish that on her. or would you? ... but lets see, some other peoples kids, yeah its ok for them. Either your BS'ing or you are a really fucked excuse for a human being. Which one is it?
My god daughter is 11% Black. I'm being serious. That event was used as some kind of idiotic equivalency so lets make it equivalent so whites can experience the generational pain.

Well like I thought, your playing the part to make a point. But then 89% of your god daughter has experienced white privledge for over 400 years, maybe she hasnt experienced enough generational pain to make her legitimate.
She doesnt claim to know what it feels like to be Black. Shes been considered white all her life. She only sees what white society does and she rather be with Black people. Once we found out she had some Black in her she was deliriously happy. She identifies more with Blacks than she does with whites.

So it seems like you're trying to move on but again, on the Confederacy - you said it's your regional identity. Can you use the word in a sentence? It seems like when people talk about the Confederacy enslaving and raping and murdering and selling children and working men to death and stealing the futures and basic human dignities of millions of human beings, those words just roll right off for you. Again - whining, and again, I mean this in the nicest possible way because you seem like a nice guy but there is some seriously messed up denial going on in your mind about this. The Confederacy was evil - pure evil. You get that, don't you? There's no gray area, no nothing. It was evil. As evil as the Nazis. As evil as anything. And black people have to LOOK at that flag and its monuments and watch otherwise decent people like you have their eyes glaze over and say, "It shouldn't bother you."

Can't have this discussion here. I'd be violating board rules by diverting the topic of this thread. But if you insist on sliming the South including YOUR OWN political constituency -- start a new thread in the appropriate forum and invite me in.

All replies to a topic really need to stick with that specific topic. We're not picky about content as long as threads each have a unique discussion in them and not the same free-for-all in every thread.

And heck man -- it's YOUR OWN THREAD. Shouldn't be giving the movie review and expounding on what YOU intended to talk about?

:5_1_12024:
Whatever you say, man. If you ever have a change of heart send me a message. I am as far from a perfect person myself as anyone and am not trying to sound condescending or high-and-mighty or anything (though I'm sure I have), but like I said in the OP I'm a sensitive guy and it really messes with my head when it seems like people are having real obstacles to showing empathy, because I've had that problem myself. I'd just ask you to think about what's been said in this thread and naturally, make your own judgments.

Last edited:

Maybe whites do need to shut up and listen. And the only people using white racist tactics are white racists. Such as denying how past history impacts us today and saying to us to shut up, get over it and stop living in the past such as you do. That opinion only goes for race, and you use that tactic while you have the ability to talk about the past and how it impacts everything in this country but race. Another common technique you have just used that white racists here use is gaslighting. You did that as you started of on how we are using the same techniques white racists use. Fact is not snark.

You don't say shit to the racist whites here about what they do flacaltenn and the only people you ride is us and any white person who doesn't hold the racist point of view. You pretty much agree with them on everything. You have made racist comments yourself and you have trolled me doing the same thing, I'm 57 flacaltenn, that's about old age and have seen every technique white racists use. So understand that you are fooling no one.

Well, maybe it's about time white people started getting distressed. Because, this is just the sense I'm getting but I just don't think any pain white people endure in their lives is really comparable to what black people endure from living in a racist society. People like to say, "Well pain is pain, let's not dismiss what anyone's going through" but in truth I think white people who complain about racism against whites are wimps and are the very deepest level of pathetic. If you're white like me, this is my message to you - we don't know what real racism feels like so let's keep our mouths shut about what we don't know and listen for a change.

How is feeling oppressed because of your race different than being oppressed because of poverty, or because you are in a shitty relationship you cannot escape, or because of who your family might be? I mean there are lots of situations in which one might feel oppression independent of their race. What makes race so much more in your mind? I don't understand your logic. I'm not questioning the veracity of your belief, so much as I am not sure what the basis of it is.

That's a fair point and you can only really get a good picture of it from people who have experienced the real daily, weekly, systemic kind. It's not something white people are likely to experience much and definitely not on the level of what blacks, muslims, and other groups go through.

I'd like to say it's more about feelings than logic and it does help to get at least a taste of racism to have some idea but I guess the difference, in my limited experience at least, between feeling judged solely because of your race and other bad experiences like being anxious of losing your house, or the hurt of a failed relationship or yeah, even the very deep hurt that only family members who you're vulnerable with can give you is that it strikes something basic and having to do with your very existence when some one treats you like they already know who you are and starts passing judgments.

Again, my own experience is super limited to mainly annoyances and only a few kind of irksome moments in Japan, but it's like, I'm ordering from a young waitress there who has probably not seen or spoken to many foreigners in her life and I'm waiting for her to finish reading the menu to me, and when I look at her, she's staring at me with this look of total terror in her eyes. She leaves quickly and I see her asking another employee to take over for her while staring at me like I was a demon. I'd said no more than five words to her. That really hurt somehow, like, as if there was something fundamentally wrong and inhuman about me that had frightened her off. Even though I got that she was just naive about foreigners, I felt really messed up for the rest of the day. I'd never experienced anything like that and I didn't have more than a few other experiences like that but if that was something I experienced on a regular basis, really, it's just hard to imagine. It's a different kind of pain than anything else and it really seems to hit at something deeper than anything else.

I still don't see how it is fundamentally different than say a woman trapped and terrorized in an abusive relationship that she cannot escape for fear for life, for her children's lives, or because she doesn't have the resources to do it, or a child with an abusive alcoholic parent. Sometimes even racism isn't as internalized as one might believe. I have asked a couple older black men who lived Jim Crow variations of the same questions--first I asked them how it made them feel the first time they were called that N-word after they knew what it meant, and got intellectualized answers. I then asked them how it made them feel the first time they heard someone call their mother the N-word after they knew what it meant, and got much more angry and emotive answers where you could see it on their faces. In other words, they coped better with it themselves personally than they ever have with it in terms of their loved ones.

I do see what you're saying, I do. I went to a predominantly black middle school and dealt with a lot of bullying from black kids for being white. They tried to shove me into lockers, my first week this one kid humped my face in the locker rooms while everyone laughed, this other kid punched me in the face and left half my head one giant bruise for a month, this other kid would drop a wet condom on my binder, they called me little white boy, they tricked me, and they made me feel like shit. And at the time, yeah, I didn't feel very accommodating when they talked about white people being racists. I should also mention I dealt with an equal if not greater amount of crap from other white kids.

But I'm an adult now with the benefit of some perspective - what is that perspective? Well first off, you know where all those kids lived? It was in the poorest area of town which had regular gun violence and crime. It was separated from the nice, quiet area I lived in by just two blocks but those two blocks may as well have been a wall because neither of us EVER crossed to the other side. I never once saw a single black person in my nice half of town. The only thing that ever reached my side of town from where those kids were growing up was a bullet that landed in my family's driveway. And you know what happened to their half of town? It was demolished for a prettier housing project and they and all their families were pushed to the very outskirts of the city.

And where are those kids now? Well if statistics ring true, half of the men are in or have been to prison. So as kids they got some of their just desserts against whitey. Did I deserve it? No. But would I take being beat up over living in the world they live in? Any day of the week. Black people go through more than we do. It's just a fact. And when I say white people who complain about racism are wimps, I say it in the kindest possible way, because how often do people ever look past their own problems and notice that others have it worse than them?

Fuck that shit. Someone having a bad day is no excuse to be a bully.

I'm pretty sure these two knew a little bit about pain before they died.
Pretty sure their parents know a lot about the pain of a racist society.

Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom - Wikipedia

Yep. That is the way people like him and Tommy roll.

Forum List

Back