Why white people need to admit that black people know more about pain

So I'm a white guy. Just going off recent experience, yesterday I watched Blackkklansman in a Portland theater and it was hard to watch, mainly because I noticed I had to stop myself from laughing or smiling at certain parts that were really f'ed up. My impression was that that was the question the movie was putting to white people: "So, did you think it was funny? Did you like it?" Nothing was funny about that movie and yet it was making me realize that whether I want it there or not, like most white people, I've got a little racist living inside me.

There were a few black people in the theater and there was one black guy in the back who was laughing throughout the movie, especially at the racist scenes. Eventually someone shushed him and he blew up, "Don't you f'ing tell me to shut up! They keep saying it over and over, "N****r this! N****r that! N*****r! N****r! N****r! F*** this movie! F*** all you white mother-*******!"

He kept shouting and hitting the wall until an usher made him leave the theater, and after the movie the usher started apologizing to people leaving for the interruption. I told him I don't think he should be apologizing, and that while I get what he's saying, there's a bigger issue going on than just "he interrupted the movie." I said I don't think that was a movie you're meant to enjoy and I was glad that guy had been there.

So the friends I was with said, "I don't get why he got so mad." and in truth, I don't think I get it either, but what I do think I get if nothing else is this: That guy might have seemed angry to some people, but all I heard was someone really, really hurt. Like, beyond hurt.

I know a bit about pain - I tried to kill myself when I was a teenager; like, seriously tried to kill myself, with a note and everything and wound up in the hospital. And I'm a pretty sensitive guy. And I'm saying, I'm not sure even in my worst moments I have ever been as upset as that guy sounded to me. He didn't seem crazy - up until the moment some one told him to be quiet he sounded like a normal guy, and a normal person doesn't get that upset, they just don't.

And I've heard that kind of hurt from a lot of black people I've known or met, something deep, something carnal, and it's not about them - it's about white people. Not just the out-in-the-open racists but white people everywhere, esp. in the U.S., who won't acknowledge that something really twisted and sick is going on in this world and black people have been taking the brunt of it for a long time.

White people like to talk about equivalence a lot: "Well, maybe this black person has endured racism but racism against whites is real too." or "Well, I'm sure black people are having a hard time but that's no excuse for interrupting a movie, that was really distressing to me."

Well, maybe it's about time white people started getting distressed. Because, this is just the sense I'm getting but I just don't think any pain white people endure in their lives is really comparable to what black people endure from living in a racist society. People like to say, "Well pain is pain, let's not dismiss what anyone's going through" but in truth I think white people who complain about racism against whites are wimps and are the very deepest level of pathetic. If you're white like me, this is my message to you - we don't know what real racism feels like so let's keep our mouths shut about what we don't know and listen for a change.

well lets see, when one of my cousins in Reno NV was a teenager he got jumped by three black kids who beat him with a combination lock on a bike chain. he thought it was racist at the time, so does that make him really pathetic? people arnt allowed to comment on life as we experience it?

Me thinkest thou thinkest too hard. Maybe everyone in the movie theatre didnt catch the nuances in the guys voice that you did. Thats a possibility. Maybe they didn't quite know if he was upset about the movie... or something else.

But in general, your correct, Black people have suffered much more racism in America. History proves that.

Well, maybe it's about time white people started getting distressed. Because, this is just the sense I'm getting but I just don't think any pain white people endure in their lives is really comparable to what black people endure from living in a racist society. People like to say, "Well pain is pain, let's not dismiss what anyone's going through" but in truth I think white people who complain about racism against whites are wimps and are the very deepest level of pathetic. If you're white like me, this is my message to you - we don't know what real racism feels like so let's keep our mouths shut about what we don't know and listen for a change.

How is feeling oppressed because of your race different than being oppressed because of poverty, or because you are in a shitty relationship you cannot escape, or because of who your family might be? I mean there are lots of situations in which one might feel oppression independent of their race. What makes race so much more in your mind? I don't understand your logic. I'm not questioning the veracity of your belief, so much as I am not sure what the basis of it is.

That's a fair point and you can only really get a good picture of it from people who have experienced the real daily, weekly, systemic kind. It's not something white people are likely to experience much and definitely not on the level of what blacks, muslims, and other groups go through.

I'd like to say it's more about feelings than logic and it does help to get at least a taste of racism to have some idea but I guess the difference, in my limited experience at least, between feeling judged solely because of your race and other bad experiences like being anxious of losing your house, or the hurt of a failed relationship or yeah, even the very deep hurt that only family members who you're vulnerable with can give you is that it strikes something basic and having to do with your very existence when some one treats you like they already know who you are and starts passing judgments.

Again, my own experience is super limited to mainly annoyances and only a few kind of irksome moments in Japan, but it's like, I'm ordering from a young waitress there who has probably not seen or spoken to many foreigners in her life and I'm waiting for her to finish reading the menu to me, and when I look at her, she's staring at me with this look of total terror in her eyes. She leaves quickly and I see her asking another employee to take over for her while staring at me like I was a demon. I'd said no more than five words to her. That really hurt somehow, like, as if there was something fundamentally wrong and inhuman about me that had frightened her off. Even though I got that she was just naive about foreigners, I felt really messed up for the rest of the day. I'd never experienced anything like that and I didn't have more than a few other experiences like that but if that was something I experienced on a regular basis, really, it's just hard to imagine. It's a different kind of pain than anything else and it really seems to hit at something deeper than anything else.

Last edited:
So I'm a white guy. Just going off recent experience, yesterday I watched Blackkklansman in a Portland theater and it was hard to watch, mainly because I noticed I had to stop myself from laughing or smiling at certain parts that were really f'ed up. My impression was that that was the question the movie was putting to white people: "So, did you think it was funny? Did you like it?" Nothing was funny about that movie and yet it was making me realize that whether I want it there or not, like most white people, I've got a little racist living inside me.

There were a few black people in the theater and there was one black guy in the back who was laughing throughout the movie, especially at the racist scenes. Eventually someone shushed him and he blew up, "Don't you f'ing tell me to shut up! They keep saying it over and over, "N****r this! N****r that! N*****r! N****r! N****r! F*** this movie! F*** all you white mother-*******!"

He kept shouting and hitting the wall until an usher made him leave the theater, and after the movie the usher started apologizing to people leaving for the interruption. I told him I don't think he should be apologizing, and that while I get what he's saying, there's a bigger issue going on than just "he interrupted the movie." I said I don't think that was a movie you're meant to enjoy and I was glad that guy had been there.

So the friends I was with said, "I don't get why he got so mad." and in truth, I don't think I get it either, but what I do think I get if nothing else is this: That guy might have seemed angry to some people, but all I heard was someone really, really hurt. Like, beyond hurt.

I know a bit about pain - I tried to kill myself when I was a teenager; like, seriously tried to kill myself, with a note and everything and wound up in the hospital. And I'm a pretty sensitive guy. And I'm saying, I'm not sure even in my worst moments I have ever been as upset as that guy sounded to me. He didn't seem crazy - up until the moment some one told him to be quiet he sounded like a normal guy, and a normal person doesn't get that upset, they just don't.

And I've heard that kind of hurt from a lot of black people I've known or met, something deep, something carnal, and it's not about them - it's about white people. Not just the out-in-the-open racists but white people everywhere, esp. in the U.S., who won't acknowledge that something really twisted and sick is going on in this world and black people have been taking the brunt of it for a long time.

White people like to talk about equivalence a lot: "Well, maybe this black person has endured racism but racism against whites is real too." or "Well, I'm sure black people are having a hard time but that's no excuse for interrupting a movie, that was really distressing to me."

Wow. Good to know that no white person can ever experience the sort of pain a black person has. No poor white share cropper from Louisiana, ever felt the pain and misery of working long hours in the hot Sun like those poor blacks before them. Nope. Not ever.

What about them there Jews? They're all white and they've put up with more than any black person I've known. Nobody I've ever heard of sent 6 million black folks to the gas chambers.
Its never been proven that ANYONE sent 6 million to "gas chambers". It makes for attention tho.

That's been proven and more than 6 million blacks died as a result of slavery alone.
The Missing 100 Million - The Single Greatest Crime in History

well lets see, when one of my cousins in Reno NV was a teenager he got jumped by three black kids who beat him with a combination lock on a bike chain. he thought it was racist at the time, so does that make him really pathetic? people arnt allowed to comment on life as we experience it?

Me thinkest thou thinkest too hard. Maybe everyone in the movie theatre didnt catch the nuances in the guys voice that you did. Thats a possibility. Maybe they didn't quite know if he was upset about the movie... or something else.

But in general, your correct, Black people have suffered much more racism in America. History proves that.
You guys always have that one example of blacks doing something to you. But I had to fight whites from k-12 who thought they had the right to jump me because I was black. Then you go to college and have to fight white boys from rural towns who think they get to jump on you because they are superior and I must know my place. And if you are defending yourself here comes the police to handcuff you even if you didn't start the fight. So why go through all that you said at the beginning and just say what you said at the end.

Wow. Good to know that no white person can ever experience the sort of pain a black person has. No poor white share cropper from Louisiana, ever felt the pain and misery of working long hours in the hot Sun like those poor blacks before them. Nope. Not ever.

What about them there Jews? They're all white and they've put up with more than any black person I've known. Nobody I've ever heard of sent 6 million black folks to the gas chambers.
Its never been proven that ANYONE sent 6 million to "gas chambers". It makes for attention tho.

That's been proven and more than 6 million blacks died as a result of slavery alone.
And it's really annoying that this isn't taught in gradeschool textbooks. Nor is the fact that millions of male slaves, the average male slave, was sold around the age of fourteen and worked to death over 10 years. Few men saw the age of 25. So much for the argument that slavery didn't involve mass murder.

Blacks do feel more pain. That's because they keep shooting each other.

Dekster said:
How is feeling oppressed because of your race different than being oppressed because of poverty, or because you are in a shitty relationship you cannot escape, or because of who your family might be? I mean there are lots of situations in which one might feel oppression independent of their race. What makes race so much more in your mind? I don't understand your logic. I'm not questioning the veracity of your belief, so much as I am not sure what the basis of it is.
No One Has Ever Explained To My Satisfaction
Why I Should Care At All

Let Alone Sit And Listen To A Lecture About YT

Talk About Real Problems Like
Mamas With Multiple Baby-Daddies
Daddies With Multiple Baby-Mamas
Violent Crime, Drug Dealers
Truancy, Won't Study In School
Etc....

Last edited:
IM2 said:
You guys always have that one example of blacks doing something to you. But I had to fight whites from k-12 who thought they had the right to jump me because I was black. Then you go to college and have to fight white boys from rural towns who think they get to jump on you because they are superior and I must know my place. And if you are defending yourself here comes the police to handcuff you even if you didn't start the fight. So why go through all that you said at the beginning and just say what you said at the end.
Jumped On You,
And Mob BEAT You ??

I'm Calling Bull-Shit On This Entire Post
Your Credibility Just Went Through The Floor
On Just This One Lie

Glad I Saw It...

I'm The Same Age As You
And Went To Some Predominately Black Schools
Blacks Have It Far Better In White Schools
Than Whites Will Ever Have It In Black Schools
Because Of Bigoted Blacks Like YOU

IM2 said:
Jumped On You,
And Mob BEAT You ??

I'm Calling Bull-Shit On This Entire Post
Your Credibility Just Went Through The Floor
On Just This One Lie

Glad I Saw It...

I'm The Same Age As You
And Went To Some Predominately Black Schools
Blacks Have It Far Better In White Schools
Than Whites Will Ever Have It In Black Schools
Because Of Bigoted Blacks Like YOU
Just more competing in the oppression olympics...
May the most victimized win!!!

And it's really annoying that this isn't taught in gradeschool textbooks. Nor is the fact that millions of male slaves, the average male slave, was sold around the age of fourteen and worked to death over 10 years. Few men saw the age of 25. So much for the argument that slavery didn't involve mass murder.

The biggest problem is that whites dont want to hear about this stuff. Its something that interrupts the narrative that they have been taught and fight to hold on to. You will never see any acceptance of the facts. Instead you will hear all types of deflections and sometimes outright denials.

What a complete load of shit.

Dude. WE ARE DONE WITH WHITE GUILT.

DONE.

What I said at the end is true. By far blacks HAVE endured more racism in the US than anyone else. But the rest of my response to the OP ...(("Well pain is pain, let's not dismiss what anyone's going through" but in truth I think white people who complain about racism against whites are wimps and are the very deepest level of pathetic. If you're white like me, this is my message to you - we don't know what real racism feels like so let's keep our mouths shut about what we don't know and listen for a change.)))

Is that being a victim of Racism is subjective. Of course the racism someone experiences as a white, an asian or a latino is not going to be the same as someone who is black but it doesn't make someones experience any less real. We are all human beings and understanding the entire human experience is pretty helpful.

So in having a discussion on race, all white people are suposed to keep our mouth shut and have no back and forth discussion on experiences? Because it seems like every time a white person mentions something... its simply called deflecting or 'Trying to Impose their white privilage and wants everyone to listen to their white man opinion which is more important than anyone elses'.... I would never Equate an experience I had with that of an African American , because it would be quite different.
People can listen back and forth on both sides to understand each other a whole lot better.

That's a fair point and you can only really get a good picture of it from people who have experienced the real daily, weekly, systemic kind. It's not something white people are likely to experience much and definitely not on the level of what blacks, muslims, and other groups go through.

I'd like to say it's more about feelings than logic and it does help to get at least a taste of racism to have some idea but I guess the difference, in my limited experience at least, between feeling judged solely because of your race and other bad experiences like being anxious of losing your house, or the hurt of a failed relationship or yeah, even the very deep hurt that only family members who you're vulnerable with can give you is that it strikes something basic and having to do with your very existence when some one treats you like they already know who you are and starts passing judgments.

Again, my own experience is super limited to mainly annoyances and only a few kind of irksome moments in Japan, but it's like, I'm ordering from a young waitress there who has probably not seen or spoken to many foreigners in her life and I'm waiting for her to finish reading the menu to me, and when I look at her, she's staring at me with this look of total terror in her eyes. She leaves quickly and I see her asking another employee to take over for her while staring at me like I was a demon. I'd said no more than five words to her. That really hurt somehow, like, as if there was something fundamentally wrong and inhuman about me that had frightened her off. Even though I got that she was just naive about foreigners, I felt really messed up for the rest of the day. I'd never experienced anything like that and I didn't have more than a few other experiences like that but if that was something I experienced on a regular basis, really, it's just hard to imagine. It's a different kind of pain than anything else and it really seems to hit at something deeper than anything else.

I still don't see how it is fundamentally different than say a woman trapped and terrorized in an abusive relationship that she cannot escape for fear for life, for her children's lives, or because she doesn't have the resources to do it, or a child with an abusive alcoholic parent. Sometimes even racism isn't as internalized as one might believe. I have asked a couple older black men who lived Jim Crow variations of the same questions--first I asked them how it made them feel the first time they were called that N-word after they knew what it meant, and got intellectualized answers. I then asked them how it made them feel the first time they heard someone call their mother the N-word after they knew what it meant, and got much more angry and emotive answers where you could see it on their faces. In other words, they coped better with it themselves personally than they ever have with it in terms of their loved ones.

What an amazing and enormous load of crap.

Oh, and you can ease up on your feelings of guilt, or whatever, the movies classified as a "Comedy, Biography, Crime". You're supposed to laugh, Spike Lee would want you to laugh.

What an amazing and enormous load of crap.

Oh, and you can ease up on your feelings of guilt, or whatever, the movies classified as a "Comedy, Biography, Crime". You're supposed to laugh, Spike Lee would want you to laugh.

From the previews it looked like it has a lot of potential.

Except that spike lee was obviously more concerned with making current political points, then making a good movie.

So, no.

I still don't see how it is fundamentally different than say a woman trapped and terrorized in an abusive relationship that she cannot escape for fear for life, for her children's lives, or because she doesn't have the resources to do it, or a child with an abusive alcoholic parent. Sometimes even racism isn't as internalized as one might believe. I have asked a couple older black men who lived Jim Crow variations of the same questions--first I asked them how it made them feel the first time they were called that N-word after they knew what it meant, and got intellectualized answers. I then asked them how it made them feel the first time they heard someone call their mother the N-word after they knew what it meant, and got much more angry and emotive answers where you could see it on their faces. In other words, they coped better with it themselves personally than they ever have with it in terms of their loved ones.

I do see what you're saying, I do. I went to a predominantly black middle school and dealt with a lot of bullying from black kids for being white. They tried to shove me into lockers, my first week this one kid humped my face in the locker rooms while everyone laughed, this other kid punched me in the face and left half my head one giant bruise for a month, this other kid would drop a wet condom on my binder, they called me little white boy, they tricked me, and they made me feel like shit. And at the time, yeah, I didn't feel very accommodating when they talked about white people being racists. I should also mention I dealt with an equal if not greater amount of crap from other white kids.

But I'm an adult now with the benefit of some perspective - what is that perspective? Well first off, you know where all those kids lived? It was in the poorest area of town which had regular gun violence and crime. It was separated from the nice, quiet area I lived in by just two blocks but those two blocks may as well have been a wall because neither of us EVER crossed to the other side. I never once saw a single black person in my nice half of town. The only thing that ever reached my side of town from where those kids were growing up was a bullet that landed in my family's driveway. And you know what happened to their half of town? It was demolished for a prettier housing project and they and all their families were pushed to the very outskirts of the city.

And where are those kids now? Well if statistics ring true, half of the men are in or have been to prison. So as kids they got some of their just desserts against whitey. Did I deserve it? No. But would I take being beat up over living in the world they live in? Any day of the week. Black people go through more than we do. It's just a fact. And when I say white people who complain about racism are wimps, I say it in the kindest possible way, because how often do people ever look past their own problems and notice that others have it worse than them?

Dekster said:
Why I Should Care At All

Etc....

Real problems are what whites don't deal with that happen in their own communities.

Divorced women with no man at home raising kids.
Deadbeats who don't pay alimony.
Crime bosses and organized crime that controls the acquisition, shipping and distribution of drugs
Truancy. won't study in school
higher rates of crime
Child molestation
Crimes against family
Vandalism, Theft
assault/battery
Larceny
White collar crime
identity theft
Wall street robbery
Etc., Etc...…..

Dekster said:
Why I Should Care At All

Etc....

Real problems are what whites don't deal with that happen in their own communities.

Divorced women with no man at home raising kids.
Deadbeats who don't pay alimony.
Crime bosses and organized crime that controls the acquisition, shipping and distribution of drugs
Truancy. won't study in school
higher rates of crime
Child molestation
Crimes against family
Vandalism, Theft
assault/battery
Larceny
White collar crime
identity theft
Wall street robbery
Etc., Etc...…..
You forget animal sexual molestation rates. White people have a big problem with sexually abusing animals.

Forum List

Back