Why weren't both Bushes impeached and/or tried for war crimes?

CONGRESSMAN RON PAUL: Classified Cable Proves US Ok’d Saddam’s Kuwait Invasion

CONGRESSMAN RON PAUL: Classified Cable Proves US Ok

Oh, the old "April Glaspee" conspiracy. I think Ross Perot said this in 1992, and it's usually a train to crazy town.

The thing is, we didn't have a formal alliance with Kuwait at that time, and we didn't have a side in that fight,w hich was initially over control of just the Rumelia oil fields.

April Glaspie is on record saying exactly what she said to Saddam Hussien when he made it clear Iraq was going to invade Kuwait. In fact, later she stated that she thought the Iraqis were going to take a port town..and not the whole country.

And a port town was none of our business. When he took the whole country, he was in violation of the UN charter, thus cause for war.

Can't feel that bad for Kuwait. They and the Saudis bankrolled Saddam's war against Iran. They raised a rabid pit bull and wonder why they got mauled. But Saddam stepped over the line, and the UN, which you liberals all claim is soooo effin' holy, authorized force to remove him from Kuwait.

Oh bullshit.

Conservatives have no problem melting things down when it suits them. No Republican president has ever been impeached.

Democratic Presidents..however..have been impeached. Twice. And their authority is constantly questioned. Clinton and now Obama are prime examples of that.

It's de facto voter nullification.

Nixon resigned rather than be impeached, because his OWN PARTY could no longer support him.

Democrats supported Clinton, despite the fact he was caught red handed committing perjury, obstructing justice and abusing his power.

Also, it's kind of a stretch to call Andrew Johnson a "Democrat". He ran on the Republican ticket in 1864.

I sincerely WISH we could impeach Obama. His conduct of the economy is treasonous.

You'll have to explain how his conduct is "treasonous". He's colored in the lines and played by the book all along.

Not like Reagan..who really did commit treason.

Oh, the old "April Glaspee" conspiracy. I think Ross Perot said this in 1992, and it's usually a train to crazy town.

The thing is, we didn't have a formal alliance with Kuwait at that time, and we didn't have a side in that fight,w hich was initially over control of just the Rumelia oil fields.

April Glaspie is on record saying exactly what she said to Saddam Hussien when he made it clear Iraq was going to invade Kuwait. In fact, later she stated that she thought the Iraqis were going to take a port town..and not the whole country.

And a port town was none of our business. When he took the whole country, he was in violation of the UN charter, thus cause for war.

Can't feel that bad for Kuwait. They and the Saudis bankrolled Saddam's war against Iran. They raised a rabid pit bull and wonder why they got mauled. But Saddam stepped over the line, and the UN, which you liberals all claim is soooo effin' holy, authorized force to remove him from Kuwait.

:lol:

No one liked Hussien. That's why the invasion was green lighted. Even so..the second time around the rational was so preposterous even the UN balked.

Why weren't both Bushes impeached and/or tried for war crimes?
Because impeachment is a political/administrative process, and not (exactly) the same as a legal process.

Politics, at least in the cases involving a POTUS, precedes the law.

I cannot imagine what Bush I or II would be impeached for, anyway.

While one can object to their wars, one cannot make a credible case that what they did rose to the level of a war crime.

Now I can imagine any POTUS being impeached, of course.

After the Clinton impeachment it is obvious that "high crimes and misdemeanors" basically means nothing more than "We have the political power to impeach, we don't like this POTUS, and we're going to do it"

Did you never here of the President Johnson Impeachment in the 1860's? That proved the point. It was all about politics, Congress wanted to punish the South and Johnson refused. He survived impeachment because one Senator realized what he was doing and the precedent it would set and chose not to impeach him.

I sincerely WISH we could impeach Obama. His conduct of the economy is treasonous.

You'll have to explain how his conduct is "treasonous". He's colored in the lines and played by the book all along.

Riiiight. Reagan did commit Treason against the Sandinistas... poor babies.

I don't care if Obama "played by the book". The point is, he's phooked up the economy the worst I've seen in my life. 9% unemployment. $4.00 gasoline. 4 Trillion in new debt. Downgraded credit status.

In the classic words of Darth Vader, "You've failed me for the last time!" This clown needs to be thrown out so hard he bounces.

Because impeachment is a political/administrative process, and not (exactly) the same as a legal process.

Politics, at least in the cases involving a POTUS, precedes the law.

I cannot imagine what Bush I or II would be impeached for, anyway.

While one can object to their wars, one cannot make a credible case that what they did rose to the level of a war crime.

Now I can imagine any POTUS being impeached, of course.

After the Clinton impeachment it is obvious that "high crimes and misdemeanors" basically means nothing more than "We have the political power to impeach, we don't like this POTUS, and we're going to do it"

There's a major difference.

Whatever you think about Bush and Cheney's conduct of the war, the fact it, they got congressional approval for it. Congress could have stopped them at any time. But when 70% wanted some kind of horrific revenge, none of them had the guts to do that. Hillary, Kerry, Edwards, and the rest of them all signed on to going after Saddam, building Gitmo, and so on.

On the other hand, Clinton took it upon himself to lie in court, and use the power of his office to hide a sleazy personal affair that most politicians would have resigned over. In short, his conduct was illegal and it was all on him.

Oh bullshit.

Conservatives have no problem melting things down when it suits them. No Republican president has ever been impeached.

Democratic Presidents..however..have been impeached. Twice. And their authority is constantly questioned. Clinton and now Obama are prime examples of that.

It's de facto voter nullification.

Andrew Johnson was not a Democrat when he was impeached. He was elected Lincoln's VP as a member of the National Union Party.

Did you never here of the President Johnson Impeachment in the 1860's? That proved the point. It was all about politics, Congress wanted to punish the South and Johnson refused. He survived impeachment because one Senator realized what he was doing and the precedent it would set and chose not to impeach him.

Well, it was a little more than that. Johnson opposed everything that they had just got done fighting for. It would be like if Harry Truman put the Nazis back in power and restored the Japanese empire after VJ day.

There were 7 Republican Senators who voted against impeachment. Every last one of them got run out of office, that's how angry everyone was at Johnson at that point.

And honestly, given what followed, how JIm Crow creeped in and it took another 100 years to essentially change the South, Johnson's intransigence had disasterous consequences.

No one liked Hussien. That's why the invasion was green lighted. Even so..the second time around the rational was so preposterous even the UN balked.

NO, the UN didn't balk. They authorized Resolution 1441, which allowed an invasion without the need for a further resolution.

You know, I find it amusing that Democrats in Congress and the UN gave Bush a gun, and then didn't think he was going to use it on the guy who tried to murder his father.

Really? :lol:

NO, the UN didn't balk. They authorized Resolution 1441, which allowed an invasion without the need for a further resolution.

You know, I find it amusing that Democrats in Congress and the UN gave Bush a gun, and then didn't think he was going to use it on the guy who tried to murder his father.

Which congress in history has denied a President a war?

No one liked Hussien.

Says who? He kept the lid on that cesspool. Both Bushes committed more atrocities than Saddam ever did.

Saddam killed half a million Kurds in Operation Anfal. His war with Iran cost a million dead. The sanctions that kept Saddam "in the box" killed half a million Iraqis, most of them children.

At most, the Iraq War killed 100,000 Iraqis (forget the BS Lancet Reports) and 5000 Americans. Which is a tragedy, but leaving Saddam in power would have been just as bad. Keeping the lid on the cesspool forgets that there were 26 million people in this "cesspool".

Well, Clinton in the balkans in 1999 and the Community Organizer in 2011... not that they didn't fight wars, anyway.

But those were "good wars".

Really.

Keep telling yourselves that.

I don't care if Obama "played by the book". The point is, he's phooked up the economy the worst I've seen in my life. 9% unemployment. $4.00 gasoline. 4 Trillion in new debt. Downgraded credit status.

In the classic words of Darth Vader, "You've failed me for the last time!" This clown needs to be thrown out so hard he bounces.

No..he committed Treason against the United States by making a deal with Iran to keep the hostages in custody until after the election. That's a big deal.

And Obama didn't "phooked" up the economy. That was done by Bush. And royally. With a lot of help from Reagan and a little help from Clinton.

Well, Clinton in the balkans in 1999 and the Community Organizer in 2011... not that they didn't fight wars, anyway.

But those were "good wars".

Really.

Keep telling yourselves that.

They were.

Stopping genocide is always a good thing.

And you are kind of right..Congress denied those presidents the use of troops. They gave them missiles and bombs.

Which worked out in the end. :lol:

No one liked Hussien.

Says who? He kept the lid on that cesspool. Both Bushes committed more atrocities than Saddam ever did.

Saddam killed half a million Kurds in Operation Anfal. His war with Iran cost a million dead. The sanctions that kept Saddam "in the box" killed half a million Iraqis, most of them children.

At most, the Iraq War killed 100,000 Iraqis (forget the BS Lancet Reports) and 5000 Americans. Which is a tragedy, but leaving Saddam in power would have been just as bad. Keeping the lid on the cesspool forgets that there were 26 million people in this "cesspool".

The "cesspool" is much worse now. And your "death toll" figure is laughable. I think it was probably 100K Iraqi troops killed (easily)..and then 200K civilians.

In any case..the time to pop the lid on Saddam's power was when he was actively involved in killing people.

The Bushes just added to the death toll...when they did their thing.

Last edited:
No..he committed Treason against the United States by making a deal with Iran to keep the hostages in custody until after the election. That's a big deal.

Only to you and your unmedicated mind. The "October Surprise" BS has been debunked a long time ago. It also flies in the face of logic. Why wouldn't the Iranians have exposed the deal a long time ago? Especially after Reagan put the Kaybosh on their attempts to close off the straights of Hormuz in 1986? Why would the Iranians make a deal to get weapons SIX YEARS LATER? They needed those weapons in 1980, not 1986.

Your whole conspiracy theory falls apart when you realize the Iranians didn't get anything for their trouble.

The Iranians kept the hostages because Carter didn't negotiate with them in good faith. He dragged out the crisis to beat Ted Kennedy, but when it dragged on and on, he wanted a deal and the Iranians weren't going to oblige him. HIs sanctions wrecked their economy (and ours, for that matter).

Carter was weak,and once the Iranians realized they could screw with him, they did.

But they weren't going to take a chance with Reagan. That guy was supposedly a warmonger who wanted to blow shit up.

And Obama didn't "phooked" up the economy. That was done by Bush. And royally. With a lot of help from Reagan and a little help from Clinton.

You talk to business people, and why they aren't hiring even though their employees are overworked and stressed out, and they will tell you it's because of the uncertainty the Community Organizer has set into place, not shit that went down 3 years ago.

They were.

Stopping genocide is always a good thing.

And you are kind of right..Congress denied those presidents the use of troops. They gave them missiles and bombs.

Which worked out in the end. :lol:

Oh, sure it did.

Last time I checked, the Balkans are still messed up, and really, putting Al Qaeda alligned rebels in charge of Libya and encouraging more islamist takeovers isn't going to improve our position all that much.

He made no deal. If anything, he let it be known that his first act as President would be to secure the release of the hostages by any means necessary

Forum List

Back