Why we need high capacity magazines

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Why we need high capacity magazines​

Larry Correia:

We should ban magazines over X number of shots!

I’ve seen this one pop up a lot. It sounds good to the ear and really satisfies that we’ve got to do something need. It sounds simple. Bad guys shoot a lot of people in a mass shooting. So if he has magazines that hold fewer rounds, ergo then he’ll not be able to shoot as many people.

Wrong. And I’ll break it down, first why my side wants more rounds in our gun, second why tactically it doesn’t really stop the problem, and third, why stopping them is a logistical impossibility.

First off, why do gun owners want magazines that hold more rounds? Because sometimes you miss. Because usually—contrary to the movies—you have to hit an opponent multiple times in order to make them stop. Because sometimes you may have multiple assailants. We don’t have more rounds in the magazine so we can shoot more, we have more rounds in the magazine so we are forced to manipulate our gun less if we have to shoot more.

The last assault weapons ban capped capacities at ten rounds. You quickly realize ten rounds sucks when you take a wound ballistics class like I have and go over case after case after case after case of enraged, drug addled, prison hardened, perpetrators who soaked up five, seven, nine, even fifteen bullets and still walked under their own power to the ambulance. That isn’t uncommon at all. Legally, you can shoot them until they cease to be a threat, and keep in mind that what normally causes a person to stop is loss of blood pressure, so I used to tell my students that anybody worth
shooting once was worth shooting five or seven times. You shoot them until they leave you alone.

Also, you’re going to miss. It is going to happen. If you can shoot pretty little groups at the range, those groups are going to expand dramatically under the stress and adrenalin. The more you train, the better you will do, but you can still may miss, or the bad guy may end up hiding behind something which your bullets don’t penetrate. Nobody has ever survived a gunfight and then said afterwards, “Darn, I wish I hadn’t brought all that extra ammo.”

So having more rounds in the gun is a good thing for self-defense use.

Now tactically, let’s say a mass shooter is on a rampage in a school. Unless his brain has turned to mush and he’s a complete idiot, he’s not going to walk up right next to you while he reloads anyway. Unlike the CCW holder who gets attacked and has to defend himself in whatever crappy situation he finds himself in, the mass shooter is the aggressor. He’s picked the engagement range. They are cowards who are murdering running and hiding children, but don’t for a second make the mistake of thinking they are dumb. Many of these scumbags are actually very intelligent. They’re just broken and evil.

In the cases that I’m aware of where the shooter had guns that held fewer rounds they just positioned themselves back a bit while firing or they brought more guns, and simply switched guns and kept on shooting, and then reloaded before they moved to the next planned firing position. Unless you are a fumble fingered idiot, anybody who practices in front of a mirror a few dozen times can get to where they can insert a new magazine into a gun in a few seconds.

Continue reading:
An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Why we need high capacity magazines | Flopping Aces

It's very simple we don't know how much ammo we may need in a gun fight and changing magazines in a gun fight may cost very precious time.

It's very simple we don't know how much ammo we may need in a gun fight and changing magazines in a gun fight may cost very precious time.

No, it costs precious time gunning down innocent civilians in mass shootings.

You all need to realize, assault weapons and high round capacity magazines are not needed for anything but killing lots of people in a short time.

You all need to realize, assault weapons and high round capacity magazines are not needed for anything but killing lots of people in a short time.

Or defending yourself and your family against intruders who don't care about following gun laws.

You do a lot of gun fighting there cmikey? When was the last time you were in a gun fight and ran out of ammo. Was it bad? Go ahead, tell some stories about that time and all the bad guys you killed. Did it come down to hand to hand? That's the macho way to kill you know?
But go ahead, should be interesting.

Time and more importantly our lives, or the lives of those we love.

It take a little common sense of course liberals have extremely little common sense :badgrin:

According to police stats, police officers miss 17-22% of the time in a gun fight.

Under high stress, low light conditions, it' very hard to hit a moving target.

What if there are multiple assassilants?

Also often it may take multiple hits to "stop" an assailant.

It's rather not that hard to figure out that you can't have too much ammo if you need it to protect your life or a family member.

You do a lot of gun fighting there cmikey? When was the last time you were in a gun fight and ran out of ammo. Was it bad? Go ahead, tell some stories about that time and all the bad guys you killed. Did it come down to hand to hand? That's the macho way to kill you know?

I can. I remember it well. It was back at Thermopylae, granted we didn't have firearms at the time, though it would have been nice.

Which, I am sure you would like to be able to do if a group of people physically attack you, or worse, tries to rape you or a family member.

How about instead of demonizing the tool that is designed to protect us, we become it's masters?

Or defending yourself and your family against intruders who don't care about following gun laws.

Intruders with assault weapons? Maybe if you're a drug kingpin..

Which, I am sure you would like to be able to do if a group of people physically attack you, or worse, tries to rape you or a family member.

How about instead of demonizing the tool that is designed to protect us, we become it's masters?

You guys are getting sillier. A rapist wouldn't lug around an assault weapon. How could he rape you and hold that gun at the same time..

You're not making sense.

It take a little common sense of course liberals have extremely little common sense :badgrin:

According to police stats, police officers miss 17-22% of the time in a gun fight.

Under high stress, low light conditions, it' very hard to hit a moving target.

What if there are multiple assassilants?

Also often it may take multiple hits to "stop" an assailant.

It's rather not that hard to figure out that you can't have too much ammo if you need it to protect your life or a family member.

Nonsense.

Practice makes perfect.
I continually practice with my .45cal. I have at least 6 clips. When I carry I always have two clips with me.
Zeke thinks it's easy to hit a target that's either moving, or partially hidden and shooting at you. Maybe Zeke should try a game of paintball to verify his/her gunfight theories.

You guys are getting sillier. A rapist wouldn't lug around an assault weapon. How could he rape you and hold that gun at the same time..

You're not making sense.

Not entirely sure what you think is silly about shooting someone or a gang of someones who try to rape you or a family member.

Nonsense.

And this post is precisely why you aren't know around here as someone who can create an impressive argument.

And you think the absurd situations imagined to justify your argument are impressive? Certainly not in a positive way.
Guns of themselves are merely machines, objects. People with loaded guns are an event. I have no fear and no problem with firearms, but your type of wild-eyed imagining only re-enforces the tendency of those who want more control.

Intruders with assault weapons? Maybe if you're a drug kingpin..

Home invader was killed with his own assault rifle, Shreveport police say | NOLA.com

Where do you guys live, Somalia?

Where do you guys live, Somalia?

Is that in Detroit? Chicago? NYC? :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back