Why we need healthcare reform

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by rdking647, Jun 27, 2009.

1. rdking647

rdking647 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Me and my wife have preexisting conditions that make it so private insurers dont want to cover us. If the free market worked there would be a company that would cover us for a price. There is none. I have to go into the hi risk pool to get insurance since NO private company wants to cover us. I can pay for my insurance IF IT WAS OFFERED. but it isnt. thats why the government needs to get involved

2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I'm in a similar situation. Because I moved from one state to another, I lost my insurance covereage. The company I was with offered my Guaranteed Issue coverage, which is a very bad plan at a very high price. My overall med costs would nearly triple under the plan from around $6000 per year to over $15,000 per year. That is just for me, not including my kids.

What really pissed me off is that when I applied for my kids, they used my pre-existing condition against my kids as they offered me a policy for them at twice the normal rate. I told them to fuck off and went with another company that didn't know about my condition and got my kids covered for less than what I was paying.

So for now, I'm going to cover my own costs and go without insurance. My costs are only around $5000 per year. The only problem I'll have now is that I won't have any catastrophic covereage. But I know; that's my problem. I should never have gotten sick in the first place. Damned if I could help it though since it was genetic.

3. annie52

annie52 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not good at putting my thoughts into words but the way I see it, if the government gets involved then to me it seems like what they want is everyone to be dependent on them.

I know with the smart folks on this board someone will give a good answer better than I can.
    Annie

4. immto

immto Return to Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I feel for you and those in positions similar to yours. I agree we need Healthcare reform, but not the Public option that's being pushed right now. We need reform that will end the ability of current Insurance companies from being able to to raise rates and cherry pick clients. A public option will do nothing more than destroy the Superior Healtcare we have over all.

5. rdking647

rdking647 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Does Ohio have a hi risk pool? That is what i use in wisconsin and when I move im moving to another state that has a hi risk pool for catastrophic coverage

6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    It's called oppression. Your ancestors knew how to deal with that.$ell out and hit the road. Amurka is finished.
    Aint gonna be nunna that thar health care reformatory.
    That's a $ham to push more pork in the congress.
    The owners of the U$ of Mpyre, Incorporated, will NEVER allow that to happen. :cuckoo:

7. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    No insurance company wants to insure you because doing so would require it raise its rates for all other policy holders and that would put it at a competitive disadvantage with other insurance companies. The bills under consideration in the Congress would require that all insurance companies provide insurance to people with preexisting conditions at standard rates, but while this will remove the competitive disadvantage it will mean that people without preexisting conditions will pay more for their health insurance. Good for you but arguably bad for almost everyone else.

8. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
  9. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,536
    That just sounds paranoid.
    Investigate something besides Fox and other right wing sources, who seem to spout the talking points from the insurance and pharmaceutical companies ... huge lobbying groups.

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,718
    if the government gets involved, you may have insurance but you won't have health care. what you will have is a chance to stand in line and wait for health care.. I don't get why people don't get that. it's happens in countries with a population of 30 million,, what do you think will happen in a country of 350 million and half of mexico???? huh??? :eusa_eh: