Why We Have Not Been Hit Again

If there were suitcase nukes that went missing, they would well be past their shelf life by now. I was a nuclear weapons officer in the military, and know a little about the small critters that go boom. The degree of nuclear fuel refinement that is necessary gives them a shelf life that is in the six year range. Beyond that and their yield deminishes dramatically and within three years they become useless. Even with modern innovations that have come down the pike since I last served as an Officer (1983), the shelf life parameters can not change that much as refinement of fuel is refinement of fuel and that has not changed..

Okay so they'll set off a nuclear dud.

Perhaps it won't kill everyone in Manhattan but you could still take your eye out with that thing!

There is NO reason to hit us again. Osama Bin Ladin accomplished his mission.

#1) Drag America into a war she couldn't win.

#2) Exhaust our military might

#3) Destroy our economy with a prolonged global conflict.

#4) Turn most of the countries of the world against the U.S.

#5) Decrease American's support for Israel and Zionism.

1. Check. The "War on Terror" is an unwinnable war against an ill-defined enemy. You cannot wage a war on an ideal, which is what terrorism is. There will always be people who wish to hurt others for whatever reasons.

2. I'm inclined to disagree that we've exhausted our military might. I believe we're spread far too thin around the world, but I don't believe for a second that we'd hesitate to jump into a fight with our next "enemy" whether real or imagined.

3. Check. Though there were many causes to our economic meltdown, the price of our foreign interventionism certainly added to the problem in a big way.

4. Check. I don't think I need to go into detail about our diminished reputation around the world.

5. I don't believe this one has happened, and I don't believe it's likely to happen.

Personally I think we're very nearly done in Iraq.

It is my understanding that the Marines did a fine job in Fallujah and that city is basically taking care of itself. (Kudos the boots on the ground for figuring out how to solve this problem even though the CnC thought the mission was completely different than the solution the NCO's came up with, BTW)

Bagdad is also growing weary of AlQada bombs blowing up Iraqis, and the Shia/Sunni problems seems to be less servere.

Can we leave yet?

Sure! Off to Afghanistan for the troops now. And after we "win" there, maybe Iran?

I'm not sure we can afford to win too many more wars.

Can't we just send Afghanistan an industry or two of ours and call it good?

Maybe a FREE TRADE importation on opium would be enough.

I'll plow under my poppie crop if it would help.

Forum List

Back