WHY we have an illegal immigration problem....

Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Members of the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association "have told me that they have a lot of people applying but that when they actually talk to them, it turns out that they're on unemployment and not looking for work," said Amy Frankmann, the group's executive director. "It is starting to make things difficult."

So, you're jumping to the Republican side? Get rid of social programs that entice people to actually turn down a paying job. Sounds good to me.

Rick

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Members of the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association "have told me that they have a lot of people applying but that when they actually talk to them, it turns out that they're on unemployment and not looking for work," said Amy Frankmann, the group's executive director. "It is starting to make things difficult."

So, you're jumping to the Republican side? Get rid of social programs that entice people to actually turn down a paying job. Sounds good to me.

Rick

I am NOT jumping on the Republican side. There was NO data in this article concerning the political leanings of the people turning down jobs. The point is, as long as we, as Americans decide we are just fine and dandy collecting unemployment, rather than busting our asses to better ourselves, we will continue to have illegal immigrants come in and take those jobs. Our grandparents would be so proud....

I don't like it, but there will always be a few who game the system. No one will get rich on unemployment or as a seasonal landscaper. Better we require community service or attendance in an education/training program before tossing out a system that does keep most of the recipients surviving.

I don't like it, but there will always be a few who game the system. No one will get rich on unemployment or as a seasonal landscaper. Better we require community service or attendance in an education/training program before tossing out a system that does keep most of the recipients surviving.

How do we know this? There are no checks and balances in the system. The system for unemployment is almost as bad as the system for welfare and food stamps. They are out of control and no one in our government knows who is gaming the system or to what degree.

How about if the Govt stops extending the unemployment payments??

Stop the free ride and folks will have to go back to work. .

Common sense. Jeeze.

Common sense. Jeeze.

And what of those who TRULY cannot find a job that will support their families? Put the families on the street? Turn the children over to social services?

Perhaps people who collect unemployment would be required to provide community service? That doesn't sound like a bad idea. If they want their benefits, they must work for the good of the community to receive them. If they're not ok with that, then they can go find another job. Seems like a reasonable win/win without just shutting down benefits altogether, as those collecting once paid taxes into unemployment.

Common sense. Jeeze.

And what of those who TRULY cannot find a job that will support their families? Put the families on the street? Turn the children over to social services?

2nd job.. 3rd job... charities.. family.. friends... church shelters... Army recruiter... move to where there are more jobs and lower cost of living... child care co-ops in neighborhoods.. etc

It is the RARE person who is helpless to the point where they can do nothing to support themselves or even do the basics to take care of themselves... hell, I support a charity that takes many mentally challenged people and trains them in basic jobs, gets them in living situations with each other, shows them how to bank and pay bills, use public transportation, etc... and if I see these ones doing it, there is no reason why many of these physically and mentally able persons cannot sack up and do what they have to do

Last edited:
Perhaps people who collect unemployment would be required to provide community service? That doesn't sound like a bad idea. If they want their benefits, they must work for the good of the community to receive them. If they're not ok with that, then they can go find another job. Seems like a reasonable win/win without just shutting down benefits altogether, as those collecting once paid taxes into unemployment.

Unemployment is one thing, welfare is another...

Common sense. Jeeze.

2nd job.. 3rd job... charities.. family.. friends... church shelters... Army recruiter... move to where there are more jobs and lower cost of living... child care co-ops in neighborhoods.. etc

It is the RARE person who is helpless to the point where they can do nothing to support themselves or even do the basics to take care of themselves... hell, I support a charity that takes many mentally challenged people and trains them in basic jobs, gets them in living situations with each other, shows them how to bank and pay bills, use public transportation, etc... and if I see these ones doing it, there is no reason why many of these physically and mentally able persons cannot sack up and do what they have to do

Exactly.

I've been in that position and I know. I drew unemployment once in my working life. I looked for a job but could find nothing. Of course while drawing that check your not looking as hard as you would if you had no money coming in.

Long and short. When my unemployment ran out I found work because I went looking for it. I wasn't picky and found Two part time jobs that worked great for me. Neither one payed a lot but it was enough to keep me in groceries and the rent payed.

I've also moved State three time in my life. Forida to NH. NH to NC and NC back to Florida. If you can't find a job in one place, believe me, there will be one in another.

Most people would be surprised at what they can do when the HAVE to do it.

If the Govt keeps extending unemployment there won't be to many out there looking for work. Why should they. Jeeze.

Common sense folks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back