Why WE Are An Exceptional People...And Should Be Proud Of Who We Are

What made us exceptional died ten years after we got it. Freedom. Freedom from tyranny and despotic governance. Then the typical statist mentality kicked in and we ratified the constitution to create the federal monstrocity we have now.

Our independence died long ago. We just replaced who are masters are. Nice work. Very exceptional.

The Federalists were nothing more than your present day progressives...

"Government, government, government."

Obviously the Democratic-Republicans were opposed to that idea.... I suppose they won but lost....

Amendments XI-XXVII pretty much allow the government to dictate.....

They use those amendments to steal liberty....

Damn that XIII Amendment....stealing liberty!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!

And, like the others, Nick will read what I write about him, anyway. Jroc, JRK, BigFitz, and teapartysamurai read me all the time. Pussies.

:lol:

Only, Charles, when we are living up to the principles of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution.

Otherwise, we are no different than other peoples of the planet.

What made us exceptional died ten years after we got it. Freedom. Freedom from tyranny and despotic governance. Then the typical statist mentality kicked in and we ratified the constitution to create the federal monstrocity we have now.

Our independence died long ago. We just replaced who are masters are. Nice work. Very exceptional.

The Federalists were nothing more than your present day progressives...

"Government, government, government."

Obviously the Democratic-Republicans were opposed to that idea.... I suppose they won but lost....

Amendments XI-XXVII pretty much allow the government to dictate.....

They use those amendments to steal liberty....

Damn that XIII Amendment....stealing liberty!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!

Not to mention evil Amendment XIX.

And perhaps most importantly, precisely what does being "exceptional" get us? Does it mean that we get to invade and blow the shit out of other countries when we feel like it? Does it mean that normal rules of behavior don't apply to Americans? What do we get to do with this label of "exceptional"?

Unfortunately to most conservatives, and neo-cons in particular, that’s exactly what ‘American exceptionalism’ means.

...In fact?

Seventy Six of them.

I liked this piece. WE are indeed unique in the world...and what we have is worth preserving and defending.

Happy Independence Day folks...

ENJOY!

4th Of July Special: Here are the 76 Most American Things Ever

76) John Wayne is dead
75) Ellis Island is closed. Immigration a disaster
74) The service industry has become a bunch of pricks treating you like youre interupting their day
73) BBQ? We feed our cows and pigs corn and shoot them up with antibiotics making them toxic to us.
72) The Grand Canyon...is there. Was there before America and will be there long after we are gone.
71) American Football - One of many government subsidiezed distractions ( but awesome! Go Packers! )
70) John Deere - builds it engi9nes in Mexico
69) Muscle cars - guzzle gas
68) Doughnuts - cause obseity
67) Rodeos - really? I even have to dignify this one with a response?
66) antipersperant deordorant - contains aluminum cloride toxic to humans
65) M-1 Garand - ok yeah that ones awesome
64) Country Music - is to REAL music what Professional wrestling is to real sports
63) Drive Ins - awesome but a dying medium
62) The middle class - being destroyed
61) Thanksgiving - a day of gluttony celebrating white peoples rise over the red people.
60) The Home shopping network - Pretty sure this is one of the signs of the apocalypse
59) Super Heros - awesome but wouldnt REAL heros be better?
58) The Internet - which has been monetized and will soon be conpartmentalized if net nuetrality fails
57) Eastern lighthouses - relics from the past
56) Southern Hospitality - a myth, like Minnesota nice
55) Boy Scouts - a sexist homophobic indoctrination organization ( and founded in Britain )
54) Multiculturalism - huh? really?
53) America Revolution - A war fought to remove the power of the corporation over the people so we could replace that with new America corporations with power over the people
52) US Army/Navy - awesome!
51) Buffalo wings - not made of buffalo...false advertising
50) Vegas Strip - a gaudy shrine to materialsm and greed built by criminals and stolen from then by politicians ( better criminals )
49) PB&J's - Here kid heres some sugar for you. Lazy moms quick lunch for kids.
48) Budweiser - The king of beers also called Butt Wpier because its known to give you the shits.
47) The 40 hour work week - Thank you, Unions.
46) Cheeseburgers - see #73
45) Broadway - Overpriced musical' based on Spiderman
44) Bugs Bunny - deemed too violent for children
43) THIS LIST DIDNT INCLUDE A 43 - HOWS THAT FOR AMERICAN?
42) Apple PieApples top the list as containing the most pesticides
41) InstantFame/Reality TV - Gave the world Snooki and it made the GOOD list?
40) Disneyland - Racist Jew Hating Disneys "perfect" world
39) Solid Body Electric guitars - Hells yes!
38) Harley- Davidson - the value of the Harley-Davidson brand fell by 43% to $4.34 billion in 2009...lets be proud!
37) Cheesesteak - a heart attack waiting to ahppen also see #73
36) News Years Eve in Times Square - an overly commercialized faux celebration ( if youve been tehre for News Years Eve in the last five years you know what I mean )
35) Uncle Sam - Actually refers to Sam Wilson a meatpacker from New York
34) Oil - which we get from other nations
33) Buffet Line - Heres the food we cooked hours ago. Wait in line to serve yoruself so we dont have to actual hire wait staff.
32) Route 66 - largely replaced by the Interstersate highway system
31) Yellowstone - like the Grand Caqnyon, a natural wonder that has nothing at all to do with us.
30) McDonalds - over a billion served and we wonder why theres an obesity problem in this country
29) NasCar - Spending millions of dollars to drive in circles since 1947. The perfect American metaphor
28) US Marine Corp - ranked 24 places higher than the Army and Navy. And the Air force isnt even listed. So much for supporting ALL our troops.
27) The Silver Screen - bringing us such classics as BioDome and Earnest goes to jail
26) Jazz Music - created by a disenfranchized people opressed by American racism
25) Religious Freedom - as long as youre a Christian that is
24) The B-17 Flying Fortress - notice that all the things that are actually good on this list are weapons or soldiers?
23) M-16 - see#24
22) Gold Rush - someone found a pretty rock and thousands of others raced to see if they could find some too. And this is better than the fucking Marines? are you kidding me?
21) Johnny Cash - a herione addict but a fantastic story teller
20) Cadillac - didnt we just bail out the auto industry?
19) Lucky Strikes - Because Cancer is a good thing?
18) Skyscrapers - yeah we invented them but the tallest ones are all in other countries
17) Blue Jeans - failed tent salesman cuts his tents into pants, currently made in china and the North Mariana Islands but labeld as made in the USA
16) Rock and Roll - The most popular and successful Rock and Roll band of all time was British
15) Bacon - see #73
14) Ford F-150 see #20
13) Kentucky Bourbon/Tennessee Whiskey - Yes lets praise the drug of choice of millions of Americans...and Weed isnt on this list sheesh
12) Hot Dog - take all the remnants, grind them together and feed it to humans. Also, not made of dog. False advertising
11) Cowboys - the vets of the civil war who couldnt return home due to their PTSD
10) The 2nd Amendment - Even though the COnstitution is listed the 2nd amendment gets special consideration because of the guns...fuck freedom of speech right?
09) George Washington - He grew weed. Cool guy
08) The Statue of Liberty - A gift from France
07) Mount Rushmore - unfinished, was supposed to include bodies but ran out of funding
06) Resolve - huh? no one else in the world possess resolve? How about fucking Winston Churchill?
05) Coca Cola - Caffiene our other drug.
04) Baseball - performance enhancing drugs and government subsidized distraction
03) Winning - ecause we are now Charlie Sheen
02) The Constitution - Hell yes! too bad its being torn to shreads every day by our government
01) The American People - two times on the hell yeahs!

Last edited:
The Grand Canyon IS truly exceptional, but what did Americans do to create it?

The Boy Scouts are exceptional also, but that organization was founded in Britain.

This more like "76 things I like", than proof of American exceptionalism.
The exceptionalism is found in that you would like the 76 things listed, in which other nations or persons may not like, and this is the difference in which brings about the exceptionalism found within our characters, as opposed to the dislikes by others in the world, whom may oppose what we like that had made this nation strong and free.

Here's that word "exceptional" again.

Personally, I don't care whether the average American is "exceptional" or not. Can someone tell me why it's important that we're exceptional? And precisely hat did the average American do to be "exceptional"?

And perhaps most importantly, precisely what does being "exceptional" get us? Does it mean that we get to invade and blow the shit out of other countries when we feel like it? Does it mean that normal rules of behavior don't apply to Americans? What do we get to do with this label of "exceptional"?

Looking forward to responses.

Still haven't received a straight answer to my questions.

What difference does it make if we're "exceptional (whatever that means)"?

What does it get us? How does it manifest? Who cares?

I was gonna have some fun with this, but why bother since Vidi has done such an excellent job...

I just hope its taken as "fun" But seriously some of those are just fucked up. We're great because of reality tv? WTF?????

Basically the whole list comes down to this:

We are great because we made awesome weapons and have alot of kick ass soldiers. In other words, we're great because we can kick your ass.

OH and WHERE the hell is number 43? Anyone else see the irony in that? A list of 76 things that only contains 75 things because we forgot a number?

Last edited:
It would be too easy to have fun with that list of 76, but why be cynical on this hot, too hot, summer day. Anyone know how to add AC to a bicycle, that could be 77. Here's my list.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/126242-an-american-life.html#post2547091

My mom often told us stories of the great depression and when we only had stale bread and coffee to dunk it in, she would remind us that they had nothing so stop your bitching. But oddly maybe it is dopamine but I have always felt life was good and work would eventually bring us some of the good things. But does it matter that we live in America, could a savage be just as happy or a Iranian or an Iraqi? When people claim some particular ideology is best, they forget people do not live in ideology, they live in communities.

repost

Uniquely American - In no particular order

The Amish living peacefully in their way
A smoke filled diner on a busy street filled with calloused hands
A tractor trailer passing a Chevy at 75 in the middle of the night along 95
A USO bus in a hot Florida city windows open
A bicycle all decked out in red white and blue on the fourth with a girl’s large smile
A bum helped in from cold by a child who noticed
Volunteers signing up to help
The patience of visitors to our national treasures hot with child hanging on them in awe of it all
The Salvation Army taking a family lost for a moment and helping them along
A tall church steeple on a dirt road with little sign of anything else
A V8 engine with four barrel and no muffler filled with a bunch of kids looking cool going too fast
A worker staying late to tutor another
Stuckey’s surprise packages promised to the kids to keep them quiet till the next destination
A big MAC, KFC, Dunkin donuts, drive throughs
Cruising a Bob’s Big Boy
The open road riding shotgun enjoying the view
Barbecue and beer and softball
Sweating / freezing at the edge of your seat screaming 'defense'
Friday dances where you only stood and the girls danced
Revving the engine and racing off the line as the light changes
Corn fields upon corn fields upon corn fields
Commencements and jobs and getting up at five
April 15th

It seems to me that the uniquely American things are the small things that sometimes go unnoticed.

Another great list of things American. Thanks for the reminder.

The Grand Canyon IS truly exceptional, but what did Americans do to create it?

The Boy Scouts are exceptional also, but that organization was founded in Britain.

This more like "76 things I like", than proof of American exceptionalism.
The exceptionalism is found in that you would like the 76 things listed, in which other nations or persons may not like, and this is the difference in which brings about the exceptionalism found within our characters, as opposed to the dislikes by others in the world, whom may oppose what we like that had made this nation strong and free.

Circular argument and self-fulfilling statement.

...In fact?

Seventy Six of them.

I liked this piece. WE are indeed unique in the world...and what we have is worth preserving and defending.

Happy Independence Day folks...

ENJOY!

4th Of July Special: Here are the 76 Most American Things Ever

Because, for the most part, the rich and powerful make exceptions for themselves when it comes to the rules that the rest of us are expected to follow.

Make that "rich and powerful politicians" and I can fully agree.

Personally, I don't care whether the average American is "exceptional" or not. Can someone tell me why it's important that we're exceptional? And precisely hat did the average American do to be "exceptional"?

You could always migrate somewhere more to your liking. No one is stopping you.

You could always migrate somewhere more to your liking. No one is stopping you.

Blind patriotism is no patriotism at all.

Looking forward to responses..

You could always migrate somewhere more to your liking. No one is stopping you./QUOTE]

As can you. Hurry, the plane won't wait.

Looking forward to responses..

You could always migrate somewhere more to your liking. No one is stopping you./QUOTE]

As can you. Hurry, the plane won't wait.

I don't hate where I am, nor do I hate the people living here with me to the point that I feel the need to constantly, incessantly, and uncomprehendingly criticize both. Of course, if you enjoy feeling like something of a lesser being, that's quite fine with me, too. But really, you don't need to stay where you are so very unhappy.

Forum List

Back