Why Washington D.C. Compulsively Lies About Donald Trump

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Because he’s not like the rest of the political hacks inside the Beltway.

I think the world generally, and the world of the powerful in particular, is far less lucid and more incoherent than most assume. The main difference between Trump and his predecessors is that the professional class / deep state / neoliberal order / whatever-you-want-to-call-it is fluent in a language that imposes a kind of regulative fiction on that chaos. Their fluency gives them gives them a patina of legitimacy and not a little power over the less fluent, which comforts some normies but also drives conspiratorial thinking. Trump and a lot of the people around him lack this fluency and have no interest in cultivating it.

In other words, he doesn’t speak their lingo or play their games.

Trump is sui generis in many ways, but voters are probably right to suspect that anyone who threatened the existing order would meet Resistance, as anyone who watched the political press cheer Obama on when he spent months calling Mitt Romney a felon in 2012 can attest to. There will be an election soon, and voters can have their say about Trump directly.

More @ Why Washington D.C. Compulsively Lies About Donald Trump

He just says whatever comes to mind and 9 out of 10 times its an obvious, simple answer to problems the "intellectual elite" cant solve, problems they don't want to solve because they're afraid of upsetting the status quo they depend on for their livelyhood.

And then, of course, are his behaviors and temperament.

His followers have been conditioned to (somehow) believe that the only way to fix problems that they see is Trump's way - acting like a petulant, spoiled, ignorant teenager.

That simply isn't true. The way we act and the way we treat others plays a role in how they will respond to us, AND in how they perceive our honesty and competence.

This is just fundamental human nature. Empathy. But the man himself simply doesn't have any empathy, and by predictable extension, neither do his followers.

He's being painted as a victim here. The level of denial and myopia this requires is astonishing.

Last edited:
I imagine that, back in the era of the neanderthals, an individual could get another individual's attention (or perhaps even capitulation) by hitting them over the head with a large stick, or perhaps a tree branch or large rock.

Thankfully, we have evolved and progressed beyond that into a somewhat more sophisticated and intelligent way of communication and collaboration.

Well, most of us have.

His followers have been conditioned to (somehow) believe that the only way to fix problems that they see is Trump's way - acting like a petulant, spoiled, ignorant teenager.

That simply isn't true. The way we act and the way we treat others plays a role in how they will respond to us, AND in how they perceive our honesty and competence.

This is just fundamental human nature. Empathy. But the man himself simply doesn't have any empathy, and by extension, neither do his followers.

He's being painted as a victim here. The level of denial and myopia this requires is astonishing.

"I don't like his personality, that's why it's ok for the media to lie about him constantly."

This is just fundamental human nature. Empathy. But the man himself simply doesn't have any empathy, and by extension, neither do his followers.

"I don't like his personality, that's why it's ok for the media to lie about him constantly."
So you completely missed the part after "AND".

I bolded it, colored it red, and underlined it. So I meant to draw attention to it.

I guess that didn't work.

From the link:

The chaos of the Trump administration may yet prove intolerable, and there are lots of conservative or sympathetic voters who didn’t vote for Trump, out of concerns that he would be petulant, unstable, and immoral. But if it’s a choice between dealing with Trump’s foibles, which are challenging at best, and pretending the immorality and dishonesty of the system he threatens — a system that will almost certainly outlast him — is somehow a better option, don’t be surprised that so many people are sticking with Trump even through impeachment.

The bolded section sums it up nicely.

This is just fundamental human nature. Empathy. But the man himself simply doesn't have any empathy, and by predictable extension, neither do his followers.

When does the Mueller Report drop?

I bolded it, colored it red, and underlined it. So I meant to draw attention to it.

So you underlined the word and...so what? You're still making excuses for the national press lying about the president. This thing about him having "no empathy" is a common refrain from the media who are supposed to report facts. How the hell is anyone supposed to know what goes on in the deepest recesses of his emotional makeup?

When does the Mueller Report drop?
It already did. Why are you changing the subject?

So you underlined the word and...so what? You're still making excuses for the national press lying about the president. This thing about him having "no empathy" is a common refrain from the media who are supposed to report facts. How the hell is anyone supposed to know what goes on in the deepest recesses of his emotional makeup?
To begin with, the press already leans left and largely lost its shit when he won. You know this, I know this, Trump knows this.

And yet he persists and attacks them both personally and professionally, somehow thinking that they won't react. Including at rallies, where it's reasonable to see that those media might be concerned for their safety.

Most people, or at least those who have the slightest grasp of human nature, will consider that when they observe their behavior. Instead, Trump and his followers ignore it and pretend he's an innocent victim. I don't know if that's blatant dishonesty or abject ignorance.

He doesn't have to do this, even if you have been convinced that he has.

To begin with, the press already leans left and largely lost its shit when he won. You know this, I know this, Trump knows this.

And yet he persists and attacks them both personally and professionally, somehow thinking that they won't react. Including at rallies, where it's reasonable to see that those media might be concerned for their safety.

Most people, or at least those who have the slightest grasp of human nature, will consider that when they observe their behavior. Instead, Trump and his followers ignore it and pretend he's an innocent victim. I don't know if that's blatant dishonesty or abject ignorance.

The media doesn't just "lean left"; they foment discord and every sort of tribal animosity and then wring their hands asking why the country is so divided. It's Trump's job to expose these bastards to the light of day so that even the dumbest NFL obsessed american idiot finally realizes their country is right on the verge of destruction.

The media doesn't just "lean left"; they foment discord and every sort of tribal animosity and then wring their hands asking why the country is so divided. It's Trump's job to expose these bastards to the light of day so that even the dumbest NFL obsessed american idiot finally realizes their country is right on the verge of destruction.
Okay, if you think his way is the way to do it - and that's what I said earlier - then great.

But the complaining about how he is treated by others - by ANYONE else - is silly.

Okay, if you think his way is the way to do it - and that's what I said earlier - then great.

But the complaining about how he is treated by others - by ANYONE else - is silly.

You always seem to want to return to the days when conservatives in America just passively went along with the program like a demoralized husband concedes to his bitch wife's every whim with a dejected "yes dear"...just to avoid trouble.

You always seem to want to return to the days when conservatives in America just passively went along...
There is a massive difference, a wide canyon, between completely giving in, and acting like a spoiled, petulant child.

There really are other ways to approach this, but somehow Trump and his followers just don't (or won't) see that.

This kind of binary thinking -- either/or, all or nothing -- simply doesn't work well when dealing with intelligent adults in a complicated world.

Forum List

Back