Why was Ellis Island closed instead of renovated like the Statue of Liberty

Bassman007

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2015
Answer, because no more immigrants were needed. Everyone overlooks this fact. This was in 1954 and we would all be better off today with 40 million less Americans, in fact Obamacare might even be able to support itself

Ellis Island is still open....it has been renovated

You can visit BOTH The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

I would guess it has several reasons for not being an immigrant point of entry now. Few come by boat, it was also a health screening and hospital service, which is not needed now and its best use is now a historical site.

Last I checked Ellis Island wasn't big enough to hold a modern day international airport.......... :eusa_whistle:

last census was in 2010 and was about 310 million in the USA not counting the millions of third world illegal aliens. In 1970 when i was a very young adult the USA population was about 200 - 210 million . This census in 2020 , i expect US population to be at least 320 million not counting the illegal alien third worlders . I did not look this morning for easily found actual census numbers for this post , my numbers are approximate . OP is correct in his thinking though so Thankyou Bassman .

Last edited:
last census was in 2010 and was about 310 million in the USA not counting the millions of third illegal alien worlders . In 1970 when i was a very young adult the USA population was about 200 - 210 million . This census in 2020 , i expect US population to be at least 320 million not counting the illegal alien third worlders . I did not look this morning for easily found actual census numbers for this post , my numbers are approximate . OP is correct in his thinking though so Thankyou Bassman .
Soooooo, you actually believe a modern day jet liner, let alone an old passenger prop plane can (safely) land on Ellis Island? This I gotta see.......

Answer, because no more immigrants were needed. Everyone overlooks this fact. This was in 1954 and we would all be better off today with 40 million less Americans, in fact Obamacare might even be able to support itself
Any port of entry will do; we keep our Statue, for appearances.
----------------------------------------------------------the statue sucks and is a sham , see lefty 'emma lazurus' poem .

last census was in 2010 and was about 310 million in the USA not counting the millions of third illegal alien worlders . In 1970 when i was a very young adult the USA population was about 200 - 210 million . This census in 2020 , i expect US population to be at least 320 million not counting the illegal alien third worlders . I did not look this morning for easily found actual census numbers for this post , my numbers are approximate . OP is correct in his thinking though so Thankyou Bassman .
Soooooo, you actually believe a modern day jet liner, let alone an old passenger prop plane can (safely) land on Ellis Island? This I gotta see.......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just stated numbers , didn't say anything about planes landing Ringel .

I think that the original point is that no more imported peoples are needed and haven't been needed for a long long time ladies and gents !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just stated numbers , didn't say anything about planes landing Ringel .
You agreed with the OP's premise for why Ellis Island closed........ Or did you miss that part of his post.......? :dunno:

I think that the original point is that no more imported peoples are needed and haven't been needed for a long long time ladies and gents !!

Who is going to pick our crops, mow our lawns and own our gas stations?

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mighta been closed as to its original purpose , I don't know . Certainly has nothing to do with planes though . ----------------------------------------------------------- OP point though is that the USA WOULD be better off with 40 million less imported people . Actually , USA would be better off with a hundred millions less imported third worlders Ringell .

Forum List

Back