Why was Bush never referred to as "The Food Stamp Presiident"?

well, the economy tanked in Nov of 2007 (near the end of Bush's second term). wasn't food stamp participation up before that? i'm not sure, i'm asking.

I dont know and to be frank it means nothing. We have record numbers on food stamps and that is all that matters.

We have a president who is trying to convince the people that the economy is getting better.....when, in fact, we are down nearly 2 million jobs since he took office...but he refuses to look at that. He just wants us to know of the several million hired since he took office...not the twice as many that were laid off.

So things will not get any better for those on food stamps until our politicians stop playing on the naevity of the people.

Which sadly will likely not happen in our lifestime.

the sad truth is that until we voters elect politicians who address our massive debt, our country will be in trouble. and since there hasn't been a day in my lifetime (and i'm pretty old) when the debt has decreased......
You're (quite) obviously not all-that-old.....

handjob.gif

September 27, 2000

Another Record Budget Surplus

"....the president explained, the $5.7 trillion national debt has been reduced by $360 billion in the last three years -- $223 billion this year alone."

Since a record number of people got food stamps during his term

Let me step into my way back machine and travel back in time......
Whooooooops....I'm back.
Because he wasn't....

President Obama I believe has more people on food stamps now.
Someone decided to bring this to light.

That was then....this is now.
Democrats,Progressives,Liberals...need to live in the present.
Obama is President.
Bush is not....
You guys are going to have to deal with this at some point.

And what's the record number now, 3 years later? And why won't you hold those on food stamps accountable for having to be on food stamps and there own actions? When will the Liberals in this nation acknowledge that there are a multitude of options for education...even for the poorest of the poor? Whatever happened to the foundation that this nation was built upon allowing for the freedom to be whatever you choose to be, and the work ethic, determination and will to be whatever you choose be based on diligence, study and hard work to overcome any and all stone-wall fronts? Either you choose to be a nothing, or you choose to be an achiever. There is no political party that can change the thought process, one way or another, of a loser whom chooses to be one. So let's stop playing games here on this issue, and instead let's look at what liberalism has contributed to the consistent decline of the ghetto minority mentality. After all, it's been well over 40 years now, and there are no more excuses regarding Bush. Bush is gone, and Obama is now responsible for the continuing increase in food stamps, home foreclosures, banks not lending to the middle class, and a never ending, relentless unemployment rate.

MATSIS

Try taking the needle out of your arm before you post. This has shit to do with my question Capt Deflecto

Let me step into my way back machine and travel back in time......
Whooooooops....I'm back.
Because he wasn't....

President Obama I believe has more people on food stamps now.
Someone decided to bring this to light.

That was then....this is now.
Democrats,Progressives,Liberals...need to live in the present.
Obama is President.
Bush is not....
You guys are going to have to deal with this at some point.

Hmmm no answer....and no racial overtones at all...no sir re bob!

I hope the GOP doesnt expect to make any strides in the AA community. Crying about blacks on plantations (no racial overtones) wont help either. :thup:

Yep, the program grew much more under his regime. Other Newt lies (gawd, we'd better get used that!), most recipients are elderly, children and white.

Here's a reality for all the rabid rw's to consider ...

"... per capita ..."

Those of you who actually graduated from middle school may remember learning about how statistics are often skewed by not considering "... per capita ...".

Why is it this President is never held accountable..... for anything.
Not one thing is he responsible/accountable for?

Whenever anyone brings up a question asking what is the President doing about something.
Why hasn't President Obama fixed this?

The answer from the left is....

This was Bush's fault and they move on to the next question.

Whenever anyone brings up a question asking what is the President doing about something.

Politics is a funny business. Politicians will take credit for anything that goes well, even if they had little or nothing to do with it.

Likewise, politicians will blame the opposition for things that aren't the opposition's fault...even WHEN it's the fault of the people making the accusation.

And, of course, politicians will deny blame when they are at fault.

In the realm of politics, politicians (and their supporters) try to frame the arguments in such a way that they can hopefully convince a majority of the public to side with their version of events.

With THAT said, in the most recent polls I've seen, a majority of Americans still blame Bush and the Republicans for the financial collapse of 2008 and the recession that preceded it which began in 2007.

Deal with it!

Last edited:

Politics is a funny thing. Politicians will take credit for anything that goes well, even if they had little or nothing to do with it.

Likewise, politicians will blame the opposition for things that aren't the opposition's fault...even WHEN it's the fault of the people making the accusation.

In the realm of politics, politicians (and their supporters) try to frame the arguments in such a way that they can hopefully convince a majority of the public to side with their version of events.

With THAT said, in the most recent polls I've seen, a majority of Americans still blame Bush and the Republicans for the financial collapse of 2008 and the recession that preceded it which began in 2007.

Deal with it!

Bush is no longer President...

Deal with it....

Obama is now the food stamp President...

Deal with it....

I'm starting to get the hang of this....cool!

Politics is a funny thing. Politicians will take credit for anything that goes well, even if they had little or nothing to do with it.

Deal with it!

Bush is no longer President...

Deal with it....

Obama is now the food stamp President...

Deal with it....

I'm starting to get the hang of this....cool!

There's a problem with this model, of course.

When people engage in this kind of endeavor (incorrectly affixing credit and blame to people and political parties, despite real evidence to the contrary) eventually, those people (especially public supporters/detractors like talk radio hosts, and print commentators and authors, for example) lose whatever reputations for objectivity they once had. Then, they're thought of as little more than famous cheerleaders for one side.

Talk radio is full of cheerleaders.

Can you believe they are still whining about Obama being called the, food stamp President?

Pretty funny stuff. They called George Bush much much worse. Went right down the memory hole for these nutters. It's fun entertainment though. :)

oh we haven't seen nothing yet..it's going to get worse.
Yup. No doubt Newt will start referring to Obama as the Fried Chicken & Watermelon President before long.

See for yourself.....
food-stamp-participation1.png

FAIL

"more people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history." - Newt Gingrich

More were added to food stamps under Bush than under Obama, reports Brooks Jackson: "Newt Gingrich claims that 'more people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history.' He's wrong. More were added under Bush than under Obama, according to the most recent figures...Gingrich would have been correct to say the number now on food aid is historically high. The number stood at 46,224,722 persons as of October, the most recent month on record. And it's also true that the number has risen sharply since Obama took office. But Gingrich goes too far to say Obama has put more on the rolls than other presidents. We asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition service for month-by-month figures going back to January 2001. And they show that under President George W. Bush the number of recipients rose by nearly 14.7 million. Nothing before comes close to that."

It appears the media is lying. Fudging numbers or something.

The figures are blatant. And as Newsbusters clearly points out, the Bush year figures are nothing to be proud of but Obama has taken a lead position.

For Bush:

17 million in 2001 to 28 million in his last full year. 8 years 11 more million added.

For Obama:

As of last October 46 million. 18 million in an increase in world record time.

Gingrich would be right.

" Page asserts Gingrich misleads "on several counts," but then doesn't cite them. The food stamp program, now known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, is administered by the Department of Agriculture.

According to its figures, average food stamp participation during the Bush administration was 17 million in 2001 and increased to 28 million in his last full year as president. That's certainly nothing to brag about. But during Obama's three years in office, that number skyrocketed to 44 million by last year and was more than 46 million last October.

Read more: Clarence Page Tries to Make Bush 'Food Stamp President' But Numbers Don't Lie | NewsBusters.org

Last edited:

And how many records is that?

14.7 millions over eight years???

As opposed to Obama's 14.2 million over three years???

FACT CHECK: Gingrich's food-stamp claim | 11alive.com
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition service tracks month-to-month figures dating back to January 2001. The numbers show that the total of food stamp recipients rose to 14.2 million during President Obama's administration.

The highest in history so far is President George W. Bush. The number of food stamp recipients grew to nearly 14.7 million while he was in office. But, that's eight years in office, compared to President Obama who has not finished his first term.

Check the Math and Other Obscurities forum for assistance if needed.

Uh, so why again was Bush not referred to as the food stamp president before Obama? :eusa_whistle:

There was no Whiner in Chief to blame food stamps on Bush

Though, the Food Stamp President should more appropriately be described as Lyndon Johnson...
On Jan. 31, 1964, President Lyndon Johnson asked Congress to make the Food Stamp Program permanent. The result was the Food Stamp Act of 1964.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back