Why Trickle-Down just doesn't work, and the deficit is so huge...

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Seems that as soon as the rich get the money, they send it overseas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/21/offshore-wealth-global-economy-tax-havens

The world's super-rich have taken advantage of lax tax rules to siphon off at least $21 trillion, and possibly as much as $32tn, from their home countries and hide it abroad &#8211; a sum larger than the entire American economy.

James Henry, a former chief economist at consultancy McKinsey and an expert on tax havens, has conducted groundbreaking new research for the Tax Justice Network campaign group &#8211; sifting through data from the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and private sector analysts to construct an alarming picture that shows capital flooding out of countries across the world and disappearing into the cracks in the financial system...

..."This offshore economy is large enough to have a major impact on estimates of inequality of wealth and income; on estimates of national income and debt ratios; and &#8211; most importantly &#8211; to have very significant negative impacts on the domestic tax bases of 'source' countries," Henry says.

Last edited:

m.guardian.co.uk

The world's super-rich have taken advantage of lax tax rules to siphon off at least $21 trillion, and possibly as much as $32tn, from their home countries and hide it abroad – a sum larger than the entire American economy.

James Henry, a former chief economist at consultancy McKinsey and an expert on tax havens, has conducted groundbreaking new research for the Tax Justice Network campaign group – sifting through data from the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and private sector analysts to construct an alarming picture that shows capital flooding out of countries across the world and disappearing into the cracks in the financial system...

..."This offshore economy is large enough to have a major impact on estimates of inequality of wealth and income; on estimates of national income and debt ratios; and – most importantly – to have very significant negative impacts on the domestic tax bases of 'source' countries," Henry says.

There is no such thing as "trickle down economics"... it' a pejorative created by the libs back in the eighties to denigrate Reagan.

Nice try though.

• Banned
There is no such thing as "trickle down economics"... it' a pejorative created by the libs back in the eighties to denigrate Reagan.

Nice try though.

Just because you don't like the name, doesn't mean it's not accurate. And it certainly doesn't mean it "doesn't exist".

I don't like the term "libs", I think it's pejorative. That doesn't mean that Liberals don't exist.

Call it "Reaganomics", call it "supply-side economics", hell call it "Martian economics" for all I care, it doesn't work, and the article goes a long way to explaining why.

Spending is the reason we are in trouble.

Until the Clowns in DC figure that out we will continue to be in trouble.

Don't hold your breath.

• Banned
Oh, and also:

&#8220; "It's kind of hard to sell 'trickle down,' so the supply-side formula was the only way to get a tax policy that was really 'trickle down.' Supply-side is 'trickle-down' theory."

&#8212;David Stockman, Ronald Reagan's budget director

ok then, lets try trickle up....we'll start with all those that don't pay Federal income taxes..I bet we all get rich quick

• Banned

Don't hold your breath.

Spending is a good part of the reason for the deficit, that is true.

But apparently another part of the equation is tax evasion, on a very large scale.

Don't hold your breath.

But apparently another part of the equation is tax evasion, on a very large scale.

You could start with the Obama administration and your Congresscritters on tax evaders
let us know how that works out

• Banned
You could start with the Obama administration and your Congresscritters on tax evaders
let us know how that works out

We can agree there.

All of those politicians are evading taxes in this manner, and it's certainly not more common to one party than the other.

Unfortunately, the way they're doing it is probably not against the law. Mainly because they write the law.

That needs to change.

Don't hold your breath.

The $21 trillion figure in the article is an extrapolated one, and it is the total amount "hidden" by all the world's wealthy, not just the wealth of US citizens.

But it does go a little way toward confirming my past statements in other topics that the wealthy in the US have enough to pay off the national debt and run the government for a year or two.

Most people just seem to have no idea of how much wealth the wealthy really have, even though they spend a lot of time talking about how much the rich should be taxed.

I guess that's a good thing, because there seems to be an attitude that a rich person doesn't "need" that money, so it is okay to rob them in the name of "fairness".

Weird!

Now...casting aspersions on "trickle down" to justify that robbery aside...here is what I think is the crux of the buscuit in the article:

"If we could figure out how to tax all this offshore wealth without killing the proverbial golden goose, or at least entice its owners to reinvest it back home, this sector of the global underground is easily large enough to make a significant contribution to tax justice, investment and paying the costs of global problems like climate change," Henry says.

Our tax code, and all this talk about "fair share" and "tax the rich" and "you didn't build that", is an incentive to hide one's money. Liberals have completely distorted the meaning of "fair" over the years.

A truly fair system would bring that money home.

No deductions, no subsidies, no credits. Zip. Zilch.

Then we can lower the tax rate considerably. And everyone who pays their taxes will know the other guy in the same bracket is paying the SAME amount.

Wealth doesn't trickle down

The world's super-rich have taken advantage of lax tax rules to siphon off at least $21 trillion, and possibly as much as $32tn, from their home countries and hide it abroad – a sum larger than the entire American economy.

James Henry, a former chief economist at consultancy McKinsey and an expert on tax havens, has conducted groundbreaking new research for the Tax Justice Network campaign group – sifting through data from the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and private sector analysts to construct an alarming picture that shows capital flooding out of countries across the world and disappearing into the cracks in the financial system...

..."This offshore economy is large enough to have a major impact on estimates of inequality of wealth and income; on estimates of national income and debt ratios; and – most importantly – to have very significant negative impacts on the domestic tax bases of 'source' countries," Henry says.

It's clear that Obama's FLOOD THE BASEMENT ECONOMIC policy hasn't worked. 878 BILLION taxpayer borrowed and spent and promised to create jobs here ended up being OUTSOURCED to create jobs in China and Finland.
Obama's Stimulus Money Spent Overseas, Jobs in China - ABC News
Obama Administration Gave Half-Billion-Dollar Loan to Al Gore-Connected Electric Car Company Fisker to Build in Finland | TheBlaze.com

obamas-sinking-ship.jpg

"When you don't have a record to run on, you paint your opponent as someone people should run from"--Barack Obama

Wealth doesn't trickle down

So is this an argument for why punitive taxation doesn't work?
If so, I agree. :eusa_whistle:

Tax breaks are not theft. That is the most absurd thing ever. Keeping your own money, assuming you made it through legit realms, and calling it siphoning is hilarious.

but really, you might want to tie that up, your envy is showing there.

Oh... the OP, translated:

How DARE you rich people watch us do everything we can to raise your taxes and put your money somehwere that we can't get to it! How DARE YOU!!!!

Children, that someday, they may learn.

Tax breaks are not theft. That is the most absurd thing ever. Keeping your own money, assuming you made it through legit realms, and calling it siphoning is hilarious.

If I am a lollipop manufacturer and you are a chewing gum manufacturer, and I get to deduct my sugar expenses from my taxes and you don't, for no other reason than my lobbyist can beat up your lobbyist, that is not a fair system in anyone's book.

But that is the system we have today. And the biggest boondoggle of them all is the mortgage interest rate deduction.

We need to eliminate all deductions, subsidies, and credits from the tax code.

Broaden the base, lower the rate.

Then the money will come home.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, I must be missing something, please show me where I said it was "theft".

The point of this thread was to show that trickle-down economics doesn't work, because the rich take their savings and put it in hidden overseas accounts instead of re-investing it.

Which invalidates the entire point of capital gains tax breaks and higher bracket tax breaks as economic stimuli.

Forum List

Back