Why, Those Sneaky Little Devils....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
"Great news: Congress discovers exciting new ways to earmark"
Great news: Congress discovers exciting new ways to earmark Hot Air

"Though Mr. Kirk and other Republicans thundered against pork-barrel spending and lawmakers’ practice of designating money for special projects through earmarks, they have not shied from using a less-well-known process called lettermarking to try to direct money to projects in their home districts.

Mr. Kirk, for example, sent a letter to the Department of Education dated Sept. 10, 2009, asking it to release money “needed to support students and educational programs” in a local school district.

Lettermarking, which takes place outside the Congressional appropriations process, is one of the many ways that legislators who support a ban on earmarks try to direct money back home.

In phonemarking, a lawmaker calls an agency to request financing for a project. More indirectly, members of Congress make use of what are known as soft earmarks, which involve making suggestions about where money should be directed, instead of explicitly instructing agencies to finance a project. Members also push for increases in financing of certain accounts in a federal agency’s budget and then forcefully request that the agency spend the money on the members’ pet project.

Because all these methods sidestep the regular legislative process, the number of times they are used and the money involved are even harder to track than with regular earmarks.

But a New York Times review of letters and e-mail to government agencies from members of Congress shows that the practice is widespread despite the fact that both President George W. Bush and President Obama have issued executive orders instructing agencies not to finance projects based on communications from Congress."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/us/politics/28earmarks.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

You don't know whether Mark Kirk is a RINO or not?

How can you come here and discuss intelligently?

Anytime a member of the GOP gets caught doing something "the base" considers less than conservative enough, they are immediately thrown under the bus and labeled a RINO. It is hard for us to keep up with which members of the GOP are "conservative enough" for the base.

Great post, PChic. (no sarcasm)

We knew they were going to get sneaky...the question was when and how.

PLEASE tell me you are not surprised by this....

Ahah! So you were a part of that anti-hope crowd that candidate Obama took such a valiant stand against!!

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
Oscar Wilde

So there.

Ahah! So you were a part of that anti-hope crowd that candidate Obama took such a valiant stand against!!

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
Oscar Wilde

So there.

What do you mean by this? I simply knew better that to trust that the GOP had suddenly and miraculously found their conservative roots again. Let's be honest. The GOP spent like drunken Democrats under the Bush administration.

Great post, PChic. (no sarcasm)

We knew they were going to get sneaky...the question was when and how.

Thank you centrist-Vanquish...
those of us who subscribed to the viewpoint of the Tea Party had just the itsy-bitsyist hope that we could prevail....

but pols are difficult to teach.

Oscar Wilde

So there.

What do you mean by this? I simply knew better that to trust that the GOP had suddenly and miraculously found their conservative roots again. Let's be honest. The GOP spent like drunken Democrats under the Bush administration.

I never viewed President Bush as a conservative, I merely hoped that the pols had learned a lesson from the recent elections...much as President Obama did.

P.J.O'Rourke said it best: 'It wasn't an election, it was a restraining order.'

One that Kirk ignored.

Oscar Wilde

So there.

I never viewed President Bush as a conservative, I merely hoped that the pols had learned a lesson from the recent elections...much as President Obama did.

P.J.O'Rourke said it best: 'It wasn't an election, it was a restraining order.'

One that Kirk ignored.

.........and one that Tea Party darling Rand Paul has already signaled he plans to ignore as well. Whatever will the "movement" do then?

If you take into account that - from the voters' perspective - one of the primary functions of their representatives is to go to Washington to get their money back,

then earmarks make perfect sense and reflect perfectly an important function of representative government.

If you take into account that - from the voters' perspective - one of the primary functions of their representatives is to go to Washington to get their money back,

then earmarks make perfect sense and reflect perfectly an important function of representative government.

Hmmmmm.....so why is the Tea Party against this process, again?

The goal here is to stop this. So the more publicity it gets this time, the less likely it will happen in the future, and we might see less of it.

well, one can hope anyway.

Forum List

Back