Why the US is one of the least democratic countries in the world

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Munin, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Today I followed the regional & european elections in Flanders (Belgium, Europe), where about 6 parties participated in the elections. The advantage of this is that the voter gets to pick what he likes and unlike the voter in a country with a 2 party system he will most likely vote on what he likes (and not on what he dislikes): Because this voter has the choice to vote on another ideology (closer to his own views).

Let s take the recent US elections, I bet there were a lot of voters (both republicans and independents) that just didn't want to vote for MCCAIN but because of lack of a better alternative they chose not to vote or to vote for the democrats. One problem in the US is the scale on which elections are held, they require a powerfull (financially and politically) party to get nation-wide attention (media coverage).

This reminds me of an episode of the simpsons where the two presidential candidates (DEM and REP) were 2 aliens who abducted the real candidates, in the end the voter has to pick the lesser of two evils.

Often we hear US presidents talk about how undemocratic other countries are, but they tend to forget that the US elections are not as democratic as they are in for example some European countries. I mean, is a choice between 2 parties really a choice? If You don't like 1 of them you re forced to vote for the other party or you would be throwing away your vote. In short: you will probably be rejected by the views of one of the 2 parties and will be forced to vote for the other party (or just not vote). In this case you don't really vote for that party, you re actually voting against the other parties nomination.

When we look at how things now are, we could almost say that we are evolving to a 1 party system (because the republicans have managed to put themselves in a position where they are rejected by most moderate people).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Is it?

I didn't know that we were on a par with nations like Myramar.

3. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Not really. The same could have been said of the British Conservative party in 1997. It's taken a decade, but the British public now appears ready to throw Labour (which was unassailable 10 years ago) under the nearest bus.

It's only a matter of time. 8 years from now at most, the GOP will be back in power (once they have got their shit back together and the Democrats have screwed up enough).

4. wvulax

wvulax Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I always thought of democracy as a process. There are no rules in our government that force a two party system. Just because the public is too naive/ignorant/stupid/apathetic doesn't mean we're less democratic.

5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,159
    Eventually you gotta pick one, right? So when the Democrats were all running against each other, we, or at least I, had a lot of picks to choose from. Hillary, Edwards, Obama, Kucenich, Biden & Richardson.

And I had green and libertarian candidates to pick from. I just didn't like any of them. Where was Jesse the Mind Ventura?

And I had at least 10 assholes to pick from out of the GOP.

Lots of choices. You're just sore cause your guy/gal lost. :lol:

6. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,159
    No matter what we do, in 2012, its gonna be the Dem vs the GOP and if you want a spoiler to come in and swing the election, by all means it is your right.

But who? Nader? :lol: Bob Barr? :lol: The Green Party? :lol:

Perot cost Bush 1 the election and Nader cost Gore/Kerry their elections. Happy?

I bet you are not an Obama supporter? Because he is the Messiah and you aren't happy about the "choices" we get? What a hoot! Its like you are at an Elvis concert and you are saying, "yea, but he's no liberace". Fag. :lol:

7. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    I agree with the basic premise of what you are saying, but would add "western" to world. IOW, in the western world, it's form of democracy (and you, you right-wing moonbats, I know you're a republic - I'm giving democracy the wider meaning here) is one of the weakest. However, it's still better than 150 other countries by a long shot...

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    There is no human event more democratic than a lynch mob.

9. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,159
    Can you tell me the last time a conservative group protested something and a bunch of liberal cops sicked their dogs on the crowd? :lol:

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Except the SOUTH was run by Democrats when that happened and in 68 the Cops were protecting the Democratic convention. GO figure.

Can you tell us the last time conservatives sicked dogs on ANYONE?