Why the term African American?

Captain_Canuck1.jpg

The problem is when it can be Hispanic, Asian, African American, et al pride and it's being proud of one's heritage. But if it's white pride or Jewish pride, it's racism.

White Pride has been claimed by groups that are racist and spread hate and fear. Skinheads, KKK, and other terrorist groups want to kill and/or otherwise get rid of any non-white people. You have another poster gearing up for a race war. He's ready...bring it on! This is what a lot of non-white people associate with white pride. Celtic pride or any other ethnic pride is not as offensive. Most Black people living in the US really don't know where they originated from. I've tried and I've only gotten as far back as the civil war. So, what is the confusion really about? Do you want to call black people whatever you want? Do so. No one is stopping you.

Nope. I'm above having my arguments deflected with a personal attack simply because my point cannot be argued.

The statement is racist. That's a fact. No laughing, whining, crying, snorting, nor any other emotion required to relay a statement of fact.

The poem is not racist, but it addresses racism.

Why do you consider the poem racist? Because it mentions racial skins tones and racial groups; black, brown, red, yellow and white? Do you expect that people of color--minorities are not going to reflect on how far the civil rights movement has come? The poem was uttered as a prayer on the historic occassion of the US electing our first bi-racial POTUS on the day after Martin Luther King's birthday?

Why weren't all races equally offended if the statement was inherently racist? Should Oprah, as one of the most successful black women in America be offended by the wish that black not be held back? Being black hasn't held her back? Should Latinos be offended by brown being able to stick around? They are the fastest growing racial minority in America today. Should Native Americans be offended that Red get ahead? With the cultural genocide that happened to First Nation natives, perhaps the poem should have said that red not be dead. What about the Asians? Should they be offended that they be mellow yellow?

Gunny--you're overreacting if you think this poem is racist. It is a poem that acknowledges the truth--that America HAS BEEN racist and it prays that we all be equally blessed.

If it was inherently a racist poem then ALL WHITE PEOPLE would be offended by it. Not all whites were offended. But some whiney whites are making a big deal out of it--and no other racial group is whining and demanding a PC response about this poem but whites who most likely didn't vote for Obama in the first place.

Theses folks either wish him dead or hope his presidency fails. I'm thinking World Nut Daily and Rush Limbaugh. Cons love to have it both ways. Whine about expecting the Reverend to be PC when their blessed whiteness is challenged by a poem and otherwise pretend to be color blind and otherwise object to multi-cultural sensitivity training.

It's ridiculous.

We still have some cultural attitude training to do in our country. I'm so happy this Reverend brought it to our attention by his bold move of reading this poem in his prayer.

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around . . .
. . . when yellow will be mellow . . .

. . . when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen.
Reverend Lowry

"When white will embrace what is right".........Perhaps what's right for whites is to not be so overly sensitive to satire. Reverend Lowry spoke equally jokingly in his remarks to other races. I wasn't offended, why were you?

I don't have white guilt. Perhaps those who are so offended have white guilt. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen.

Why aren't gays outraged at being left out? Why didn't Lowry say 'when gay is ok'?

This is the song that poem/prayer was based on:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZLw5ahxm-Q[/ame]

Last edited:
The poem is not racist, but it addresses racism.

Why do you consider the poem racist? Because it mentions racial skins tones and racial groups; black, brown, red, yellow and white? Do you expect that people of color--minorities are not going to reflect on how far the civil rights movement has come? The poem was uttered as a prayer on the historic occassion of the US electing our first bi-racial POTUS on the day after Martin Luther King's birthday?

Why weren't all races equally offended if the statement was inherently racist? Should Oprah, as one of the most successful black women in America be offended by the wish that black not be held back? Being black hasn't held her back? Should Latinos be offended by brown being able to stick around? They are the fastest growing racial minority in America today. Should Native Americans be offended that Red get ahead? With the cultural genocide that happened to First Nation natives, perhaps the poem should have said that red not be dead. What about the Asians? Should they be offended that they be mellow yellow?

Gunny--you're overreacting if you think this poem is racist. It is a poem that acknowledges the truth--that America HAS BEEN racist and it prays that we all be equally blessed.

If it was inherently a racist poem then ALL WHITE PEOPLE would be offended by it. Not all whites were offended. But some whiney whites are making a big deal out of it--and no other racial group is whining and demanding a PC response about this poem but whites who most likely didn't vote for Obama in the first place.

Theses folks either wish him dead or hope his presidency fails. I'm thinking World Nut Daily and Rush Limbaugh. Cons love to have it both ways. Whine about expecting the Reverend to be PC when their blessed whiteness is challenged by a poem and otherwise pretend to be color blind and otherwise object to multi-cultural sensitivity training.

It's ridiculous.

We still have some cultural attitude training to do in our country. I'm so happy this Reverend brought it to our attention by his bold move of reading this poem in his prayer.

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around . . .
. . . when yellow will be mellow . . .

. . . when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen.
Reverend Lowry

"When white will embrace what is right".........Perhaps what's right for whites is to not be so overly sensitive to satire. Reverend Lowry spoke equally jokingly in his remarks to other races. I wasn't offended, why were you?

I don't have white guilt. Perhaps those who are so offended have white guilt. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen.

Why aren't gays outraged at being left out? Why didn't Lowry say 'when gay is ok'?

This is the song that poem/prayer was based on:
YouTube - Big Bill Broonzy - "Black, Brown and White"

Wow. What a twisted argument. Why should ALL races be offended when only one race is offended?

Perhaps those who are offended are just sick of listening to the crap? Or is that too simple a reasoning for you? Another attempted twist. Whites NOW have nothing to feel guilty for so why should they? Well, except that they are brainwashed to believe they should.

Gays are an irrelevant deflection.

Race should not have been mentioned AT ALL. Obama isn't the first bi-racial President of the US. He isn't the first African American President of the US. He is the President of the US. If he can't represent ALL US citizens, regardless race, color or creed ... then he needs to step the fuck down and let someone qualified to handle the job do it.

Color shouldn't matter, but it does. For people like you to deny the obvious is just plain willful blindness because it doesn't suit what you want to hear and nothing more.

Wow. What a twisted argument. Why should ALL races be offended when only one race is offended?

Perhaps those who are offended are just sick of listening to the crap? Or is that too simple a reasoning for you? Another attempted twist. Whites NOW have nothing to feel guilty for so why should they? Well, except that they are brainwashed to believe they should.

Gays are an irrelevant deflection.

Race should not have been mentioned AT ALL. Obama isn't the first bi-racial President of the US. He isn't the first African American President of the US. He is the President of the US. If he can't represent ALL US citizens, regardless race, color or creed ... then he needs to step the fuck down and let someone qualified to handle the job do it.

Color shouldn't matter, but it does. For people like you to deny the obvious is just plain willful blindness because it doesn't suit what you want to hear and nothing more.

Damn you're grouchy, white boy. I didn't find the poem racially offensive. So what? What's it to you? I'm not color blind. I like it that America is a melting pot. I don't have white guilt and I don't care if you're offended. That's your choice. If you want to whine about feeling oppressed as a white boy knock yourself out. Did you vote for this President? Probably not. You probably voted for McCain and you're looking for any excuse to complain.

People like me? You mean fellow citizens, don't you? The POTUS Barack Obama represents all the American people--including those who have historically been at the bottom of the opportunity heap.

Stick to listening to Rush Limbaugh and praying the Obama Presidency will fail.

What do you want? You're own personally autographed copy of a President Obama apology to whiney offended white people who can't appreciate poetry that mentions race?
I bet even if Obama personally apologized for offending your sensibilities as a WHITE American you still wouldn't support his Presidency.

Get over it. The Obama administration will govern all Americans, not just the good 'ol boys.

"To be honest, this was the first Inauguration Day most first time attendees, black-white-brown-red-yellow, people that have been rarely included, ever wanted to attend. Washington’s “power elite,” namely corporate America and its lobbyists, has to find another way to play - at least for one day as the American people reclaimed its country and common man (woman) played centered stage."

That was the power of Barack Hussein Obama taking the oath of office. It was a great day for America, and an even greater day for the people whose legacy is tied to those who once labored in this nation as slaves. They certainly celebrated this day as they gave more than any of us could ever suggest, their blood, sweat, tears, their lives and their deaths—and their freedom.

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur50303.cfm

Last edited:
The term went from 'colored' to 'black' to African American. I would think African American confers more respect and citizen status than black or 'colored'.

I don't see any problem with using the term African American when it's used to indicate a group of people that share common, pre-citizenship ancestral roots.

Black is a racial term, African American is an ethnic term. Just like we say we're Irish or German--when we mean our grandparents or great grandparents were born in Ireland or Germany.

What you call a group of people when you label them something has political implications. Whatever term the group chooses for itself, is the most respectful term.

Black or African American seem to be currently equally respectful but individuals may prefer one over the other.

African American is a racial term in the vernacular. If a white guy who was born in Africa became a US citizen, he would technically be an African American no?

Could that white guy check the African American box on a college, job or mortgage application? he would absolutely be within his rights to do so but you and I both know it wouldn't be allowed.

Do you spend any time wondering why blacks are often referred to as African Americans?

IMO people do not want to immigrate to America to become Americans anymore. They want to be Spanish, African or whatever people in America.

This is truly amazing. Black people demand apologies from white people who offend them! :lol:

[YOUTUBE]oc1zGRUPztc[/YOUTUBE]

This is truly amazing. Black people demand apologies from white people who offend them! :lol:

[YOUTUBE]oc1zGRUPztc[/YOUTUBE]
Truly amazing.

People who think they're owed apologies for being offended! We all know as forum members that offending others and being unwilling to apologize is an equal opportunity experience.

Right Willow?:lol:

What's truly amazing to me is that people continue to watch TV programs where everyone is talking at once.

Last edited:
What do mean not just the good ol boys---especially not the good 'ol boys.

No one really wants white males to lose the rights they have. They just want to give others the same rights afforded to white males. Did anyone take anything from you? Are you being oppressed? Are you really scared that black people are gonna shackle you and put you in a tobacco field? I am gonna assume that the answers are all no but I can be an ass sometimes.

No one really wants white males to lose the rights they have. They just want to give others the same rights afforded to white males. Did anyone take anything from you? Are you being oppressed? Are you really scared that black people are gonna shackle you and put you in a tobacco field? I am gonna assume that the answers are all no but I can be an ass sometimes.

look---when striving to push minorities up the rungs of society do you really think it's a great idea to tell white men that they're going be last in line for awhile ? Is it really constitutional to just temporarily discriminate for awhile against those that had nothing to do with the problems minorities face today.

LOL You've come to the right place. You're in good company.

look---when striving to push minorities up the rungs of society do you really think it's a great idea to tell white men that they're going be last in line for awhile ? Is it really constitutional to just temporarily discriminate for awhile against those that had nothing to do with the problems minorities face today.

No, I don't think that is a good idea. I don't think that it's anyone's idea. If a white man is more qualified for a job than any other race applying for said job, he should get the job. If the white man is just as qualified for the job and a man of another race, then there should be some other determining factor as to who gets the job. No, not race. But if a non-white man is slightly more qualified than the white man, the non-white man should get the job. That's what is fair.

If you think you're being discriminated against, file a law suit.

Do white males pay taxes? Taxes that will pay for the stimulus package? If they do and are prohibited from getting a job under the stimulus program then yes, they are discrminated against. You cannot spin it any other way.

Forum List

Back