Why The Steelers mean so much to Pittsburgh

Because you have the Pirates?
and then there are the Pirates........

I'm old enough to have seen games at Forbes field. that's right. Before Three Rivers, before PNC Park there was a giant of a stadium in oakland where Clemente and Mazaroski played. I was a Pirates fan all through my youth.

Right up to the strike year and even then, I felt unrequited love for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

But 18 consecutive loosing seasons is enough. Eighteen years of sub .500 ball is more than any fan should bear.

I hate writing about the Pirates. I hate even having to think about them. and it's not the hate the poor bastards in Baltimore feel about the Steelers. It's the hate of a love gone horribly wrong. and it's not my fault.

This must be how spouses of alcoholics must feel. The jilted lover of a popular girl gone off to Vegas only to become a crack whore. Survivors of plane crashes. It's a terrible thing to be a fan and watch the team slip beneath the waves for the third time.

Because you have the Pirates?
and then there are the Pirates........

I'm old enough to have seen games at Forbes field. that's right. Before Three Rivers, before PNC Park there was a giant of a stadium in oakland where Clemente and Mazaroski played. I was a Pirates fan all through my youth.

Right up to the strike year and even then, I felt unrequited love for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

But 18 consecutive loosing seasons is enough. Eighteen years of sub .500 ball is more than any fan should bear.

I hate writing about the Pirates. I hate even having to think about them. and it's not the hate the poor bastards in Baltimore feel about the Steelers. It's the hate of a love gone horribly wrong. and it's not my fault.

This must be how spouses of alcoholics must feel. The jilted lover of a popular girl gone off to Vegas only to become a crack whore. Survivors of plane crashes. It's a terrible thing to be a fan and watch the team slip beneath the waves for the third time.

If any Cubs fans read this, they're just going to laugh at your fair-weather whining. :lol:

Consider Green Bay's smaller size, lack of other professional teams, and extremely long record of selling out Lambeau, I'd say it seems as though the Packers may mean more to GB. :eusa_shhh:

Then again, I got enough hearing about how much an NFL team means to it's home city last year with the Saints; I could not hear about that for any team ever again and be perfectly content. :lol:

20070916pd2testfans_500.jpg

heinz_fans_40519.jpg

sb24.jpg

8313.jpg

09_Fan_Photo_troops_103422.JPG

The entire community goes ape-shit nuts for football and particularly for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I've had I don't know how many out-of-town visitors come here for the first time and stand like an Amish guy in a Best Buy; jaws dropped in amazement at the breadth and depth of the Steeler fan loyalty. Folks paint their houses black and gold. Folks get married in Steeler themed weddings, baby's first outfit is a Steelers jersey, tombstones are adorned with the Steelers logo.

The tradition, the pride, the joy this team brings to this region are unparalleled in this nation. No other fan base can call themselves "Nation" like the Steeler Nation.

After the disaster of NAFTA and the closing of America's most strategic resource (steel production), the Pittsburgh diaspora began.
Hey.....you wanna talk about anything (else), knock-yourself-out....but, to surmise, about the end o' the steel-industry, only exposes your total-fuckin'-ignorance about what happened!!!

NAFTA???!!!! Give me a fuckin' BREAK!!! That was 1994!!!!!

The steel-industry started goin' tits-UP, back in the goddamned '70s!!!!

I worked at Bethlehem Steel for 5 years; 1970-75. No matter how hard management pushed, for increased-production, we had to rely on equipment that'd been there (since) before the fuckin' SECOND WORLD WAR!!!!! Management kept havin' theses fuckin' Rah-Rah meetings....talkin'-about how we made the greatest fuckin' steel, in the world....that NO ONE could compete with us....and, we're wondering how the fuck THAT was supposed to make the equipment run any faster!!!! It was all BULLSHIT....and WE knew that, as-well-as THEY did!!!!

Rather than reinvesting in state-o'-the-art equipment ('cause they had to know competition was comin'-to-town), stockholders were too-goddamned busy pullin' profits!!! THEN, when Japan came-along, WITH state-o'-the-art mills.....it was too-goddamned-LATE to retool!!! It was fuckin' GAME OVER, for U.S. steel!!!!!

The U.S. steel-industry cut their OWN GODDAMED-THROAT!!!!!

Save your fuckin' NAFTA fairy-tales. You have no fuckin' idea what happened, back then......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9Obe7DLW0&feature=related[/ame]​

This is where jealousy sets in... I was born and raised an Eagles fan, love the team but hate most other Eagles fans. I'll admit they can be the nastiest when hosting a game.
There's a lot-o'-that goin' around.

I've been in "Steelers-bars" in Texas, Indiana, New York & PA.....and, some Steelers fans can be real-assholes, after a "few"; mostly about what Pittsburgh did, during a game. I've seen as many fights started over a game, as there was around pool-tables! Here, in Northern Central PA, a lot o' bars got rid of pool-tables, because of fights....and, Hell....they even provided the weapons!!! LOL!!!

As-far-as nastiest goes....I've always considered Cleveland the award-winners:​

no offense NM but you have not told us WHY, The Steelers mean so much to Pittsburgh..:eusa_eh:
Here's where that reading stuff finally pays off. From the OP:
The tradition, the pride, the joy this team brings to this region are unparalleled in this nation. No other fan base can call themselves "Nation" like the Steeler Nation.

After the disaster of NAFTA and the closing of America's most strategic resource (steel production), the Pittsburgh diaspora began. Pittsburghers raised on Franco's Italian Army and the Steel Curtain defense went seeking fortune all around the country. But they never abandoned their Pittsburgh roots and Steeler heritage. Now they live all over flying Black and Gold flags outside their homes and twirling Terrible Towels on Sunday afternoons.

There are Pittsburghers everywhere. The Steelers are the catylist. If there is a Steeler fan around you now (and there probably is) ask him/her why the Steelers mean so much. They will most likely tell you because the Steelers mean 'home'.
So....it was a CUT 'N PASTE, YOU DID??!!!

Yeah.....it didn't sound like you (actually) had a personal point-o'-reference.
<I guess you forgot the quote-marks.>

Lemme guess.....The Murdoch Street Journal??????

Wankin.gif

heinz_fans_40519.jpg

sb24.jpg

8313.jpg

The entire community goes ape-shit nuts for football and particularly for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I've had I don't know how many out-of-town visitors come here for the first time and stand like an Amish guy in a Best Buy; jaws dropped in amazement at the breadth and depth of the Steeler fan loyalty. Folks paint their houses black and gold. Folks get married in Steeler themed weddings, baby's first outfit is a Steelers jersey, tombstones are adorned with the Steelers logo.

After the disaster of NAFTA and the closing of America's most strategic resource (steel production), the Pittsburgh diaspora began.
Hey.....you wanna talk about anything (else), knock-yourself-out....but, to surmise, about the end o' the steel-industry, only exposes your total-fuckin'-ignorance about what happened!!!

I worked at Bethlehem Steel for 5 years; 1970-75. No matter how hard management pushed, for increased-production, we had to rely on equipment that'd been there (since) before the fuckin' SECOND WORLD WAR!!!!! Management kept havin' theses fuckin' Rah-Rah meetings....talkin'-about how we made the greatest fuckin' steel, in the world....that NO ONE could compete with us....and, we're wondering how the fuck THAT was supposed to make the equipment run any faster!!!! It was all BULLSHIT....and WE knew that, as-well-as THEY did!!!!

Rather than reinvesting in state-o'-the-art equipment ('cause they had to know competition was comin'-to-town), stockholders were too-goddamned busy pullin' profits!!! THEN, when Japan came-along, WITH state-o'-the-art mills.....it was too-goddamned-LATE to retool!!! It was fuckin' GAME OVER, for U.S. steel!!!!!

Save your fuckin' NAFTA fairy-tales. You have no fuckin' idea what happened, back then......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9Obe7DLW0&feature=related[/ame]​
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzi1wBmgoeA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzi1wBmgoeA[/ame]

I'm happy any time a team that isn't the Atlanta fucking Falcons or the Dallas fucking Cowboys wins anything in the NFL.

But I'm sick and tired of the Steelers and the Packers.

The Packers D will prove too much for the Steelers.....
853.gif

You have any idea how many times we've heard that, before?

Count 'em.......

<Hint: You'll need two hands.>

3779556054_6958e82e65.jpg

Pittsburgh%20ring.jpg

853.gif

heinz_fans_40519.jpg

sb24.jpg

8313.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzi1wBmgoeA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzi1wBmgoeA[/ame]​

That was my point....the shut-down started in the mid-'70s....Hell, WE saw things goin'-South.....so, by the time the screeching-halt happened....I'd already relocated to Colorado, and into the early-days of the disk-drive industry.

NAFTA had ZIP, to do, with the collapse o' big-steel.​

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back