Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
From Kristen Powers....a left leaning centrist who worked for Clinton.

Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan - The Daily Beast

GOP Congressman Paul Ryan—the tireless, wonky, 42-year-old workout freak—has made history by becoming the first member of our generation to join a presidential ticket. It should come as a surprise to no one that his calling card is reforming entitlements.

We hear incessantly about how members of today’s screwed generation face the prospect of less prosperous lives than those lived by their parents. But the maiden generation to stare down that gloomy prognosis was Generation X, the tiny slice of America born between about 1965 and 1980. (Ryan was born in 1970.) We were the first generation to be told we would never get Social Security or Medicare even though we would be forced to pay into these programs.

When many X-ers graduated from college, stocking shelves at the Gap was considered a career choice, as jobs were few and far between amidst a major economic downturn. I won’t bore you with the horror show of the low-paying and miserable jobs I had for the first three years after college.

Unfortunately, the future looks as bleak for today’s young people. No amount of coddling by their well-provided-for Boomer parents can save Generation Y and the Millennials from the dire economic conditions they face, including criminal levels of educational debt. Pensions have gone the way of the horse and buggy. You want to retire with health-care benefits, as both my professor parents did? Good luck. As the 1994 movie turned Gen-X mantra has it: Reality Bites.

I would highly suggest the entire article.

The left is always whining about people voting their interests and I have wondered for a long time when the young were going to wake up and tell the previous generation "we are not going to pay for your wanting to have your cake and eat it too".

Well, maybe it is about to happen.

When FDR first proposed Social Security, one if its advocates was confronted with a long term prognosis of major difficulties (several decades down the road). The response was "We'll be dead by then". Both predictions came true.

Time to right the ship.

Paul Ryan is the man. Better give granny a parachute.

Cuz they are whiney crybaby bitch ass punks?

The "screwed generation" is soft. They are pussies....and gay.

True story.

I won't argue against this point because there is some evidence it is true.

However, you really have to wonder how they got that way. Who raised them ?

Their single moms ? Or the two income parents who just had to have all the goodies so they could spoil junior.

One way or the other, there is no doubt in my mind that Paul Ryan won't toss granny over the cliff. The younger generation will. Hope you got your 'chute.

True story.

Why do you always throw the homosexuality thing out there? I don't get that.

The housing correction is an example of how the younger generation will need to see some swings in the economy to match up with their income levels.

Soon there will be a glut of houses and the boomers start moving to retirement homes. Prices will drop and the younger generation will be able to better afford one. The correction in AZ was dramatic. Lots of young families are now enjoying home ownership, not previously available to them.

Now, the young will look at these sky rocketing entitelements (which they will see as the family vacation they can't take) and ask just what the hell kind of flim flam did their parents stick them with.

True story.

Why do you always throw the homosexuality thing out there? I don't get that.

It was an afterthought...meant to make Warrior102 and HouseGimp feel included in the conversation.

I'm thoughtfull like that.

:lol:

The "youth" vote that obama relied upon so heavily is abandoning him. He has to find something to say.

The 'screwed generation' vote is the key to Romney victory.

Paul Ryan was an enormous shot in the arm.

Now we need a highly targeted message and about a half billion of advertising - all which is on the way.

It is going to be a real cultural conflict.

I don't think today's generation is as motivated as they should be (maybe hungry is the word).

And that is O.K.

Except they are the ones who will shoulder the burdens of S.S. and Medicare here pretty soon.

Go ahead and squeeze the rich and they will find a way to turn the young against you.

Keep voting for greedy lying Pubs and your fears will be realized...AARP named Medicare going bust as the #1 myth. Pubs LOVE scaring people, especially when a Dem is in the WH.

I know, let's cut taxes on the bloated rich, destroy Medicare, Medicaid, SS, and health reform, raise taxes and fees on the nonrich, let corporate cheats run wild, cut aid to states and localities, raise military spending to more than the rest of the world combined, and worry about the debt in 2035.Absolute idiocy, dupes.

They may be young, but not stupid.

They are living the abject failure that is Liberalism.

You know, there are some real waste of time angry dupes on here, but you are more highly brainwashed and FOPubcrappe than anyone. Our problem is not liberalism- just watch the epiphany for dupes when O-care actually starts- we're living in a Pub meltdown/great recession/obstructionfest, and it's voodoo that's ruined our nonrich, infrastructure, American Dream for 95% of the people. Read my sig PP1 and memorize it. Instead of swallowing all the Pubcrappe LIES of PP3.

Last edited:

True story.

Harsh words for children...............Final answer?

They may be young, but not stupid.

They are living the abject failure that is Liberalism.

You know, there are some real waste of time angry dupes on here, but you are more highly brainwashed and FOPubcrappe than anyone. Our problem is not liberalism- just watch the epiphany for dupes when O-care actually starts- we're living in a Pub meltdown/great recession/obstructionfest, and it's voodoo that's ruined our nonrich, infrastructure, American Dream for 95% of the people. Read my sig PP1 and memorize it. Instead of swallowing all the Pubcrappe LIES of PP3.

Sorry Francblo,

You are nothing but a liar. Your party has been more a contributor to the fall of American than anything and kids are finally waking up to the fact that some hard decisions need to be made.

If you were a high school teacher...you failed.

Forum List

Back