Why the rich owe their fortunes to luck as much as to anything else

The concept is really simple -- most people get rich becuase they love what they do for a living. And they are good at it. And, as chance would have it, the things they like to do are in demand by others -- so they also are getting paid well.

Many other people have no such luck. They like to do things that others do not find all that valuable. Or they don't possess enough talents to compete with those who do. Those people have to work hard to earn a basic living and the money is the main thing that motivates them to work.

That is why the rich are so fortunate. And that is why asking them to pay higher taxes is only fair. Also that is why higher taxes would not discourage them from working -- remember, they are not providing their services just for money!

I believe that a society should reward people primary for their efforts -- and much less the end result, as the productivity can change dramatically between the different lines of work. The society should encourage higher productivity as well by allowing some inequality -- by letting people take home many times the average salary.

But there is nothing wrong if people making millions would have to give up most of their income in taxes.

The uber-wealthy make most of their money off of the market which is mostly luck.

The concept is really simple -- most people get rich becuase they love what they do for a living. And they are good at it. And, as chance would have it, the things they like to do are in demand by others -- so they also are getting paid well.

Many other people have no such luck. They like to do things that others do not find all that valuable. Or they don't possess enough talents to compete with those who do. Those people have to work hard to earn a basic living and the money is the main thing that motivates them to work.

That is why the rich are so fortunate. And that is why asking them to pay higher taxes is only fair. Also that is why higher taxes would not discourage them from working -- remember, they are not providing their services just for money!

I believe that a society should reward people primary for their efforts -- and much less the end result, as the productivity can change dramatically between the different lines of work. The society should encourage higher productivity as well by allowing some inequality -- by letting people take home many times the average salary.

But there is nothing wrong if people making millions would have to give up most of their income in taxes.

This is beyond retarded illogic. There is no word for this kind of twisted thinking.

I think pretty people should be penalized. They did not earn their good looks, so they should pay a penalty just for being good looking. We should force them to wear ugly masks.

How old are you?

Well, it is hard when some one pops a cozy information bubble around you, but try to be a man and keep your shit together.

And that goes for all you rightwing whiners.

The uber-wealthy make most of their money off of the market which is mostly luck.

The top one percent are not all Rockefellers, Einstein.

Wow. The naked class warfare is really coming to the fore now!

The premise here is bull shit. No discussion can follow from it.

It's hard to argue the obvious, isn't it?

The top one percent are not all Rockefellers, Einstein.

No but most of their income is from capital gains.

I think pretty people should be penalized. They did not earn their good looks, so they should pay a penalty just for being good looking. We should force them to wear ugly masks.

Any good idea can be taken to extremes -- it does not mean anything.

Bull shit. Give me one example of a job that requires little work and pays enough to make you rich.

Many other people have no such luck.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

They like to do things that others do not find all that valuable. Or they don't possess enough talents to compete with those who do. Those people have to work hard to earn a basic living and the money is the main thing that motivates them to work.

Luck has nothing to do with it. It's their own poor life choices that led them to have to do minimum wage grunt work that they hate. No one has a job that they love to do but can't make money at. Playing video games is a hobby, not a job.

That is why the rich are so fortunate. And that is why asking them to pay higher taxes is only fair.

They are not "fortunate", that is a catch word that the left uses to make the gullible think it's fair to take their money by force.

Also that is why higher taxes would not discourage them from working -- remember, they are not providing their services just for money!

Um, yes they are.

You make it sound as if these people are "awarded" by the good graces of the government (society). These people earned their money. It isn't society's money. It's theirs. They take home however much they want to, you don't "let" them take it home.

Colossally ignorant statement.

No one owes anyone anything, unless there is a contractural relationship between them.

But there is a contractual relationship already -- it says that the rich must pay most of taxes in this country. We should change is so they pay a bit more.

Really?? Can you show me a copy of it and tell me who SIGNED it?

It is called the tax code, and it is signed by people's representatives. Ever heard of democracy?

Luck? certainly some. But every successful person has one moment. A moment where one person gave them their break. Problem is none of them ever admit it and say I did it allllllllll on my own.

Last edited:

You know, if you spent as much time working on improving your own lot in life as you do seething over the fact that other people have more than you do, maybe you'd be more successful and not be such a loser. Just a thought.

I believe that a society should reward people primary for their efforts

No, you very clearly do not. If you did you wouldn't be coming on here constantly spouting your Marxist class envy bullshit.

Why don't you go crawl back under the rock you came out from under, you thieving, parasitic little Commie.

Bull shit. Give me one example of a job that requires little work and pays enough to make you rich.

Who are you arguing with? I never said that you can get rich with little work.

Many other people have no such luck.

Luck has nothing to do with it. It's their own poor life choices that led them to have to do minimum wage grunt work that they hate. No one has a job that they love to do but can't make money at. Playing video games is a hobby, not a job.

Some people enjoy their day jobs more than playing video games. That is what they are lucky -- or fortunate.

You make it sound as if these people are "awarded" by the good graces of the government (society).

Because this is true -- any member of society is rewarded by society. That is what the society is about. If you don't like it, you are free to earn your millions in an inhabited island.

These people earned their money. It isn't society's money. It's theirs.

Not true. Money is only yours if you have earned them in an inhabited island, or in lawless jungles. Otherwise you owe it to the people following rules, so you can get rich.

Colossally ignorant statement.

Colossally convincing argument :)

Last edited:
You know, if you spent as much time working on improving your own lot in life as you do seething over the fact that other people have more than you do, maybe you'd be more successful and not be such a loser.

Tell it to Warren Buffet. Loser.

Last edited:
Probably mostly to amuse myself...

The concept is really simple -- most people get rich becuase they love what they do for a living. And they are good at it.

Nah, not really. "Most" rich people who build business that become big enough to make them rich, assuming that's who you're referring to here, have to put in massive amounts of hours and take a lot of risk. They also end up having to take on more responsibilities outside of what that one core thing they love to do is. It's highly stressful, time consuming and they often have to make a lot of personal sacrifices to make things work, like family commitments, marriages, etc. I'm not sure of anyone who would classify that as "fun." Some aspects of it sure, but not most.

And, as chance would have it, the things they like to do are in demand by others -- so they also are getting paid well.

See above. I'll give you the premise that some people invent stuff that other people would be willing to pay a lot for. But, just because someone invents something doesn't mean they automatically make millions on it. There's a shit ton of work involved filing for patents, copyrights, securing capital/manufacturing, developing marketing, business plans, etc etc. All that stuff is what i was referring to above as lots of hours, risk, stress and taking on tasks that these people don't really like to do. Someone who invents doesn't do business plans, marketing, manufacturing deals. They do that part so they can get paid.

It's probably moreso the opposite. While most everyone wants to be rich, most people who have the capability to do it don't want to put in the effort that's required. So, they'll work 40-50 hours a week with relatively low stress and a comfortable wage that allows them to do many of the things they'd like to do. That's the American dream, dude. The lower skilled workers need to work harder and longer just to get to that level until they get more skilled and make themselves more valuable.

That is why the rich are so fortunate. And that is why asking them to pay higher taxes is only fair.

As laid out, your premise is total bullshit. The only rich people it really applies to are lottery winners. Even entertainers and athletes work hard at their craft in order to get where they are despite the fact that was they (presumably) love to do is something that people will pay a lot of money for.

I'm not even getting into the whole "what he/she loves to do is more valuable than what he/she does so it's not fair" argument. I could be the best person in the world as making monkey noises and i love to do it. Just because i'm the best and i love to do it doesn't mean anyone is obligated to pay me to make monkey noises all day long. If you want to say that i'm unlucky for being able to make uncannily accurate monkey noises instead of being 7'0" tall with a 42" vertical then fine, but such is life.

In my world, you try to make the most of what you've got and appreciate the things to do have, not focus on what you don't have and resent others because they have it.

Last edited:

LOL Homie!

Dats fun-neh

Luck? certainly some. But every successful person has one moment. A momenet where one person gave them their break. Problem is none of them ever admit it and say I did it allllllllll on my own.

Well, you should give the credit when it is due -- many rich people do admit that they are very lucky and owe a lot to the society.

There is EVERYTHING wrong with people having to give up most of thier income, regardless of how much they make, in taxes.

If you want other people's money, do the honorable thing and rob them. Dont make the government do it for you.

It would be their money if they earn them in an inhabited island, or in lawless jungles. Then they would owe nothing to any one else.

But that is not the case. The rich got to the top because the way our society is set up, because many other people follow its rules and make right decisions every day. The rich owe most of their fortunes to those people.

You've been fed too much leftist bullcrap...try not to be so jealous of others, it make you look small
and while you're at it, STOP voting for all them Rich Democrats as your masters..

Last edited:
this asshole's bullshit premise being used to justify his want to confiscate a majority from others he is jealous of... must be rdummy's butt buddy repeating what e hears from rdummy's pillowtalk

Forum List

Back