Why the Republican Party is doomed

No... repubs were generally the party of rich people. This whole "social conservative" thing, that ultimately contributed to the party's failure, was never part of the mix.

Right, they've always been the party of the Wall Street Tycoons. To some extent, the DLC democrats have emulated them.

The GOP was only able to become a majority party by using social conservatives and exploing race and gender wedge issues.

That's why you'll never see the GOP throw the religious rightwing under the bus. They can't win without them.

Can't say I am rich as far as money goes. Never have been. It was several Republicans that stepped up to the plate back in the days I had been blacklisted for complaining about being sexually harrassed. There was not one Dem that stepped up to put a stop to the Blacklisting of every woman contractor that Idaho DOT had effectively gotten rid of through harrassment or other means twenty plus years ago.

Here in Iowa it was Dems in charge while my mining operation was trashed through vandelism, sabatoge, etc.... Not one of them would come forward when my dozer was stolen by the local gestapo and I was threaten with arrest for reporting it stolen. That is not to say that any Republicans came forward to put a stop to any of it either here.

What you have with the Republican party is a loss of decency just like you have had with any other political entity out there.

When the Republicans refused to protection to the private and the working man they screwed themselves.

The Republicans helped buy off the Dems and the Dems now have the ball in their court.

If the Republicans wish to continue they need to wake up. That wake up call has been out there for more than ten years. Hell it was a dear ole Republican that sold Iowa out to the bankers and insurance thugs back in 1992. It took both Republicans and democrats to make that backdoor deal and the people bought into it.

Both parties suck at taking care of the people that they supposedly represent. Todays economy proves that point.

All that does is point out that rich people vote Republican. But the majority of Republican voters are NOT rich, and the majority of Dem voters are higher income than the Republican base.

So the comment the Republican party is the party of rich people is misleading.

No... repubs were generally the party of rich people. This whole "social conservative" thing, that ultimately contributed to the party's failure, was never part of the mix.

I agree that the "Social Conservative" thing is relatively recent. Carter got them in the 1976 election and Reagan in the 1980 election.

That is the end of our agreement however. The Repubs could not be made up of "Rich" people at any point in history. The numbers just don't add up. Even today if you accept the standard breakdown that 33% are Repubs, 36% or so are Dems and the rest are Independents, then your theory cannot be correct, because 33% of the people in this country are not "rich."

In previous days, when party identity was much higher and fewer people were "independent" there were as many as 40%+ that identified as Republicans. Clearly, 40%+ were never "rich."

So, don't start believing the Dem class warfare bullshit. It is for the consumption of the masses, not people who actually know something about this shit. It's just another simple attempt to take advantage of the ignorance of most people about things political in order to control them.

I agree that the "Social Conservative" thing is relatively recent. Carter got them in the 1976 election and Reagan in the 1980 election.

That is the end of our agreement however. The Repubs could not be made up of "Rich" people at any point in history. The numbers just don't add up. Even today if you accept the standard breakdown that 33% are Repubs, 36% or so are Dems and the rest are Independents, then your theory cannot be correct, because 33% of the people in this country are not "rich."

In previous days, when party identity was much higher and fewer people were "independent" there were as many as 40%+ that identified as Republicans. Clearly, 40%+ were never "rich."

So, don't start believing the Dem class warfare bullshit. It is for the consumption of the masses, not people who actually know something about this shit. It's just another simple attempt to take advantage of the ignorance of most people about things political in order to control them.

:clap2:

The Repubs could not be made up of "Rich" people at any point in history. The numbers just don't add up.

I don't think any one ever implied that the republican base was "mostly rich people". That's just stupid.

The rich are an exceedingly small minority in this country. A few hundred thousand at most. We are one of the most economically stratified countries in the developed world, with a few thousand people holding most of the wealth.

What we're saying, and what if factually accurate, is that the GOP represents the interests of wealth, capital, and corporations.

While they were distracting you with talk of affirmative action and abortion, they shipped our industrial base overseas along with our jobs, the gave massive tax cuts to the rich investor class, and they created thousands of loopholes in the tax code to enable the rich to reduce their tax burden.

And yes, there were democratic enablers to this fucked up "lassaize faire' return to robber barron capitalism. But, its fundamentally a core GOP interest.

Right, they've always been the party of the Wall Street Tycoons. To some extent, the DLC democrats have emulated them.

The GOP was only able to become a majority party by using social conservatives and exploing race and gender wedge issues.

That's why you'll never see the GOP throw the religious rightwing under the bus. They can't win without them.

That's fine except 2/3s of Wall Street bankers are Dems, as are most "professionals" Doctors, Lawyers, College Professors etc. But, don't let the truth stand in the way of your point.

You may be right about the religious right. (Unfortunately) I couldn't stomach it any more which is why I left the party.

The GOP is not doomed because the American voter is really stupid. They'll see Obama fix all the mistakes the GOP created, and it will no doubt cost money, which means raising taxes, and the GOP will run on a "lower taxes" platform, and they will win.

Thanks for the excellent example of the extent of liberal 'ideas'. Basically every liberal idea is throw tax payer money at it. yeah that takes real brain power to come up with.

Or they'll forget that CEO's were part of the problem and they will vote in Mitt Romney because he was a CEO. What are the chances that he as a former CEO would tackle excessive CEO pay? Slim you say? Yet people will view him being a CEO as a plus when they considered John edwards being a lawyer who helps victims as a negative. Go figure.

Or they'll gorw a brain that posesses a modicum of common sense and realize 'evil corporate America' is a figment of the left's imagination.

And the GOP should never have more than 25% of the seats in Washington anyways. They only represent about 10% of the population if you only consider economics. The other 15% comes from the south where Republicans win on god, gays and guns.

Just because liberals are louder does not mean there are more of you.

All that does is point out that rich people vote Republican. But the majority of Republican voters are NOT rich, and the majority of Dem voters are higher income than the Republican base.

So the comment the Republican party is the party of rich people is misleading.

There policies benifit the rich, that is why they throw in the christian right bent to come close to winning elections, then they cheat the rest of the way to win.

Its over now though, Obama proved they cant cheat enough to win anymore.

Rather here is the reason Republicans are faltering is:

(1) George W Bush
(2) George W Bush
(3) George W Bush
(4) Alienation of Largest growing segment of US population - the Latinos. Yes the Republicans are taking a justifiable stance against illegal immigration and border protection. However, I believe Latinos make up 25% of the population and they get turned off on illegal immigration and border protect talks.
(5) The hardcore anti-gay marriage and prolife stance turns off young people. Along with other things.
(6) They have never done good with attracting blacks.
(7) The unpopularity of the Iraq war
(8) The current private healthcare system in America is failing! The service provided is the best in the world, but paying for it is horrendous! The uninsured and over-insured is ever increasing. Even people with insurance get saddled with co-pays that are devastating! Idiots like Hannity and Rush still stick to their guns that its the best healthcare system in the world and not to change a thing. That will never be adequate explanation for the lower and middle class who have 1 vote just like them.
(9) The Clinton surplus and relatively nice economy vs Bush and the record deficit and well perhaps a depression!
(10) Did I mention GWB
(11) The increased hatred of the US abroad under GWB

Need I say more.
I will be honest if by 2012 the economy is looking up, I will definitely jump ship and put in a vote for Obama!

That's fine except 2/3s of Wall Street bankers are Dems,

Link???

as are most "professionals" Doctors, Lawyers, College Professors etc. But, don't let the truth stand in the way of your point.

College professors aren't rich.

And i agree, people who go into professions for the betterment of society like education, science, and medicine are probably more liberal. Its a liberal value to collectively want to help and contribute to people and society as a whole.

Republicans are more in it for themselves. That's why businessmen and bankers trend republican.

I don't think any one ever implied that the republican base was "mostly rich people". That's just stupid.

The rich are an exceedingly small minority in this country. A few hundred thousand at most. We are one of the most economically stratified countries in the developed world, with a few thousand people holding most of the wealth.

What we're saying, and what if factually accurate, is that the GOP represents the interests of wealth, capital, and corporations.

While they were distracting you with talk of affirmative action and abortion, they shipped our industrial base overseas along with our jobs, the gave massive tax cuts to the rich investor class, and they created thousands of loopholes in the tax code to enable the rich to reduce their tax burden.

And yes, there were democratic enablers to this fucked up "lassaize faire' return to robber barron capitalism. But, its fundamentally a core GOP interest.

I would recommend you review the economic policies of the last 100 years. I think you will find that you are giving too much credit to Repubs and not enough to the Dems for their part in shipping jobs overseas.

As to whether wealthy people were able to keep too much of the money they earned, well, I'm not sure how much of one's money I think the government is entitled to confiscate.

The way the rules are set up now, there is 40%+ of the people who don't pay any income tax while 10% of the people pay 60% of all taxes and 20% pay 80% of all taxes. So really, what is it that you are asking for?

Do you want a system where 60% of the people pay nothing and 20% pay 95% of the taxes? I mean really, where are you going?

Link???

And i agree, people who go into professions for the betterment of society like education, science, and medicine are probably more liberal. Its a liberal value to collectively want to help and contribute to people and society as a whole.

Republicans are more in it for themselves. That's why businessmen and bankers trend republican.

Do a search on here. I cited this and linked it before.

I guess it depends what you call rich. There's a professor at Washington State that is makes over $240,000 / year. That's more than I get. The story I heard yesterday on the radio was that the average salary for a full professor was in the low to mid $100,000s. I think that puts them in the top 20% any way.

So, you liberals like David Truman and dislike Andy Jackson, got it.

Link???

Bullshit. THey're more liberal because they've been brainwashed by the liberal thought factories that are our universities.

The ones who can think for themselves tend to be Republicans, and coincidentally make more money to better contribute to society...while the college liberals sit around on their asses green with envy and hate.

Rather here is the reason Republicans are faltering is:

(1) George W Bush
(2) George W Bush
(3) George W Bush
(4) Alienation of Largest growing segment of US population - the Latinos. Yes the Republicans are taking a justifiable stance against illegal immigration and border protection. However, I believe Latinos make up 25% of the population and they get turned off on illegal immigration and border protect talks.
(5) The hardcore anti-gay marriage and prolife stance turns off young people. Along with other things.
(6) They have never done good with attracting blacks.
(7) The unpopularity of the Iraq war
(8) The current private healthcare system in America is failing! The service provided is the best in the world, but paying for it is horrendous! The uninsured and over-insured is ever increasing. Even people with insurance get saddled with co-pays that are devastating! Idiots like Hannity and Rush still stick to their guns that its the best healthcare system in the world and not to change a thing. That will never be adequate explanation for the lower and middle class who have 1 vote just like them.
(9) The Clinton surplus and relatively nice economy vs Bush and the record deficit and well perhaps a depression!
(10) Did I mention GWB
(11) The increased hatred of the US abroad under GWB

Need I say more.
I will be honest if by 2012 the economy is looking up, I will definitely jump ship and put in a vote for Obama!

Don't forget the GOP congress that went along with everything bush wanted. And Bush didn't veto one of their bills. That was a record.

Tom Delay was the ring leader.

But to put all this on Bush? No way. The GOP is right. The president doesn't have the power to ruin the economy all on his own. It took help.

That means confirming all his bullshit appointees too. Brownie to Fema. Appointing energy company CEO's to write our energy policies. No wonder gas went up to $4 a gallon.

Bullshit. THey're more liberal because they've been brainwashed by the liberal thought factories that are our universities.

The ones who can think for themselves tend to be Republicans, and coincidentally make more money to better contribute to society...while the college liberals sit around on their asses green with envy and hate.

So now even college educated people don't cut the mustard with you people? So labor sucks, college grads suck,

Who doesn't suck Allie? If blue collar sucks and new white collar sucks, who doesn't suck?

There policies benifit the rich, that is why they throw in the christian right bent to come close to winning elections, then they cheat the rest of the way to win.

Its over now though, Obama proved they cant cheat enough to win anymore.

THere are mindless liberal clones everywhere, and you are one of them. Are yop capable of thinking, or do you just mindlessly recite what you're told to?

Throw out some evidence that there was any cheating in this election. Let me rephrase that. Throw out some evidence that there was cheating by the RIGHT in this (or any, actually) election. Black Panthers intimidating voters were your guys, don't forget.

Forum List

Back