Why The Psychology Major Was Perfect For Me

serenesam

Aug 6, 2011
Southern California
When I was in my final year in college, I graduated with a major in psychology and a minor in business management. As I look back, I sort of wished I never minored in business management. Virtually everything I learned in the school of business tends to differ and even contradicted from what I was learning in psychology. In the school of business, I learned that globalization is such a wonderful thing from my marketing professor. I learned that the gap between the rich and the poor is not widening from my business ethics professor. I learned that the ultimate goal in the organization is profit maximization. I learned that Warren Buffet was such an intelligent man who was rejected to Harvard University because he was too young. There was a lot of glory given to the study of Warren Buffet. Who would have known that a year later, I was watching the Keiser Report and Max Keiser was talking about the unethical practices of Warren Buffet. Perhaps the “almost” oxymoronic phrase of “business ethics” is not as cheesy as it appears to be.

On the contrast, when I was sitting in my psychology courses, globalization did not really seem like a great thing. I learned about socioeconomic status, poverty, stratification, exploitation of one country upon another country, cheap labor, and poor little kids having to work in sweatshops. A human being did not seem like a human resource or a human asset in its denotative definition that you get from the textbook or encyclopedia. A human being was more like an expendable container or just a serial number to do repetitive boring tasks. A human being was a slave to labor because as the research suggested, a person born of low socioeconomic status will die as the same status. I learned that the gap between the rich and poor is widening and getting bigger as time passes by. I learned from my psychology professors that they went into this profession not for the money but to be educators and perhaps aid in fixing for the good of all people. I still remember the final farewell words from one of my developmental psychology professors near the end of the semester and she said, “I mean, I didn’t get rich.” It really did get my attention as I have always known long ago that life was much more than paying the bills and eating foods. We are here for a purpose and that is to better the conditions of the whole world to the benefit of everyone. She also added that “You will be shocked to find that the financial analyst and managers make a thousand times more money than you, but they really aren’t that smart.”

The simple act of watching and observing my fellow classmates was very fascinating to me. I have been both with business students and psychology students and the differences are present. I found business students to be highly competitive not just within themselves but with each other. They are very keen at perceiving strength. They value strength and not weakness. I even had an intro to management business professor that said, “The chain is only as strong as its weakest link.” Perhaps that was just a fancy way of saying “align yourselves with the strong, cut off the weak, and do not associate yourself with those who have developmental disabilities for they may drag you down.” Even the women seemed heartless and cold. They are only nice to you if they think you are smart and so they can use you to help them partner study or group study. Some of the students already hold supervisorial positions in the real world and they just go to school part time. I was personally attracted to my fellow psychology students because they tend to be quite the opposite. I found psychology students to be a lot warmer and friendlier (not the fake friendliness you get from business students). They are very sharp at understanding human behavior. All of my professors and even the teaching assistants were very, very nice people. They were very compassionate beings. When I look back to my college experience, I can honestly say that I learned a lot about not just the study of psychology but life itself. I still remember the life lessons and stories from my professors and fellow classmates and I went home in awe just about every time.

So going back to the fundamental reason why I studied business management in the first place was because I was interested in the accounting and finance aspect and not the deceptive tactics of how to use the foot-in-the-door technique or the door-in-the-face technique or even selling an item for $999.99 instead of $1,000.00. Now that I think about it, it was just a waste of time to brainwash me and turn me into a psychopathic entity. I could have spent that time doing graduate studies in experimental psychology or advance neuropsychology. The hell with it, spending time learning every area of Brodmann’s area would be worth much more value of my time even if it took me 1000 hours.

I was a Psych major myself when obtaining my BA degree in 1978 although I focused more on Behaviorism rather than Psycho-Analytic, Humanistic or Transpersonal.

Capitalism built this country into one of the materially richest in the world. Unfortunately the price of becoming a consumer-oriented, capitalistic nation is to turn many of our citizens into shallow, materialistic people as you met in your business classes. We've turned into a nation of people screaming "Me! Me! Me!" who believe everything can be bought and sold. Too few understand the value of sacrifice or putting one's life on the line for an idea. Our Congressmen are now primarily businessmen and lawyers, not veterans who know value of teamwork, self-sacrifice and self-discipline.

When I was in my final year in college, I graduated with a major in psychology and a minor in business management. As I look back, I sort of wished I never minored in business management. Virtually everything I learned in the school of business tends to differ and even contradicted from what I was learning in psychology. In the school of business, I learned that globalization is such a wonderful thing from my marketing professor. I learned that the gap between the rich and the poor is not widening from my business ethics professor. I learned that the ultimate goal in the organization is profit maximization. I learned that Warren Buffet was such an intelligent man who was rejected to Harvard University because he was too young. There was a lot of glory given to the study of Warren Buffet. Who would have known that a year later, I was watching the Keiser Report and Max Keiser was talking about the unethical practices of Warren Buffet. Perhaps the “almost” oxymoronic phrase of “business ethics” is not as cheesy as it appears to be.

On the contrast, when I was sitting in my psychology courses, globalization did not really seem like a great thing. I learned about socioeconomic status, poverty, stratification, exploitation of one country upon another country, cheap labor, and poor little kids having to work in sweatshops. A human being did not seem like a human resource or a human asset in its denotative definition that you get from the textbook or encyclopedia. A human being was more like an expendable container or just a serial number to do repetitive boring tasks. A human being was a slave to labor because as the research suggested, a person born of low socioeconomic status will die as the same status. I learned that the gap between the rich and poor is widening and getting bigger as time passes by. I learned from my psychology professors that they went into this profession not for the money but to be educators and perhaps aid in fixing for the good of all people. I still remember the final farewell words from one of my developmental psychology professors near the end of the semester and she said, “I mean, I didn’t get rich.” It really did get my attention as I have always known long ago that life was much more than paying the bills and eating foods. We are here for a purpose and that is to better the conditions of the whole world to the benefit of everyone. She also added that “You will be shocked to find that the financial analyst and managers make a thousand times more money than you, but they really aren’t that smart.”

The simple act of watching and observing my fellow classmates was very fascinating to me. I have been both with business students and psychology students and the differences are present. I found business students to be highly competitive not just within themselves but with each other. They are very keen at perceiving strength. They value strength and not weakness. I even had an intro to management business professor that said, “The chain is only as strong as its weakest link.” Perhaps that was just a fancy way of saying “align yourselves with the strong, cut off the weak, and do not associate yourself with those who have developmental disabilities for they may drag you down.” Even the women seemed heartless and cold. They are only nice to you if they think you are smart and so they can use you to help them partner study or group study. Some of the students already hold supervisorial positions in the real world and they just go to school part time. I was personally attracted to my fellow psychology students because they tend to be quite the opposite. I found psychology students to be a lot warmer and friendlier (not the fake friendliness you get from business students). They are very sharp at understanding human behavior. All of my professors and even the teaching assistants were very, very nice people. They were very compassionate beings. When I look back to my college experience, I can honestly say that I learned a lot about not just the study of psychology but life itself. I still remember the life lessons and stories from my professors and fellow classmates and I went home in awe just about every time.

So going back to the fundamental reason why I studied business management in the first place was because I was interested in the accounting and finance aspect and not the deceptive tactics of how to use the foot-in-the-door technique or the door-in-the-face technique or even selling an item for $999.99 instead of $1,000.00. Now that I think about it, it was just a waste of time to brainwash me and turn me into a psychopathic entity. I could have spent that time doing graduate studies in experimental psychology or advance neuropsychology. The hell with it, spending time learning every area of Brodmann’s area would be worth much more value of my time even if it took me 1000 hours.

So in short you have a problem with competition?

Well, you didn't learn much as a psychology student if you don't understand that humans as a species are competitive in nature.

Besides, you claimed you wanted to be an "accountant" and your knee-jerk reaction to that was "business management?"

Accountants don't manage businesses.... :lol:

Psychology is the study of NOT THINKING.

People who think they are smart are constantly trying to tell people that they regard as dumb what to think. This almost invariably involves LEAVING OUT IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

So 42 years after the Moon landing economists do not talk about planned obsolescence and of course say nothing about how many TRILLIONS the world has lost on the depreciation of all of the JUNK.

Economic Wargames

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5DCwN28y8o]The Light Bulb Conspiracy - YouTube[/ame]

[36]
psik

Last edited:

Your education was a complete waste of money and time.

Well, you didn't learn much as a psychology student if you don't understand that humans as a species are competitive in nature.

Besides, you claimed you wanted to be an "accountant" and your knee-jerk reaction to that was "business management?"

Oh really?

Humans May Not Be As Aggressive And Competitive As Thought

Psychology is the study of NOT THINKING.

People who think they are smart are constantly trying to tell people that they regard as dumb what to think. This almost invariably involves LEAVING OUT IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

First of all, I never stated that I was smart or smarter than anybody here. Nor do I think anybody in field of psychology would say that too.[/QUOTE]

Your education was a complete waste of money and time.

Now this, I would have to agree as you learn so much more outside of school and even more so when you are done with school.

I especially like this passage from your post: "I even had an intro to management business professor that said, “The chain is only as strong as its weakest link.” Perhaps that was just a fancy way of saying “align yourselves with the strong, cut off the weak, and do not associate yourself with those who have developmental disabilities for they may drag you down.”

Or perhaps he meant, "We are only as strong as the weakest link" so make the weak link stronger through training, career development, education and mentorship. Is that possibly what he meant?

Thankfully your personal bias is not getting in the way of a this outstanding scholarly report on contemporary business education.

Freud is a bigger fraud than Buffett.

aplcr0331<--------------Psych Major.

You should change your thread title to "Why I'm Perfect......for a psych major". It's more appropriate.

Last edited:
When I was in my final year in college, I graduated with a major in psychology and a minor in business management. As I look back, I sort of wished I never minored in business management. Virtually everything I learned in the school of business tends to differ and even contradicted from what I was learning in psychology. In the school of business, I learned that globalization is such a wonderful thing from my marketing professor. I learned that the gap between the rich and the poor is not widening from my business ethics professor. I learned that the ultimate goal in the organization is profit maximization. I learned that Warren Buffet was such an intelligent man who was rejected to Harvard University because he was too young. There was a lot of glory given to the study of Warren Buffet. Who would have known that a year later, I was watching the Keiser Report and Max Keiser was talking about the unethical practices of Warren Buffet. Perhaps the &#8220;almost&#8221; oxymoronic phrase of &#8220;business ethics&#8221; is not as cheesy as it appears to be.

On the contrast, when I was sitting in my psychology courses, globalization did not really seem like a great thing. I learned about socioeconomic status, poverty, stratification, exploitation of one country upon another country, cheap labor, and poor little kids having to work in sweatshops. A human being did not seem like a human resource or a human asset in its denotative definition that you get from the textbook or encyclopedia. A human being was more like an expendable container or just a serial number to do repetitive boring tasks. A human being was a slave to labor because as the research suggested, a person born of low socioeconomic status will die as the same status. I learned that the gap between the rich and poor is widening and getting bigger as time passes by. I learned from my psychology professors that they went into this profession not for the money but to be educators and perhaps aid in fixing for the good of all people. I still remember the final farewell words from one of my developmental psychology professors near the end of the semester and she said, &#8220;I mean, I didn&#8217;t get rich.&#8221; It really did get my attention as I have always known long ago that life was much more than paying the bills and eating foods. We are here for a purpose and that is to better the conditions of the whole world to the benefit of everyone. She also added that &#8220;You will be shocked to find that the financial analyst and managers make a thousand times more money than you, but they really aren&#8217;t that smart.&#8221;

The simple act of watching and observing my fellow classmates was very fascinating to me. I have been both with business students and psychology students and the differences are present. I found business students to be highly competitive not just within themselves but with each other. They are very keen at perceiving strength. They value strength and not weakness. I even had an intro to management business professor that said, &#8220;The chain is only as strong as its weakest link.&#8221; Perhaps that was just a fancy way of saying &#8220;align yourselves with the strong, cut off the weak, and do not associate yourself with those who have developmental disabilities for they may drag you down.&#8221; Even the women seemed heartless and cold. They are only nice to you if they think you are smart and so they can use you to help them partner study or group study. Some of the students already hold supervisorial positions in the real world and they just go to school part time. I was personally attracted to my fellow psychology students because they tend to be quite the opposite. I found psychology students to be a lot warmer and friendlier (not the fake friendliness you get from business students). They are very sharp at understanding human behavior. All of my professors and even the teaching assistants were very, very nice people. They were very compassionate beings. When I look back to my college experience, I can honestly say that I learned a lot about not just the study of psychology but life itself. I still remember the life lessons and stories from my professors and fellow classmates and I went home in awe just about every time.

So going back to the fundamental reason why I studied business management in the first place was because I was interested in the accounting and finance aspect and not the deceptive tactics of how to use the foot-in-the-door technique or the door-in-the-face technique or even selling an item for $999.99 instead of $1,000.00. Now that I think about it, it was just a waste of time to brainwash me and turn me into a psychopathic entity. I could have spent that time doing graduate studies in experimental psychology or advance neuropsychology. The hell with it, spending time learning every area of Brodmann&#8217;s area would be worth much more value of my time even if it took me 1000 hours.

Oh really?

Humans May Not Be As Aggressive And Competitive As Thought

A paper from 2002 states primates are not aggressive all the time and you conclude that humans are not as aggressive and competitive? Which in turn means not aggressive and competitive at all? Is that what you got from the research presented?

Are there any follow ups to this paper? What is the general consesus of most scientist on the humans as competitve theory?

Last edited:
Why am I supposed to give a shit about this?

I think you are supposed to understand that business people are evil and want to kill handicapped kids and try to sell you things for high prices. While Psych majors are sunny rainbow farting unicorn flower people that have such high rates of intelligence that are not only exceeded by their humility but also their undying love for their fellow man (unless of course he's a businessman, then that makes him a racist redneck white republican tea party capitalist pig-and THAT human can die a painful death).

Got it?

Last edited:
I especially like this passage from your post: "I even had an intro to management business professor that said, “The chain is only as strong as its weakest link.” Perhaps that was just a fancy way of saying “align yourselves with the strong, cut off the weak, and do not associate yourself with those who have developmental disabilities for they may drag you down.”

Or perhaps he meant, "We are only as strong as the weakest link" so make the weak link stronger through training, career development, education and mentorship. Is that possibly what he meant?

Nope. He said what I quoted verbatim. He was also very arrogant and egotistically-driven.

Thankfully your personal bias is not getting in the way of a this outstanding scholarly report on contemporary business education.

Yeah and it's no wonder we are breeding a generation of Madoffs and white collar crimes.

Freud is a bigger fraud than Buffett.

Nice opinion.

You should change your thread title to "Why I'm Perfect......for a psych major". It's more appropriate.

It's called thinking for yourself and not allowing others to dictate your preferences and likes. :)

Unlike the fraudulent Democrat versus Republican disguise. :)

Here is psychology for you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jUJUa77kk]USF Elevator Experiment - YouTube[/ame]

Is it the study of not thinking so we can do a better job of producing more people that do not think FOR THEMSELVES?

psik

USF Elevator Experiment - YouTube

Is it the study of not thinking so we can do a better job of producing more people that do not think FOR THEMSELVES?

psik

Wrong conclusion, Hackr. It's a study of conformity. As the linked website notes, we conform for several reasons. While these may seem either minor or contrary to individual will on the surface, a deeper look shows that we retain our free will, but conform to societal norms for communal purposes. Without conformity, we have anarchy. It isn't about "thinking for ourselves". The "elevator experiment" isn't a matter of life and death or having severe consequences. It's a relatively minor conformity to a social situation with no life altering consequences.

As a Behaviorist, these studies fascinated me and still do. It reveals a bit about why we do as we do, but the projections only work for group averages, not individuals.

Last edited:

USF Elevator Experiment - YouTube

psik

Wrong conclusion, Hackr. It's a study of conformity. As the linked website notes, we conform for several reasons. While these may seem either minor or contrary to individual will on the surface, a deeper look shows that we retain our free will, but conform to societal norms for communal purposes. Without conformity, we have anarchy. It isn't about "thinking for ourselves". The "elevator experiment" isn't a matter of life and death or having severe consequences. It's a relatively minor conformity to a social situation with no life altering consequences.

As a Behaviorist, these studies fascinated me and still do. It reveals a bit about why we do as we do, but the projections only work for group averages, not individuals.

You just sound like a conformist rationalizing nonsense to me.

What could be the point of facing different ways in an elevator just because other people are doing it? The person is just in the elevator to wait for it to move to his desired floor. Conforming to other people's movements is TOTALLY POINTLESS. And not even knowing the people. :lol: :lol:

That is psychologically conditioned stupidity.

I went to Catholic schools. Stand up, kneel down, genuflect, etc., etc.

I decided I was an agnostic at 12 and stopped going to church when I graduated from grade school It was just conforming to brainwashed nitwits.

psik

You just sound like a conformist rationalizing nonsense to me.

What could be the point of facing different ways in an elevator just because other people are doing it? The person is just in the elevator to wait for it to move to his desired floor. Conforming to other people's movements is TOTALLY POINTLESS. And not even knowing the people. :lol: :lol:

That is psychologically conditioned stupidity.

I went to Catholic schools. Stand up, kneel down, genuflect, etc., etc.

I decided I was an agnostic at 12 and stopped going to church when I graduated from grade school It was just conforming to brainwashed nitwits.

psik

Namecalling is an emotional reaction to factual matters. It's normal for young people to rebel against the norm just as it is normal for fledgling bird to leave the nest.

Conformity is necessary for a society in order to maintain social order. Mindless conformity is harmful as we can note in history, especially under fascism or other dictatorships. To label something as simple as a the elevator experiment as an example of "psychologically conditioned stupidity" or "brainwashed nitwits" speaks more to the psychology of the person doing the labeling than those who are doing the conforming in such an innocuous social setting.

....So going back to the fundamental reason why I studied business management in the first place was because I was interested in the accounting and finance aspect and not the deceptive tactics of how to use the foot-in-the-door technique or the door-in-the-face technique or even selling an item for $999.99 instead of $1,000.00. Now that I think about it, it was just a waste of time to brainwash me and turn me into a psychopathic entity. I could have spent that time doing graduate studies in experimental psychology or advance neuropsychology. The hell with it, spending time learning every area of Brodmann’s area would be worth much more value of my time even if it took me 1000 hours.

Interesting post, you'll need to excuse the name-calling, I get it all the time. People see the world through their personal filters and the name calling must be embedded in our evolutionary heads as the easiest answer. A harder question for me is why business / markets / capitalism / any ism so often becomes corrupt or a ponzi scheme, I am not religious but the bible sure got the love of money part right, now if only the golden rule part got some daylight. Here are a few links you may find interesting.

Taming the Savage Market

This is an interesting piece on argument / debate and rationality.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/science-and-technology/166739-reason-is-not-rational.html

Forum List

Back