Why the principles in Citizens United should be expanded

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    There are idiots out there that think politicians have their best interests at heart. I cannot stress enough just how stupid that belief is.

States are cracking down on political speech with burdensome laws - The Washington Post

2. Valox

Valox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Montana says fuck you to your big government statism.
    Montana Supreme Court Defies Citizens United Decision, Upholds State Ban - Law Blog - WSJ

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    There are ways to address this without expanding the most egregious Supreme Court decision since Dred Scott v. Sandford.

The first thing to understand is the difference between the natural person and the fictitious person called a corporation. They differ in the purpose for which they are created, in the strength which they possess, and in the restraints under which they act. Man is the handiwork of God and was placed upon earth to carry out a Divine purpose; the corporation is the handiwork of man and created to carry out a money-making policy. There is comparatively little difference in the strength of men; a corporation may be one hundred, one thousand, or even one million times stronger than the average man. Man acts under the restraints of conscience, and is influenced also by a belief in a future life. A corporation has no soul and cares nothing about the hereafter.
    —William Jennings Bryan, 1912 Ohio Constitutional Convention

4. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Why is it egregious for the Supreme Court to tell the government it does not have the power to ban books?

5. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I would respond to you, but you just proved in another thread you do not even know what analogy means, and I am too tired to educate you.

6. Valox

Valox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    You just proved that you don't understand hypocrisy....Oh....how, ironic. Plus, I acknowledged how silly your analogy was.

Plus, this is a state issue, not a federal issue.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    You prefaced the thread by questioning people's intelligence. So it is fair to ask; are you that simple minded?

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    It ceases being a state issue when it is found in violation of Constitutional law.

Sadly (in this case) it is.

It appears to me that that state law violates citizens' constitutional right to freedom of assembly, and citizens constitutional right to freedom of speech, too.

I approve of the motive behind the law, but I don't think it will pass constitutional muster.

9. Valox

Valox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    First off, we disagree with what a Constitutional law is. While I am a aberration and believe in individualism and self-determination of the American people and states, many disagree with me.

However, we live in a day of age of omniscient federal government and SCOTUS so you and your statist friend are correct.

10. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I did not question anyone's intelligence, I flat out stated that people who think politicians have their best interest at hear are idiots. Unless you are one of the idiots that believe that it doesn't apply to you.