Why the poor should be taxed more heavily.

I think a fair tax is the only option. I was quite surprised to learn that a whopping 40% of this country fall under the bar & pay no federal income tax what-so-ever. And that less than 1% of the population in this country pay 65% of the entire tax base. Yet--these same people (under the bar--want the rich to pay more???)

More than likely Obama voters--who continually want their way paid for by others.

A little dose of contributing to this country--may wake them up to reality--& get them to become more productive citizens themselves.

Not only do they fall under the bar - they receive tax refunds for money that was never paid in! The upper income brackets already subsidize the poor in this country, and liberals feel this subsidization is to be increased.

Thus, the poor receive "just enough" to scrape by, and the trap of near-poverty is in place. Liberals then come along during election time and warn these non taxpayers that the evil conservatives will take away their subsidies - or that these "wealthy" could actually afford to subsidize them even more but are too greedy to do so.

This nation makes it far to easy to remain "poor"...

The rich make their money of the labor of the poor, the poor don't make enough to live so we have welfare, hence, we are subsidizing the rich who refuse to pay their workers a living wage. The top 10% of this nation owns more wealth than the bottom 90% combined, they should be paying more than 90% of the taxes.

That would probably be the case if they didn't also own 90% of our elected officials.

Actually indentured servitude makes more sense. The way it is now you can just borrow a bunch of money, blow it on clothes and vacations, and then bankrupt and screw over the creditors. Then walk away scot free.

Scot free? Really?

Honest. And within months they are getting credit card offers and within years mortgage offers. And 8 years later they can go back and do it all over again.

You mean companies don't bother to look at their devastated credit ratings?

Yeah, right...I offered to go to India to keep my job, even at the $4.00 an hour they pay there. Here I made less than $9.00 an hour. Guess what the answer was? No, those jobs are for THEIR citizens. Ours is the only country in the world that doesn't protect the jobs of our citizens.

Lower wages ONLY benefit the wealthy. And when it costs a minimum of $700 a month to rent an apartment, people shouldn't have to be competing for wages with people who live in a place where it cost less than $30 a month for an apartment.

This isn't class envy, this is class warfare, and as in the gilded age, it was started, once again, by the wealthy. No country can long survive with the majority of it's wealth in the hands of a few.
Yeah, you were ready to pick up and move to India. That's believable. Not.
Lower wages have lowered the bills of the average family by thousands of dollars a year.
But even if what you say is true (and it isn't) there isn't another solution. You want to put in tariffs, you end up looking like E.Germany.

I think a fair tax is the only option. I was quite surprised to learn that a whopping 40% of this country fall under the bar & pay no federal income tax what-so-ever. And that less than 1% of the population in this country pay 65% of the entire tax base. Yet--these same people (under the bar--want the rich to pay more???)

More than likely Obama voters--who continually want their way paid for by others.

A little dose of contributing to this country--may wake them up to reality--& get them to become more productive citizens themselves.

Not only do they fall under the bar - they receive tax refunds for money that was never paid in! The upper income brackets already subsidize the poor in this country, and liberals feel this subsidization is to be increased.

Thus, the poor receive "just enough" to scrape by, and the trap of near-poverty is in place. Liberals then come along during election time and warn these non taxpayers that the evil conservatives will take away their subsidies - or that these "wealthy" could actually afford to subsidize them even more but are too greedy to do so.

This nation makes it far to easy to remain "poor"...

The rich make their money of the labor of the poor, the poor don't make enough to live so we have welfare, hence, we are subsidizing the rich who refuse to pay their workers a living wage. The top 10% of this nation owns more wealth than the bottom 90% combined, they should be paying more than 90% of the taxes.

How many jobs were you given by a poor person?

Scot free? Really?

Honest. And within months they are getting credit card offers and within years mortgage offers. And 8 years later they can go back and do it all over again.

You mean companies don't bother to look at their devastated credit ratings?
They're great prospects because they don't have any otehr debt. There are companies that specialize in exactly that kind of lending, in part for that reason and in part because htey know they can't file again for another 8 years.

Yeah, right...I offered to go to India to keep my job, even at the $4.00 an hour they pay there. Here I made less than $9.00 an hour. Guess what the answer was? No, those jobs are for THEIR citizens. Ours is the only country in the world that doesn't protect the jobs of our citizens.

Lower wages ONLY benefit the wealthy. And when it costs a minimum of $700 a month to rent an apartment, people shouldn't have to be competing for wages with people who live in a place where it cost less than $30 a month for an apartment.

This isn't class envy, this is class warfare, and as in the gilded age, it was started, once again, by the wealthy. No country can long survive with the majority of it's wealth in the hands of a few.
Lower wages have lowered the bills of the average family by thousands of dollars a year.
But even if what you say is true (and it isn't) there isn't another solution. You want to put in tariffs, you end up looking like E.Germany.

Keeping our jobs here is not putting in tariffs. We need FAIR trade not free trade.

And yes, I would have packed up and moved to India, I could live a heck of a lot better there on $4.00 an hour than I can here on $8.00 an hour. Believe me, I tried...

Lower wages have lowered bills? My bills sure as heck haven't lowered. Energy has near tripled in just a couple of years....We paid more than $500 for ONE MONTH of heat last winter. Our taxes were over $4,000 on hour house alone. Insurance has also gone up drastically. We finally quit paying our life insurance this year as we can no longer afford it. Food has near tripled also...thanks to energy prices.

You must be living in a whole different world.

Taxing poor people out of poverty is about as good an idea as making fat people lose weight.
Oh wait, that is a good idea.

Keeping our jobs here is not putting in tariffs. We need FAIR trade not free trade.

And yes, I would have packed up and moved to India, I could live a heck of a lot better there on $4.00 an hour than I can here on $8.00 an hour. Believe me, I tried...

Lower wages have lowered bills? My bills sure as heck haven't lowered. Energy has near tripled in just a couple of years....We paid more than $500 for ONE MONTH of heat last winter. Our taxes were over $4,000 on hour house alone. Insurance has also gone up drastically. We finally quit paying our life insurance this year as we can no longer afford it. Food has near tripled also...thanks to energy prices.

I'd love to hear how you define "fair trade."
The bills you mention have to do with gov't policy in every case.
Do you buy clothing? Do you buy kitchen utensils? Do you buy any manufactured item? If so thank free trade it doesn't cost 3 times as much.

All those jobs in social services, etc, at four or ten or twenty times what that poor person makes --- All of these people are P L O Ps : People Living Off the Poor!

Private sector jobs like Check into Cash, and so on...

Everyone that works at Walmart, anyone who works at a food Bank, anyone who works at a church, and so on.... The POOR are the reason many have jobs and make a good living!

I'd love to hear how you define "fair trade."
The bills you mention have to do with gov't policy in every case.
Do you buy clothing? Do you buy kitchen utensils? Do you buy any manufactured item? If so thank free trade it doesn't cost 3 times as much.

Most of my clothing, etc..I buy at the thrift stores.....I can survive a winter without new clothes, I can't survive without heat or food. Just because some items that aren't necessary went down in price...according to you...doesn't make free trade a good thing.

The poor, don't have money to spend on clothes and kitchen utensils...yet you want to tax them MORE? They can't afford heat... and you want to tax them more...

I share my home with two homeless young men...what do you do to help anybody? Have you ever been poor? No? I didn't think so.

Can you show me ANY study that proves your contention that lower wages have lowered the bills of the average family by $thousands? Or is that just your guess? Cause I'm living life and my bills sure as heck haven't gone down as wages have, nor have the apartment rents. What has gone down, recently is the price of my house, by $100,000. With any luck (though I doubt it) my property taxes will go down with that, but it would be the first time in 20 years that our property taxes had gone down.

All those jobs in social services, etc, at four or ten or twenty times what that poor person makes --- All of these people are P L O Ps : People Living Off the Poor!

Everyone that works at Walmart, anyone who works at a food Bank, anyone who works at a church, and so on.... The POOR are the reason many have jobs and make a good living!

Wow, and I thought communism was dead.
Why do you suppose those jobs exist? Because people need them. People need check cashing and fast loans. People need Wal Mart. If people didnt need those things then they would cease to exist.
And I didn't realize working at food banks paid so well. I'm in the wrong business.

Most of the people at our foodbank are volunteers. I volunteer to give out lunches at a church every Monday to the homeless. The community supper at the church is also staffed by volunteers....Next pathetic excuse?????

Can you show me ANY study that proves your contention that lower wages have lowered the bills of the average family by $thousands? Or is that just your guess? Cause I'm living life and my bills sure as heck haven't gone down as wages have, nor have the apartment rents. What has gone down, recently is the price of my house, by $100,000. With any luck (though I doubt it) my property taxes will go down with that, but it would be the first time in 20 years that our property taxes had gone down.
If I could you show you that lower wages have helped the average family would you agree I am right and shut the fuck up? Or would you carp that it doesn't apply, that the source is biased because you can't make a living?

If I could you show you that lower wages have helped the average family would you agree I am right and shut the fuck up? Or would you carp that it doesn't apply, that the source is biased because you can't make a living?

FYI, my husband is making a fairly good living right now so we are okay...and we are sharing what we have with others who aren't so okay.

I'm going to assume you can't show any such study that isn't biased or you wouldn't have asked that question in the first place.

Having resorted to bad language, I'm going to guess that I've won the argument as well.

FYI, my husband is making a fairly good living right now so we are okay...and we are sharing what we have with others who aren't so okay.

I'm going to assume you can't show any such study that isn't biased or you wouldn't have asked that question in the first place.

Having resorted to bad language, I'm going to guess that I've won the argument as well.

So you advocate charity - that is a good thing.

How much charity do poor people give vs people you would term as "wealthy"?

There is a study or two on that very issue - take some time to find it and get back to us.

You also indicate your husband makes a "fairly good living". What job does he do?

So you advocate charity - that is a good thing.

How much charity do poor people give vs people you would term as "wealthy"?

There is a study or two on that very issue - take some time to find it and get back to us.

You also indicate your husband makes a "fairly good living". What job does he do?

Percentage of incomewize, poor people give more. They also give more of their time.

My husband, not that it's any of your business, works for Boeing. Currently he is working very hard trying to fix all the mistakes on the 787 caused by outsourcing the work to so many different countries. Now that it's all coming back, nothing fits. My husband works in planning and now has to figure out how to make all those parts fit together. IMO, the CEOs responsible for that outsourcing should lose their jobs and be forced to pay the cost of fixing the 787s so that they will work. But of course you and I both know that the uber wealthy never pay for any of their mistakes.

More of your "free trade" at work. But heck, at least in this case, it's benefited me personally. Doesn't make me feel better for all my friends who were laid off at Boeing due to the outsourcing though.

I thoguht you were one step away from homeless the way you talked. I guess that wasn't so either.
From your response I take it that any study I provided you would find biased. Your definition of bias seems to be "doesn't agree with my preconceived notions".

Forum List

Back