Why the media focus on Asperger's Syndrome?

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
As somebody who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome it disturbs me to see the media focus on that as one of the possible reasons behind the CT school shooting. Not only that, but both people from the "compassionate right" and the "tolerant left" have pointed towards Asperger's as one of the ways in which the shooter was "mentally ill". I ask that people educate themselves before jumping to conclusions on why this tragedy took place. Crazy is crazy, and Asperger's Syndrome had nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

I agree. It's low to focus on the Asbergers. My step-son-to-be has Asbergers, and he is one of the most non-violent and caring persons I know.

And, imagine how this focus is affecting these super-sensitive children.

Fucking ignorant and irresponsible media.

As somebody who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome it disturbs me to see the media focus on that as one of the possible reasons behind the CT school shooting. Not only that, but both people from the "compassionate right" and the "tolerant left" have pointed towards Asperger's as one of the ways in which the shooter was "mentally ill". I ask that people educate themselves before jumping to conclusions on why this tragedy took place. Crazy is crazy, and Asperger's Syndrome had nothing to do with it.

it is a convenient excuse for a good deal of things.... and i am pretty sick of it.

behaving badly, is as far as i am concerned, one the the top reasons it is given as an excuse.... to give bad behavior a pass.

oh my child has aspergers.... you cant treat or say that to him... his behaving badly is not his fault.

Mental illness is not "made up" so that people can act badly. The fact of the matter is, that people with mental illness, are often not able to think; feel; or act in a manner we are accustomed to. It does not mean they should not be held accountable for their actions. It does mean that society needs a set of medical; legal; and social parameters in how to address mental illness so that society is safe from harm and those suffering are dealt with properly in a way that also, hopefully, helps them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWVaTX_OzBs]South Park S15E08 - Ass Burgers - My Buns! (Trailer) - YouTube[/ame]

it is a convenient excuse for a good deal of things.... and i am pretty sick of it.

behaving badly, is as far as i am concerned, one the the top reasons it is given as an excuse.... to give bad behavior a pass.

oh my child has aspergers.... you cant treat or say that to him... his behaving badly is not his fault.

it's a means of looking for answers for something horrible for which they probably are no answers. and since aspergers has a correlation with a lack of empathy and feeling for others, it is just something they're looking at.

should they NOT talk about it?

Mental illness is not "made up" so that people can act badly. The fact of the matter is, that people with mental illness, are often not able to think; feel; or act in a manner we are accustomed to. It does not mean they should not be held accountable for their actions. It does mean that society needs a set of medical; legal; and social parameters in how to address mental illness so that society is safe from harm and those suffering are dealt with properly in a way that also, hopefully, helps them.

did i say it was "made up".... i said it is used as excuse.

it's a means of looking for answers for something horrible for which they probably are no answers. and since aspergers has a correlation with a lack of empathy and feeling for others, it is just something they're looking at.

i agree.... 100%. Could it be a contributing factor.... possible. It should be interesting to see if they can recover anything from his distorted computer.

Using his "mental illness" as an excuse out for his murdering rampage.... is bullshit.

Clever girl.

This video explains Asbergers but you have to wade through a silly cartoon for a minute or so to get to the good stuff.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iq-VhfVwqp4#t=156s[/ame]

Last edited:

Because it OBVIOUSLY doesnt have shit to do with it, dumbass

My son has Aspergers syndrome. Because of that, his social skills are not what one would call "normal". He doesn't recognize personal space, he talks too loud and he obsesses on certain things. He is also extremely intelligent and one of the nicest people you will ever know. He comes to the church every Monday to put lunches together for the homeless. He spends time talking to them. The women of the church are singing his praises for his help. It's not even our church, it's my friend's church. While he refuses to see a play at our local theater, he will put on his best clothes and take tickets or hand out programs or whatever we need him to do and he is always considerate.

Because of his lack of people skills, he can't get a job. Most people don't even notice anything wrong with him, until they spend time with him.

My son was not interested in driving at 16. Now at 28, he is. He's about 10 years behind others his age, at least socially.

Aspergers Syndrome, BTW, has been removed from the DSM, it's now lumped in with autism and is considered high functioning autism. My son at 28 still can't place the names and faces of his aunts and uncles or most of his cousins. He has to be reminded of almost everything. I really wish people would read a little before making their uneducated responses and theories.

My son has Aspergers syndrome. Because of that, his social skills are not what one would call "normal". He doesn't recognize personal space, he talks too loud and he obsesses on certain things. He is also extremely intelligent and one of the nicest people you will ever know. He comes to the church every Monday to put lunches together for the homeless. He spends time talking to them. The women of the church are singing his praises for his help. It's not even our church, it's my friend's church. While he refuses to see a play at our local theater, he will put on his best clothes and take tickets or hand out programs or whatever we need him to do and he is always considerate.

Because of his lack of people skills, he can't get a job. Most people don't even notice anything wrong with him, until they spend time with him.

My son was not interested in driving at 16. Now at 28, he is. He's about 10 years behind others his age, at least socially.

Aspergers Syndrome, BTW, has been removed from the DSM, it's now lumped in with autism and is considered high functioning autism. My son at 28 still can't place the names and faces of his aunts and uncles or most of his cousins. He has to be reminded of almost everything. I really wish people would read a little before making their uneducated responses and theories.
As someone with such information of the condition... Are you suggesting that it didn't have anything to do with it? You can somehow make that statement based on... What exactly?

By all means... Make the argument that people don't understand the condition... I don't mind... But to create an argument that it likely didn't have anything to do with it is asinine.

This guy who killed children and some adults had a condition that gave him difficulties in social interactions and often has problems with empathy of others? No shit... Not exactly a leap on logic here. Does that mean that all people who have this condition are killers? No it does not.

Now I THINK, and HOPE, that you are trying to say that you don't like the stigma Asperger is getting because of this ordeal and you are TRYING to show that not all people with Asperger is like that. Not that it didn't have anything to do with it.

Forum List

Back