Why the left wing hates mormons and how to respond

I despise any religious cult, just because this one managed to outlive it's first cult leader and gain a semblance of respectability does not make it any less a cult. Respond to that.

You want a response to your opinion?

I dont really care how you classify religions. The word cult could technically apply to any religion or faith. But i take it you are using it as a pejorative. It loses all its meaning there. All it means is "A religion I don't like".

Which probably defines it fine for you.

As I said, the link is working fine for me now. I dont know if its working for anyone else.

Why the Left-Wing Hates Mormons and How to Respond

Thought it was an interesting argument and it would help take away from some of the old stories of today.

I live in Mesa, Arizona, a Mormon founded and heavily populated city. I hear more anti-Mormon crap from the right-wing conservatives, I work with, then any other group. They questioned why I bought a car from a Mormon owned dealership or why they put Mormon education centers near high schools and colleges. People even complain that public school teachers have to be Mormon to work in Mesa.

The posts in this thread indicate the opposite of your experience. And the article address your point:

The political left will no doubt mention that it is evangelicals, and certainly not they, that disdain Mormons, but this isn't true. According to Gallup, the Republican Party, the party of Evangelical Christians, saw a decrease in the numbers of Republicans saying they could not vote for a Mormon from 30% in 2007 to 18% in 2011, while among Democrats, the party of the secular left, that figure increased from 18% to 27% during that same time period.

Except, I live here with a Mormon temple, 3 education centers and about 15 Mormon churches within 10 miles of my front door. But, you keep reading your polls for the "facts".

I despise any religious cult, just because this one managed to outlive it's first cult leader and gain a semblance of respectability does not make it any less a cult. Respond to that.

what cult do you belong to

Not addressed to me but -

One's religious beliefs are very personal and private.

Why do people believe they can demand an answer to the question you asked?

Because YOU chose to belittle and damn other people's beliefs. Pretty simple concept.

Except, I live here with a Mormon temple, 3 education centers and about 15 Mormon churches within 10 miles of my front door. But, you keep reading your polls for the "facts".

Im skeptical of polls in general, but I am confident that it is more accurate on the national mood than is someone living in Mesa Arizona experiencing it's own dynamic.

You want a response to your opinion?

I dont really care how you classify religions. The word cult could technically apply to any religion or faith. But i take it you are using it as a pejorative. It loses all its meaning there. All it means is "A religion I don't like".

Which probably defines it fine for you.

As I said, the link is working fine for me now. I dont know if its working for anyone else.

I read it, didn't really reveal any secrets to how to respond to anything other than the same old shit. Using the information contained in your link, tell me why my mistrust of Mormon mysticism and secular expansion is misplaced.

Im skeptical of polls in general, but I am confident that it is more accurate on the national mood than is someone living in Mesa Arizona experiencing it's own dynamic.

So my experiences living in a majority Mormon city of 500,000 is less valid then people living in an area with zero Mormons?

So my experiences living in a majority Mormon city of 500,000 is less valid then people living in an area with zero Mormons?

No. Im saying your experience in an isolated community probably isn't a good indication of sentiment nation wide. Just of your community.

I'm about as left wing as anyone I know, and I don't hate Mormons at all. Most of my friends, and all of my family are very left wing as well. None of them hate Mormons either.

I'm about as left wing as anyone I know, and I don't hate Mormons at all. Most of my friends, and all of my family are very left wing as well. None of them hate Mormons either.

Im glad to hear that.

I try very hard to judge people on their individual merits, rather than by the groups they're associated with - but even so, every Mormon I've ever met has been kind, generous, and incredibly polite.

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would "hate" Mormons.

Im glad to hear that.

I try very hard to judge people on their individual merits, rather than by the groups they're associated with - but even so, every Mormon I've ever met has been kind, generous, and incredibly polite.

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would "hate" Mormons.

Nor can I. But then I can't understand why anyone would hate any person. It's just way too much effort for what? Feeling negatively about someone? It doesnt solve anything

No one hates the Mormons more than r-wing Evangelists, Baptists, and Protestants.

Last edited:
Used to think Mormons were silly, they reminded me of Scientologists (though it's more the other way around, chronologically speaking). Especially the part of Jesus' rebirth in the US; saw a picture of it in a book of Mormon in a hotel once and just couldn't stop laughing. But really when you think about it it's not much sillier than walks on water, magic teleportation between cities, or partings of the seas. But hey, I of course encourage everybody to knock themselves out and believe whatever they want.

Forum List

Back