Why the Left despises Religion

nakedemperor said:
Giving guidelines from practicing slavery seems to me like its condoning it; in one passage God says to 'treat your slaves humanely' and it another that you can only have them for seven years.

God approves of 7 years of servitude? Heh. That's definitely an opinion.

See here - I hate repeating myself! :)

The use of religion in reaching political ends is a thing to be despised by all. True believers are not concerned with such pettiness. They live the word of their faith, be it CHristianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism, or any other religious/philosophical tradition they follow. It's the wolf in lamb's skin that gives the lamb a bad name.

nakedemperor said:
Giving guidelines from practicing slavery seems to me like its condoning it; in one passage God says to 'treat your slaves humanely' and it another that you can only have them for seven years.

God approves of 7 years of servitude? Heh. That's definitely an opinion.

Slavery is not extant today because of a change in men, not in God. It is/was always wrong according to our twenty-first century sensibilities. But what would an Isrealite of Moses time say of partial birth abortion?

There were many that came to this nation as indentured servants.

In Biblical days, 7 years of servitude was considered enough time to pay back a debt owed. Just as we (Equifax, others) forgive bad debts after 7 years today.

The problem is that MAN perverted the situation and enslaved people for life. That is not what God meant when he discusses slavery in the Bible.

freeandfun1 said:
There were many that came to this nation as indentured servants.

In Biblical days, 7 years of servitude was considered enough time to pay back a debt owed. Just as we (Equifax, others) forgive bad debts after 7 years today.

The problem is that MAN perverted the situation and enslaved people for life. That is not what God meant when he discusses slavery in the Bible.

Wait wait, in Jeff's post he didn't mention anything about "if someone's in debt to you you can enslave someone for 7 years"; all I read was, "you can enslave someone for seven years". More important "enslavement" is permitted under any circumstance.

Yeah, man went WAY too far with the general application of slavery. Which God condones. Heh.

nakedemperor said:
Right-o! Forgot about that post. But conclusion remains the same, even in the New Testament, slavery is allowed. By God. Who is infallible. :cuckoo:

As I said God is infallible it is man that can't find his way out of a paper bag.I then reiterate God never changes, man's ability to recognize Him does.

Bullypulpit said:
The use of religion in reaching political ends is a thing to be despised by all. True believers are not concerned with such pettiness. They live the word of their faith, be it CHristianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism, or any other religious/philosophical tradition they follow. It's the wolf in lamb's skin that gives the lamb a bad name.

Well said, Bullypulpit. Render under Caesar what is Caesar's and God what is God's. While the genuine expression of religious conviction spilling over into political choice is natural, these days its becoming that politics is seeing religion as a weapon to be used, and in doing so distorting it and creating false prophets, which I think God would disapprove of.

ciplexian said:
Well said, Bullypulpit. Render under Caesar what is Caesar's and God what is God's. While the genuine expression of religious conviction spilling over into political choice is natural, these days its becoming that politics is seeing religion as a weapon to be used, and in doing so distorting it and creating false prophets, which I think God would disapprove of.

Gotta agree wholeheartedly.........and there are many false prophets around today as there always have been.

I'm not a lib.

But I do have problem with organized religion and its leadership forcing everyone, by lobbying, and getting laws passed, to abide by their beliefs or be called a criminal.

Thing is the constitution of the United States was set up so the very things that are happening now wouldn't happen here. Big Brother is controlling and snooping into every part of our lives, and people are allowing it. If you trace it back to where most of those intrusive laws come from, it's the religious fanatics.

Without organized religion I set my own moral compass and it passes their inspection I think but when I have an opinion that goes against the brain washing and man made laws, well then I make no sense. Uh huh. Like calling Christians down to what Jesus said, well to some, that makes no sense. So it's fine to trespass into the comfort zone of what I believe about religion and government, but it's not fine for me or others who aren't puppets to voice a different idea. Gawd bless freedom of speech! LMAO

Thornton said:
I'm not a lib.

Big Brother is controlling and snooping into every part of our lives, and people are allowing it. If you trace it back to where most of those intrusive laws come from, it's the religious fanatics.

Name some laws and their fanatic sponsors?????

Thornton said:
I'm not a lib.

Bullshit, That seems to be a common thread today to first deny your left leaning before launching into a tirade on any traditional values

But I do have problem with organized religion and its leadership forcing everyone, by lobbying, and getting laws passed, to abide by their beliefs or be called a criminal.

See, what did I tell you!

Thing is the constitution of the United States was set up so the very things that are happening now wouldn't happen here. Big Brother is controlling and snooping into every part of our lives, and people are allowing it. If you trace it back to where most of those intrusive laws come from, it's the religious fanatics.

Big Brother is Orwellian doublespeak for tyranny. The Constitiution guarentees no state religion, ( see Iran),among other things. It protects your right to be stupid. I want my right to be stupid also. I already have a mom. That is not what I expect from Government.
But I digress; the people allowing "it" are ignorant of what it is they have. The powers that be have succeeded in convincing a large number of really dumb people that the church and boy scouts are the bad guys.

Without organized religion I set my own moral compass and it passes their inspection I think but when I have an opinion that goes against the brain washing and man made laws, well then I make no sense. Uh huh. Like calling Christians down to what Jesus said, well to some, that makes no sense. So it's fine to trespass into the comfort zone of what I believe about religion and government, but it's not fine for me or others who aren't puppets to voice a different idea. Gawd bless freedom of speech! LMAO

I'm sure that Jeffrey Daumer and GW Gacy and Adophus Hitler all set their own "moral compass" too. Without let's say examples of what morality is the number of excesses today in the name of "diversity",( 10 year olds arrested for carrying scissors, yet parents not allowed to eavesdrop on the conversation of minors... all in one glorious week!) is mind numbing.

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]I'm sure that Jeffrey Daumer and GW Gacy and Adophus Hitler all set their own "moral compass" too. Without let's say examples of what morality is the number of excesses today in the name of "diversity",( 10 year olds arrested for carrying scissors, yet parents not allowed to eavesdrop on the conversation of minors... all in one glorious week!) is mind numbing.[/QUOTE]

It's because we have lost our moral compass and we are now approaching a chaotic society in dissaray which everything is becoming backwards instead of fowards as "progressives" suggest. There is no standard for right and wrong anymore because we are more concerned with offending and the stygma of judging anyone and anything as wrong. No one wants to hear their lack of morality challenged.

Forum List

Back