Why the internet is good

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
Being mightily cheesed off with bullshit media stories about the evils of the internet (well I would say that, wouldn't I?) it's nice to find a positive story.

No doubt this sort of thing is happening elsewhere in the world but it's still a positive read.

ON A ground-floor room in a tower on the Collingwood high-rise estate, tenants sit in a computer training room enjoying the type of play the internet allows. Jeff, 47, is working on his profile on MySpace; Tuan is scanning CNN for news about his native Vietnam; Antoinette is checking out a dating site and Despina, who says she loves emailing her relatives in Israel, Cyprus and Greece, is enjoying a game of solitaire.

Collingwood is the second high-rise estate to be wired up by the non-profit company Infoxchange, with its motto "Technology for social justice". Tenants have been offered a free refurbished PC, a free three-day computer course, and access to email and broadband for $5 to $15 a month, depending on downloads.

Infoxchange was founded by former social worker Andrew Mahar. In 2001, the Melbourne-based non-profit company connected Fitzroy's high-rise Atherton Gardens estate to broadband and distributed 621 refurbished computers to tenants, the first project of its kind in Australia.

More at link - Tenant internet connects broader band of people - Technology - theage.com.au

People will always find things wrong when a new form of communication arises, mostly because they refuse to take the fault of bad parenting or poor life choices. Radio even had that problem when it first became popular.

The internet has opened us up to communications possibilities that had been thought of as sci-fi for the longest time, and now we are living it. It's the best tool we have had available since the invention of the wheel.

The internet reflects the society which spawns it.

It is as good or as bad as they players who create it and who haunt it.

boo!

I am thankful for the internet, because without it I would have never met my fiancee. I've told this story before, but I just got hooked up to the internet at my home in June 2006, met my fiancee on a message board (believe it or not!) in July 2006...been together ever since! There is NO WAY we would have ever met without it, just saying.................:cool:

i think that without internet we cant imagine our life since it is the best medium through which the people of all over the world share their thought with each other.
138l1103.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back