Why the hell have I been using IE for so long???

couldnt take all the updates from firefox .
Chrome updates without letting you know about it.

FF updates in the open, letting you choose if you want the update or not.

Interesting fact: Because Firefox has fewer and less severe publicly known unpatched security vulnerabilities than Internet Explorer (see Comparison of web browsers), improved security is often cited as a reason to switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox.[82][83][84][85] The Washington Post reports that exploit code for critical unpatched security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer was available for 284 days in 2006. In comparison, exploit code for critical security vulnerabilities in Firefox was available for 9 days before Mozilla shipped a patch to remedy the problem.[86]

Thusly, the advantage of constant updates.
and i like to have the OPTION of taking the upgrade or not
It never ceases to amaze me how people can trust a browser from a company that's all about tracking, adware, and delivering ads. A google browser? Yeah, no thanks.

Mac should make Firefox its default browser.

I have Safari, only use it to check how my websites look on it. It's far inferior to FF and doesn't belong on a Mac.

I use Firefox on my desktop and on my Mac sometimes. Firefox has always been good as long as I've been using it. I haven't used IE in a long time now.

Interesting fact: Because Firefox has fewer and less severe publicly known unpatched security vulnerabilities than Internet Explorer (see Comparison of web browsers), improved security is often cited as a reason to switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox.[82][83][84][85] The Washington Post reports that exploit code for critical unpatched security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer was available for 284 days in 2006. In comparison, exploit code for critical security vulnerabilities in Firefox was available for 9 days before Mozilla shipped a patch to remedy the problem.[86]

and i like to have the OPTION of taking the upgrade or not
It never ceases to amaze me how people can trust a browser from a company that's all about tracking, adware, and delivering ads. A google browser? Yeah, no thanks.
and they actually have an OS in the works

I quite FF after losing my book marks for the thrid time doing updates and not being able to recover them.
Im glad you are happy with it.
I spent weeks on the trouble shooting site and realized I didnt want my browser to be a hobby.

I quite FF after losing my book marks for the thrid time doing updates and not being able to recover them.
I spent weeks on the trouble shooting site and realized I didnt want my browser to be a hobby.
you should install the add-on "Xmarks"

I've been using Firefox for years. First two add-ons I,ve always used are WOT and Foxyproxy. The only issue I ever had was the XP Antivirus virus attempted to load itself even though WOT told me the site was dangerous and I tried to close the page. Luckly I alt-cntr-deleted and stopped the browser before it was completely successful. My anti virus program removed what did get loaded so no damage done.
BTW the OS I was using at the time was Win 2000, haven't had any problems since moving to Ubuntu.

I've never had that problem. Check you preferences in properties, you might have it set wrong for updates.

KK or Midnight, could you guys give me some suggestions on the most important add-ons I should use? I haven't done that part yet. Just using the default installation right now.

I might try Ubuntu today for shits and giggles. How does that work along with still keeping Windows? Can I totally shut down windows from doing anything unless I want to access it at some point? And what gets used for firewall with Ubuntu? Does it have one of its own?

KK or Midnight, could you guys give me some suggestions on the most important add-ons I should use? I haven't done that part yet. Just using the default installation right now.

I might try Ubuntu today for shits and giggles. How does that work along with still keeping Windows? Can I totally shut down windows from doing anything unless I want to access it at some point? And what gets used for firewall with Ubuntu? Does it have one of its own?

Paulie,
First add WOT and Foxyproxy to Firefox. WOT is great because it will tell you if you are being redirected or if the site is an attack site. When you do a seach it also shows (via colored circles) next to each header if a site is safe or not, green is good, red is not.
Foxyproxy just makes Firefox better.
If you want greater protection add No-Script but initially you will be setting paremeters with every site you visit.
You can load Ubuntu like you would any application in windows. when you insert the disc it gives you the option. That way you can try it out and if you don't like it you just uninstall it from the control panel (add/remove programs).

Paulie,
First add WOT and Foxyproxy to Firefox. WOT is great because it will tell you if you are being redirected or if the site is an attack site. When you do a seach it also shows (via colored circles) next to each header if a site is safe or not, green is good, red is not.
Foxyproxy just makes Firefox better.
If you want greater protection add No-Script but initially you will be setting paremeters with every site you visit.
You can load Ubuntu like you would any application in windows. when you insert the disc it gives you the option. That way you can try it out and if you don't like it you just uninstall it from the control panel (add/remove programs).

Thanks, just added both of those.

AdBlock Plus with the EasyList USA filter is a must. You'll never see any ads of any type again. And no scripts will run which are ad-generated.

Cooliris is a great toy. It will change the way you view images and videos forever.

TV-Fox -- make your computer into a world TV. Get thousands of free TV channels from all over the world.

CoolPreviews -- preview any links without needing another tab and without clicking. Invaluable.

Ghostery -- Identifies and allows you to block 3rd parties that are hidden in the current page you're visiting. This includes ad networks, behavioral data and web analytics providers.

I don't recommend NoScript. You don't need it if you have Adblock and Ghostery.

There are also many, many templates. I like "Night Launch."
Ubuntu is a separate OS. Completely independent of windows. When installed, you will get to choose between booting to it or windows every time you boot up your computer. The one you don't boot to will be completely inert. You can also set it to give you the capability of dual boot.

AdBlock Plus with the EasyList USA filter is a must. You'll never see any ads of any type again. And no scripts will run which are ad-generated.

Cooliris is a great toy. It will change the way you view images and videos forever.

TV-Fox -- make your computer into a world TV. Get thousands of free TV channels from all over the world.

CoolPreviews -- preview any links without needing another tab and without clicking. Invaluable.

Ghostery -- Identifies and allows you to block 3rd parties that are hidden in the current page you're visiting. This includes ad networks, behavioral data and web analytics providers.

Ubuntu is a separate OS. Completely independent of windows. When installed, you will get to choose between booting to it or windows every time you boot up your computer. The one you don't boot to will be completely inert. You can also set it to give you the capability of dual boot.

I'll have to try AdBlock Plus, Ghostery and Easylist, I don't really like messing with NoScript.
Thanks

I'll have to try AdBlock Plus, Ghostery and Easylist, I don't really like messing with NoScript.
Thanks
If you have Adblock and Ghostery then NoScript is superfluous.

Easylist is one of the filter subscriptions available for AdBlock. AdBlock will not work at all without a filter.

I've used Firefox off and on, here and there, but today I decided to give it my undivided attention.

Holy shit, this program is superior to IE in like every way!

I'll never open IE again.

It's those damn illegal aliens from Mexico that are to blame.

dont forget Xmarks, stores your bookmarks online and safe
that way you can access them from ANY computer and always have them up to date

I use NoScript for my script blocking, it's quick and easy and blocks only the stuff that could be dangerous. It blocks all scripting from a site unless you allow it. I also use DownloadHelper, but that's for downloading FLV videos from places like Youtube for when I need some stock clips for music vids. Thanks to Ubuntu though I don't bother with any look and feel, it looks and feels exactly like my OS settings.

Forum List

Back