Why the hell am I so nostalgic?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Anybody else hopelessly sentimental to the point where 1 or 2 nights a week is dedicated to listening to old songs and yearning for the past?

Blue Grass? Celtic? Pre 70s Country? Oldies Rock? 80s Rock? Classical? Big Band? Blues? Jazz?

Yes.

Anybody else hopelessly sentimental to the point where 1 or 2 nights a week is dedicated to listening to old songs and yearning for the past?

Old? What is old to you? In my case that would be 50's and 60's and 70's rock and roll. Though I do like pop stuff from the mid and later 80's too.

I can be a bit more specific. Bit before my time but just recently I've really gotten into Artie Shaw and by that I mean in his big band form. I used to listen to his Gramercy Five because a friend of mine when I was in my teens and at high school had a father who was a jazz fan (introduced me to Dave Brubeck, I did the rest myself) but lately I've discovered his big band form. Great, great music and althought he was at his peak a few years before I was born, I really do enjoy listening to it.

I like listening to 60s and early 70s as well, they were the important years in contemporary music for me.

I think we get nostalgic as we get older and the world becomes more difficult to understand.

Not me. I get less and less nostalgic as time goes by, and oddly, less and less musical. I played flute and piano for years, sang in the choir in school and in church as child and adult...sister plays guitar and flute and is choir director....

I still love the singing but as far as listening to music, I'm just not generally into it anymore. It drives my sister nuts and she thinks I'm abusing my children by not playing "Baby Beluga" continually in the car as we travel, or exposing them to the Beach Boys. I always hated the Beach Boys, anyway.

I used to be.. Found out there ain't no point in wanting what's gone. Might as well get over it and move on. There'll be more shit to pine over down the road. :)

I get like that when hearing some old school metal on the radio. none of that woodstock 99 shit. Back when Metal scared your parents and geraldo was out scaring people with satan worshipping, child sacrifice and repressed memories.

slayer.jpg

43359664_0dc3272a2e.jpg

4a249357-7f77-43fa-aba0-454cd8d5c706.jpg

And the wonderment of the treasures that might be found in Capone's secret vault.....
And whether or not his nose would ever be the same after getting bashed with a chair by a white supremecist.....

ahh geraldo.. the mustache that tried to defy a flying chair.

Can you fathom how many parents were freaked out by the first 0 seconds of Slayer's breakthrough song, Hell Awaits?

join us, join us, join us...

those were the days.

ahh geraldo.. the mustache that tried to defy a flying chair.

Can you fathom how many parents were freaked out by the first 0 seconds of Slayer's breakthrough song, Hell Awaits?

join us, join us, join us...

those were the days.

Weren't you in diapers when that came out?

Cliff Burton, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet, and Lars Ulrich.. Cliff Burton died in a bus accident back in the mid-80's, and was replaced by Jason Newstead.. Other members are all still the same..

Metallica in concert was out of this world. I saw them in 92? I think?

Unreal. Until somebody threw a boot and hit one of them in the head and they got all poed and threatened to walk off the stage. They didn't, though, and it was great.

My gf got heat stroke, though. What a pansy.

Metallica in concert was out of this world. I saw them in 92? I think?

Unreal. Until somebody threw a boot and hit one of them in the head and they got all poed and threatened to walk off the stage. They didn't, though, and it was great.

My gf got heat stroke, though. What a pansy.

You saw them when they were *old*.. I saw them in 1984, when they were in their prime, and before they sold out. :)

Forum List

Back