Why the hate?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Steelplate, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    One thing I don't understand about the atheists on the board... Why the hate towards people of faith?

To the Christians, I ask this... why the hate towards people who aren't Christian?

We all have to find our path through this life. Those of us with faith believe there is something after our worldly life ends. Those without do not.

It's really very simple. Live and let live... that goes for all of us. If we would all abandon the "black and white/wrong and right" attitudes, our world would be a much better place.

Just the need to judge one another shows our immaturity.

I'm starting to research Gnostic Christianity. I don't think it'll change my beliefs, but so far, it seems as though Christianity before Rome took the religion over was quite different than it is now. Of course Gnostics were considered Heretics by the Orthodox Christians of Rome and were persecuted and many were killed off.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    I do not hate much of anything and I certainly do not hate people.

However, there are movements I do not like and could possibly come to hate if I do not already. I do not hate any one religion in and of it's own, but rather there is the potential that I hate some men's application of certain religions.

Gnostism is a very ineresting sight. :) I hope you enjoy that.

3. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    What movements are you talking about? Man's application of their religion is always an issue.

As far as Gnostic Christianity, I'm very early in the process. I got on their website just yesterday for the first time. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, so it may be a little while before I even have an opinion on it. But at first glance, it seems that the religion is more of a spiritual journey kind of thing... it preaches non-judgmentalism, understanding and love, which I really like. But, I like to take a critical look at these things, rather than just jump into stuff.

4. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    If there is an atheist here that hates religion, there is almost a 100% chance they are absolutely justified.

Trust me, whatever hate you experience from an atheist here, they get it a thousand fold in real life.

5. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    I hate religion simply because it is bullshit. One does not have to be "nice" in the name of anything. One can be good as a personal choice. What many religious people do not understand is that to a rational person lying or perpetuating a lie is offensive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI1keSSwdcI]Indigo Girls - Galileo - YouTube[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. deserter

deserter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I believe when some people ignore religion they ignore part of their lives. for I also believe that live has both material and spiritual aspect.

7. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Oh, believe me... I understand fully. Look at it from a psychological perspective then.... what good does hate do? It gives those you hate power over you.... it festers in you.

Anger is one thing... hate is another. Anger is an emotion we all have. Hate is something different than anger. Hate is more systematic than anger and is an immature display.

It would be like someone saying... a black person mugged me once, therefore I hate black people. or... a christian told me once that I am going to hell... so I hate all Christians.

Lastly, to the poster who hates religion because they think it's a lie.... So what? What is it hurting you? Do you not live the life you choose, even though those people believe what you consider to be a lie?

Once again... I know that there are a lot of Christians and folk from other religions that want to cram it down your throat and try to make you conform....I am not denying that. What I am saying is that we all need to take a step back and stop judging others for their beliefs or lack thereof.

That's what the goal of a free society should be. I have the right to believe, you have the right not to.

8. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    Good thread. Putting it simply, I think some Christians truly believe they need to try to save the lives of others through Christ. Quick fix: don't open your door in the first place.

I think Atheists have the reverse situation - they want to completely destroy any mention or symbolism of faith for everybody.

There is nothing wrong with having faith in something or someone. I don't believe in predestination because it seems like a complete slam against everything religion teaches us. We have free will to make choices in our life and those choices make our destiny. I think Atheism is built pretty much on the "if it feels good, do it" theory. Christianity puts "taboos" on certain behaviors, etc. and Atheist don't want to feel "guilty" of bad conduct. Then, on the other hand, there are those who profess to be Christians but are not.

The two should be able to co-exist. I was raised in Christianity, but I never go to church. I do, however, believe in the existence of God. My next door neighbor is a preacher and he has yet to try to force his religion down my throat. He's just as nice as he can be, but he's never said a word to me about the Buddhas on my deck. Do I worship Buddha? No. I just happen to like Oriental stuff. For me, the tenets of Judaism have been in the back of my head ... it makes sense to me.

It sort of amazes me that all this rhetoric about equality, peace, sharing the wealth and other ideals demands the total exclusion of and destruction of any kind of religious thoughts or icons or symbolism.

9. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Research This:

1) The church required infant baptism for a thousand years. After people began to doubt that a loving god would burn an infant in eternal hell and protested...the church stopped requiring it. The scripture is still there

2) The church hunted down, tortured and killed young women who had been accused of witchcraft for thousands of years. When ordinary people reali ed that there is no such thing as witchcraft the church stopped mentioning it. The scripture is still there.

3) The church tolerated and often accomodated slavery for thousands of years but when the "Free Man" concept began they shut up. The scripture is still there.

4) The church required the submission of women and kept them pregnant and at home for thousands of years but after the various women's movements demanded equality the church stopped mentioning it. The scripture is still there.

5) After preaching hundreds of billions of hell fire and damnation sermons across thousands of years when the public began to reject the eternal flames concept guess what....the church began to say it was all a misunderstanding and translation problem so we now have a flame free hell. The scripture is still there.

6) The church has condemned homosexuality and been responsible for the torture and killing of enormous numbers of human's who were born a certain way and had to either hide their lifestyle or falsely reject it. This has continued since the gospel was first preached but now modern lifestyles have even accomodated membership for many homosexuals. The scripture is still there.

Religion is a man's game written by their own interests and and anyone who fails to see the truth in the conceived image of primitive mankind and the similarities to their conceived god which reflects their own weakness has either been brainwashed.....is very ill informed or naive.

All religions are loaded with major bullschit but none so pregnant with it as the prophesied concept of Jesus and the eighteen months or two years of his ministry.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. nitroz

nitroz INDEPENDENTly ruthless

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I hate all people the same.

It's their decisions and motives that I hate even more.