Why the GOP should continue to oppose gay marriage

chrismac

Dec 19, 2008
I know there's been talk on the Right about how they should moderate their social agenda, and they should, well, I don't know. It seems like the same people who know what Republicans shouldn't be doing...really don't have any other advice for them.

At any rate, I think the GOP should continue to oppose gay marriage, despite what McCain's campaign adviser said, or anyone else. Thirty states have voted against gay marriage, including the most liberal state in the union: California. Not only that, but only four states actually marry same-sex couples.

I know there has been a lot of gay marriage/civil union legislation in the past month that gives people the impression that the country has "shifted" on this issue. But, I hasten to remind people that a) none of these decisions were based on public vote, b) they occurred in liberal/swing states, and c) the liberal media keeps pushing this inevitability narrative.

I don't think gay marriage is inevitable. At best, it's just going to be left up to the states to decide, as libertarian as that sounds. People love to compare gay marriage to interracial marriage in the 1960s. In 1967, before the Loving v. Virginia decision, thirty-five states didn't have anti-miscegenation laws, which means interracial was effectively legal. Of those 35 states, only one (CA, coincidentally), had overturned their anti-miscegenation law by the courts. Not only that, but these were criminal statutes, which I think we can all agree is more serious than something just not being of the law.

Gay marriage supporters keep saying it's going to happen eventually, whether we like it or not. Based on what? The courts just forcing us to accept it? Maybe. But that would actually be unprecedented. Almost two-thirds of the states have voted against it, all within the past ten years. People who say that aren't confident, though. That's why they're afraid for gay marriage to go to the Supreme Court; they fear they wont find a constitutional right to gay marriage, and then it will be harder to institute it anywhere.

Lastly, and this is something I wish I heard more of, the Democrats risk alienating their base more than the Republicans do with the gay marriage issue. Millions of Democrats have voted against gay marriage. Look at the aforementioned CA, Even Florida, who went D this past election, voted against gay marriage by 60%>. And it's the Republicans who need to let this issue go? Don't listen to the liberal mainstream media, GOP. This country is against gay marriage, and if you want to get in good with them, you need to show yourselves as relevant. The party line remaining against gay marriage is one way to do that.

Forum List

Back