Why the GOP is/was racist: GOP's Southern Strategy

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
From the mouth of Lee Atwater:

[edit] Atwater on the Southern Strategy
As a member of the Reagan administration in 1981, Atwater gave an anonymous interview to Political Scientist Alexander P. Lamis. Part of this interview was printed in Lamis' book The Two-Party South, then reprinted in Southern Politics in the 1990s with Atwater's name revealed. Bob Herbert reported on the interview in the October 6, 2005 edition of the New York Times. Atwater talked about the GOP's Southern Strategy and Ronald Reagan's version of it:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he’s campaigned on since 1964… and that’s fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner:
But the fact is, isn’t it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps...?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can't say “******”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.
And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “******, ******.”[7]

Just so youse knows...

'Boogie Man' Lee Atwater: Truly Scary
[By Neely Tucker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 26, 2008; Page C01

In the can't-look-away documentary "Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story," the career of the wildly successful, and wildly controversial, late Republican political operative comes back to us in ways that are funny, sad and mean. There is more than one moment in this film that will likely pop your jaw open.

Consider then-Secretary of State James A. Baker eulogizing Atwater at his 1991 funeral as "Machiavellian . . . in the very best sense of that term." (My dictionary defines the term as "characterized by unscrupulous cunning, deception, expediency or dishonesty.") There's Ed Rollins, the veteran Republican campaign manager, describing how Atwater went from protege to backstabber in such outrageous fashion that Rollins profanely threatened to beat him up. And then there's one of Atwater's musician buddies, a white guy, insisting that Atwater had so much soul that he was actually a "black person in a white body."

The last is particularly jolting, since we also see Howard University students staging a massive (and successful) protest to have Atwater, a veteran race-baiter, kicked off the university's board of trustees.

Poor Lee, a racist denier till the very end.

"In 1988, fighting Dukakis, I said that I 'would strip the bark off the little bastard' and 'make Willie Horton his running mate,' " Mr. Atwater said in the Life article.

"I am sorry for both statements: the first for its naked cruelty, the second because it makes me sound racist, which I am not."
- WAPO Obit

And now we have a black president voted in by an overhwelming majority of blacks and a minority of whites. He has a racist black attorney general and nominates a racist Hispanic woman for the Supreme Court, has a white-hating black wife, went to a black supremacist church, tells Muslims he's on their side, drops charges against Black Panthers, sets up the White House "Office of Urban Affairs" and...

But of course, there's nothing "racist" about that, eh?

In "Boogie Man", much was made of Atwater's conversion to Catholicism and making amends, as he was dying.
At the end of the film, it's revealed that his Bible was still wrapped in cellophane when he died.

That is the best you can do is charge rascism on something so damn thin as that? MY God that is so laughable it's not even funny.

From the mouth of Lee Atwater:

[edit] Atwater on the Southern Strategy
As a member of the Reagan administration in 1981, Atwater gave an anonymous interview to Political Scientist Alexander P. Lamis. Part of this interview was printed in Lamis' book The Two-Party South, then reprinted in Southern Politics in the 1990s with Atwater's name revealed. Bob Herbert reported on the interview in the October 6, 2005 edition of the New York Times. Atwater talked about the GOP's Southern Strategy and Ronald Reagan's version of it:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he’s campaigned on since 1964… and that’s fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner:
But the fact is, isn’t it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps...?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can't say “******”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.
And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “******, ******.”[7]

Which political party started a civil war to end slavery in the USA? Lincoln was a republican wasn't he?

The dems wanted to keep their slaves in the south and tried to separate from the USA to keep their slaves.

so i guess if you want to cherry pick moments in history you could say the democratic party is/was the racist party.

I mean Robert Byrd, a dem, was a member of the kkk for many years and dems keep voting him in office.....that says something right there.

Fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster = Racist

White folks greed runs a world in need, typical white behavior, garlic nose, wise Latina = Not Racist

Any Question?

Which political party started a civil war to end slavery in the USA? Lincoln was a republican wasn't he?

The Civil War was fought to save and preserve the Union, not to end slavery, get your facts straight, you and some gullible Negroes always repeat this lie.

The dems wanted to keep their slaves in the south and tried to separate from the USA to keep their slaves.

The Republican Lincoln did whatever it took to preserve the Union and even stated so, it had nothing to do with being kind to blacks, do a history check. The thing is, which political party in the present as in now is less appealing to minorities and has become a political party hellbent of preserving white male privilege?

I mean Robert Byrd, a dem, was a member of the kkk for many years and dems keep voting him in office.....that says something right there.

Which political party did David Duke belong to when he was elected, despite the fact that everyone knew he was still a Klansman?

And now we have a black president voted in by an overhwelming majority of blacks and a minority of whites. He has a racist black attorney general and nominates a racist Hispanic woman for the Supreme Court, has a white-hating black wife, went to a black supremacist church, tells Muslims he's on their side, drops charges against Black Panthers, sets up the White House "Office of Urban Affairs" and...

But of course, there's nothing "racist" about that, eh?

All lies a propaganda, you crackers don't like the fact that a black man is leader of the world's most powerful country. Obama will always have to do things in a manner not to piss off white folk because of his color, white presidents don't have this burden. Obama can't do things like , go to a black church because paranoid whites like you take that as a sign that he's being pro-black, when white presidents attended predominately white churchs they're not faced with this burden its seen as being normal. As for the Black Pnathers, one can make a case that the FBI should be charged for falsely accusing and fabricating evidence against the Black Panthers as well as for the murders of Fred hampton and Mark Clark whom they killed and lied about to try to cover up.

Basically, if anyone is not ding anything to preserve and placate white male privilege in America you crackers consider the person a racist and threat[they're not racist] yet ignore and deny that the way whites and especially white males have been treated for hundreds of years in America is either not racist or you try to downplay it.

Forum List

Back