Why the fuck is Joe Namath in the Hall of Fame with numbers like this

One thing to consider is that Namath played a chunk of his career in the much weaker AFL. Back in the day, they routinely got whipped by the NFL teams. In fact, Namath's most famous game, Super Bowl III, was the first time an AFL team won the Super Bowl and it was simply a feat that was unbelievable at the time. It went down as one of the greatest upsets in American sports history. This is where the term "Super Bowl" was born. Before that, it was simply the AFL/NFL Championship game.

I think when people are considered for Hall of Fame, it has to be based on much more than W-L record. Or any other stand-alone statistic, for that matter. It's the "body of work" for the individual given their circumstances. And Joe Namath certainly deserves the honor.

Joe Namath was a star...more image than exceptional performance on the field

If you look at Super Bowl III it was the Jet Defense that shut down a high powered Colt offense
Namath basically handed the ball off and set up field goals

Namath had a great first four years in which he passed for 3000-4000 yards while most QBs struggled to break 2000. But he was hobbled through most of the end of his career and only showed flashes of brilliance

Career Losing record...62-63 and 220 Int's with 173 Int's? Why is he in? So the HOF I see is a joke

And if Mcnabb don;t get in with these numbers below then it's RACISM

98-62 career record, with 234 TD passes and 117 Int's
How do Joe's numbers compare with his contemporaries of that era? The game has evolved dramatically since and much in favor of the passing game while today's QBs are also babied by comparison by rules designed to protect them.

Career Losing record...62-63 and 220 Int's with 173 Int's? Why is he in? So the HOF I see is a joke

Is it Racism that Ken Stabler was deprived of the HOF for so many decades who had done far more than Namath?:D
Raider players are treated like shit.Had Stabler played for the Jets,he would have been inducted into it immediately same as Namath was.But anytime someone plays for OAKLAND,the hall of SHAME ignores them. how the fuck do you not induct Tom Flores or Jim Plunkett and wait DECADES to induct the snake? fucking biased pricks the hall of shame are. How is Namath so much more greater than PLunkett?:rolleyes: Give me a fucking break.

Namath is in the hall because of his guarantee of beating the favorite Colts in SB3. He brought legitimacy to the AFL.

Every QB guarantees a in

Nobody goes into the Super Bowl saying they will lose

Johnny Unitas was an undisputed Hall of Famer

He had 290 TDs and 253 INTs with a 54% completion rate

It was a different game back then
QBs didn’t have so many rules protecting them.

He did a panty hose commercial..Duh...

Because he’s white.

Forum List

Back