Why the Bible must be taught in Public Schools

Do you agree with the argument in the thread (not necessarily the application)

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Evangelical

Apr 18, 2009
No one can disagree with the fact and truth that the Bible is a worldview. The Old Testament forms the Hebraic worldview. The New Testament and the Old forms the Christian worldview.

A worldview is the process of socialization, the lens through which we interpret events, and thus determine the outcome of politics, ethics, laws and etc.

There is an identifiable, hostile to Christianity, worldview taught in Public Schools.

It is called secular humanism.

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, that morals are experiential and not absolute, that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

Secular humanism is an affront to Christianity, it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler, to the UK, from New England to modern Germany, but secular humanism can be brutish, and is illogical.

Of course, public schools no longer teach logic to children.

Because, secular humanism is a worldview, just as Christianity is a worldview; because secular humanism is in conflict with Christianity; because the Government (Federal nor State) can choose one religion over another, or anti-religion over pro-religion, or vice versa;

It should be resolved that the Bible must be taught in public schools.

I further would argue that if you are afraid that your child's exposure to Christianity, and to what Christianity teaches and is about, is going to make your child a Christian, then you should have your head examined.

No one can disagree with the fact and truth that the Bible is a worldview. The Old Testament forms the Hebraic worldview. The New Testament and the Old forms the Christian worldview.

A worldview is the process of socialization, the lens through which we interpret events, and thus determine the outcome of politics, ethics, laws and etc.

There is an identifiable, hostile to Christianity, worldview taught in Public Schools.

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, that morals are experiential and not absolute, that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

Secular humanism is an affront to Christianity, it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler, to the UK, from New England to modern Germany, but secular humanism can be brutish, and is illogical.

Because, secular humanism is a worldview, just as Christianity is a worldview; because secular humanism is in conflict with Christianity; because the Government (Federal nor State) can choose one religion over another, or anti-religion over pro-religion, or vice versa;

I further would argue that if you are afraid that your child's exposure to Christianity, and to what Christianity teaches and is about, is going to make your child a Christian, then you should have your head examined.
By the way in high school most public schools cover every religion usually in history class and bible should not be the only religious book taught in school. And I think it should only be taught as historic reference with nothing pretaining to beliefs.

By the way in high school most public schools cover every religion usually in history class and bible should not be the only religious book taught in school. And I think it should only be taught as historic reference with nothing pretaining to beliefs.

Really? I looked at my old history book from high school and guess what, it didn't teach that Jesus Christ was resurrected. So it really didn't teach anything about Christianity.

Because if the Tomb were not Empty there's no point.

Now, beside that, it's not about "history" I'm talking worldviews.

Schools teach secular humanist worldviews, that is "things are relative". When what they should be teaching are Christian worldviews or the worldviews of their LOCAL PARENTS whose children are attending that Public School.

The curriculum should make room for the Parent's worldviews to be expressed.

After all, it's their children, and to a Christian, each child is God's child...it sure as hell is not the states' child. Period. So they don't get to decide what to teach our kids.

Period.

If you want your kids to be taught The Bible then send them to a private school, Sunday school, or CCD or something of that nature. There are plenty of options available that don't violate the separation of church and state.

If you want your kids to be taught The Bible then send them to a private school, Sunday school, or CCD or something of that nature. There are plenty of options available that don't violate the separation of church and state.

Except my taxes don't go to private schools, or Sunday schools, or CCD, or anything of that nature.

My taxes go to PUBLIC SCHOOL.

So the Public School that I pay for, and that other Christians pay for, are hostile to our children.

How are you not already violating the US Constitution by teaching a secular humanist worldview, denying the Christian worldview, and therefore choosing one religion over another?

How about Christians leave Public Schools, and stop paying taxes for them too?

Really? I looked at my old history book from high school and guess what, it didn't teach that Jesus Christ was resurrected. So it really didn't teach anything about Christianity.

Because if the Tomb were not Empty there's no point.

Now, beside that, it's not about "history" I'm talking worldviews.

Schools teach secular humanist worldviews, that is "things are relative". When what they should be teaching are Christian worldviews or the worldviews of their LOCAL PARENTS whose children are attending that Public School.

The curriculum should make room for the Parent's worldviews to be expressed.

After all, it's their children, and to a Christian, each child is God's child...it sure as hell is not the states' child. Period. So they don't get to decide what to teach our kids.

Period.
My history teacher that taught us about all religions didn't use a history book to teach from. By the way not every child in public school has a family that believes in the world views of christians. And if you want your child to learn these things take them to church which is the proper place to teach them these things or teach them at home, and if you want them taught in school send them to a christian school. And you should not get to decide what other children are taught either.

Except my taxes don't go to private schools, or Sunday schools, or CCD, or anything of that nature.

So the Public School that I pay for, and that other Christians pay for, are hostile to our children.

How are you not already violating the US Constitution by teaching a secular humanist worldview, denying the Christian worldview, and therefore choosing one religion over another?

Nobody is ever going to be completely satisfied with the way each and every tax dollar is spent, it's the nature of the beast. I reject your "secular humanist worldview" argument because the way you choose to frame it is based on your opinion and clear intention justify your own view to fit your agenda. Where in contrast if The Bible were taught in schools in the manner in which you describe it would be clearly in violation of the separation of church and state. Sorry but we have rules against that.

Like I said, head on down to your local church with your children and put them in Sunday school or perhaps (and I know this sounds whacko) take them time out of your busy day to sit your kids down at the kitchen table and teach them The Bible yourself if that is what you want to them to be taught.

So what about the majority? Should the majority at least be satisfied how their tax dollars are wasted?

My opinion is the majority opinion, secular humanism doesn't have a majoritarian right to ruin our education system.

Like I said how about we just stop paying taxes to the schools?

So what about the majority? Should the majority at least be satisfied how their tax dollars are wasted?

My opinion is the majority opinion, secular humanism doesn't have a majoritarian right to ruin our education system.

You are telling me that the majority opinion is that The Bible should be taught in public schools in the manner in which you describe? Sorry, I ain't buying it.

If you were to tell me that the majority opinion is that we need some serious reform to our public schools now THAT I would believe.

Let me guess, you want vouchers so you can send your kid to parochial school? Am I right?

what about the other people who pay taxes that support public schools? Not everyone is christian. So like we both said teach your children these views in the proper place which is not public school. And never once did any of my teachers in school deny the christian worldview. I think you are the one scared that your child might start to believe in something else not the other way around.

Christianity is not the sole religion in this country. What you are asking for is the establishment or at the least a state endorsement for such. Comparative religions is fine, teaching of religion, no.

Heck, from conservative members on this thread you aren't getting the 'majority', much less of even this small community. If you don't want your children 'exposed' to what you think is begin taught in public schools, homeschool or send to religious school.

Christianity is not the sole religion in this country. What you are asking for is the establishment or at the least a state endorsement for such. Comparative religions is fine, teaching of religion, no.
you are teacher right annie? Are you teaching what he/she thinks you are?
I doubt it and I doubt most other teacher are either. Most teachers don't even go into anything even close to what he/she is refering to. Maybe at the college level alittle bit especially depending on the school and class.

it always amazes me that people dont trusted professional educators to teach sex ed but they want them to be taught religion at school...pretty damn lazy there of the parents..first of all...do you not feel secure enough to be the person who teaches their kids religion?

you are teacher right annie? Are you teaching what he/she thinks you are?
I doubt it and I doubt most other teacher are either. Most teachers don't even go into anything even close to what he/she is refering to. Maybe at the college level alittle bit especially depending on the school and class.
Yes, I am. No, I don't. The rant is nuts, I don't know how to say it differently.

Baloney What you have a problem with is religious neutrality and that is NOT anti-christian and it is not Secular Humanism.

Teaching about the bible can be done in a comparative religions class (as many schools are already doing.) Religious indoctrination should be done at home by parents. It has no place in a public school.

Last edited:

That is not at all what this is all about. Can I ask you if you are afraid that your child will become a "secular humanist"?? Your type of arrogance is what turns people away from religion.

If theology is to be explored at all at the primary JR, or HS level, all theology should be studied, and it should be studied as such. Truth in advertising, peoples. If you would like science labeled "theory", even though much scientific theory is already presented as such, maybe the science departments wouldn't mind putting what is not concrete as THEORY in all caps as a heading.

Christians have every opportunity to explore their faith; I walk downtown and see no less than four Christian churches in the space of a quarter mile.

I would also like to add that your last little bit can be turned right (pun very much intended) back in the direction it came. If you feel that the lack of reinforcement from the state for your particular belief system or, as you put it, worldview, puts your children at risk of a broader view, then you just didn't indoctrinate them early or often enough for it to "stick."

Last edited:

Agree with your first sentence, disagree with your second.

No one can disagree with the fact and truth that the Bible is a worldview.

Define what you mean by a "worldview" based on my understanding of that phrase the above makes zero sense

The Old Testament forms the Hebraic worldview. The New Testament and the Old forms the Christian worldview.

Oh, okay.

True

True

Also true

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative,

Yes, truth is often dependent on one's WORLD VIEW.

Do you think that is a falsehood? I mean given that you just told is that religion is a world view, I cannot imagine how you could think otherwise.

that morals are experiential and not absolute,

Morals are a manmade construct. Even if you assume that YOUR morals are handed to you from GOD, everybody elses morals are manmade, right?

that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

No the above is wrong. Science isn't oppose to religion, science is opposed to statements that cannot be proven scietifically.

Big difference. Science doesn't give a rat's ass about religion one way or the other.

Secular humanism is an affront to Christianity,

Not to my brand of Christianity. Maybe to yours. IN my band of Christianity Jesus was an HUMANIST

it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler, to the UK, from New England to modern Germany, but secular humanism can be brutish, and is illogical.

Yes, non-religious philosophies can be brutish. As can religious world views.

So?

They try, but they fail.

You need to read the consitution.

The government CANNOT teach a religion. Secular humanism is NOT a religion.

Bad idea. You want MY read of the Bible to be taught or yours? See why government is better off NOT teaching religion?

So noted.

Forum List

Back