Why the Arabic World Turned Away from Science.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
On the lost Golden Age and the rejection of reason

Contemporary Islam is not known for its engagement in the modern scientific project. But it is heir to a legendary “Golden Age” of Arabic science frequently invoked by commentators hoping to make Muslims and Westerners more respectful and understanding of each other. President Obama, for instance, in his June 4, 2009 speech in Cairo, praised Muslims for their historical scientific and intellectual contributions to civilization:

It was Islam that carried the light of learning through so many centuries, paving the way for Europe’s Renaissance and Enlightenment. It was innovation in Muslim communities that developed the order of algebra; our magnetic compass and tools of navigation; our mastery of pens and printing; our understanding of how disease spreads and how it can be healed.

Such tributes to the Arab world’s era of scientific achievement are generally made in service of a broader political point, as they usually precede discussion of the region’s contemporary problems. They serve as an implicit exhortation: the great age of Arab science demonstrates that there is no categorical or congenital barrier to tolerance, cosmopolitanism, and advancement in the Islamic Middle East.

To anyone familiar with this Golden Age, roughly spanning the eighth through the thirteenth centuries a.d., the disparity between the intellectual achievements of the Middle East then and now — particularly relative to the rest of the world — is staggering indeed. In his 2002 book What Went Wrong?, historian Bernard Lewis notes that “for many centuries the world of Islam was in the forefront of human civilization and achievement.” “Nothing in Europe,” notes Jamil Ragep, a professor of the history of science at the University of Oklahoma, “could hold a candle to what was going on in the Islamic world until about 1600.” Algebra, algorithm, alchemy, alcohol, alkali, nadir, zenith, coffee, and lemon: these words all derive from Arabic, reflecting Islam’s contribution

Why the Arabic World Turned Away from Science

• Banned
Given that Arabic science was the most advanced in the world up until about the thirteenth century, it is tempting to ask what went wrong — why it is that modern science did not arise from Baghdad or Cairo or Córdoba. We will turn to this question later, but it is important to keep in mind that the decline of scientific activity is the rule, not the exception, of civilizations. While it is commonplace to assume that the scientific revolution and the progress of technology were inevitable, in fact the West is the single sustained success story out of many civilizations with periods of scientific flourishing. Like the Muslims, the ancient Chinese and Indian civilizations, both of which were at one time far more advanced than the West, did not produce the scientific revolution.

Nevertheless, while the decline of Arabic civilization is not exceptional, the reasons for it offer insights into the history and nature of Islam and its relationship with modernity. Islam’s decline as an intellectual and political force was gradual but pronounced: while the Golden Age was extraordinarily productive, with the contributions made by Arabic thinkers often original and groundbreaking, the past seven hundred years tell a very different story.

Given that Arabic science was the most advanced in the world up until about the thirteenth century, it is tempting to ask what went wrong — why it is that modern science did not arise from Baghdad or Cairo or Córdoba. We will turn to this question later, but it is important to keep in mind that the decline of scientific activity is the rule, not the exception, of civilizations. While it is commonplace to assume that the scientific revolution and the progress of technology were inevitable, in fact the West is the single sustained success story out of many civilizations with periods of scientific flourishing. Like the Muslims, the ancient Chinese and Indian civilizations, both of which were at one time far more advanced than the West, did not produce the scientific revolution.

Nevertheless, while the decline of Arabic civilization is not exceptional, the reasons for it offer insights into the history and nature of Islam and its relationship with modernity. Islam’s decline as an intellectual and political force was gradual but pronounced: while the Golden Age was extraordinarily productive, with the contributions made by Arabic thinkers often original and groundbreaking, the past seven hundred years tell a very different story.
The destruction of the first caliphate by the Mongol Khans was the reason for the end of Islamic/Arabic/ME sciences.. ..

• Banned

The destruction of the first caliphate by the Mongol Khans was the reason for the end of Islamic/Arabic/ME sciences.. ..

You mean Genghis Khan?

Moonglow said:
The Ebb And Flow Of Islamic Orthodoxy

You mean Genghis Khan?
I suppose(not) but Genghis didn't live through the entire span of the empire....It was his grandson which did the deed of sacking of Baghdad and murdering the last Abbasid Caliphate..awww those nasty Mongols...

On the lost Golden Age and the rejection of reason

Contemporary Islam is not known for its engagement in the modern scientific project. But it is heir to a legendary “Golden Age” of Arabic science frequently invoked by commentators hoping to make Muslims and Westerners more respectful and understanding of each other. President Obama, for instance, in his June 4, 2009 speech in Cairo, praised Muslims for their historical scientific and intellectual contributions to civilization:

It was Islam that carried the light of learning through so many centuries, paving the way for Europe’s Renaissance and Enlightenment. It was innovation in Muslim communities that developed the order of algebra; our magnetic compass and tools of navigation; our mastery of pens and printing; our understanding of how disease spreads and how it can be healed.

Such tributes to the Arab world’s era of scientific achievement are generally made in service of a broader political point, as they usually precede discussion of the region’s contemporary problems. They serve as an implicit exhortation: the great age of Arab science demonstrates that there is no categorical or congenital barrier to tolerance, cosmopolitanism, and advancement in the Islamic Middle East.

To anyone familiar with this Golden Age, roughly spanning the eighth through the thirteenth centuries a.d., the disparity between the intellectual achievements of the Middle East then and now — particularly relative to the rest of the world — is staggering indeed. In his 2002 book What Went Wrong?, historian Bernard Lewis notes that “for many centuries the world of Islam was in the forefront of human civilization and achievement.” “Nothing in Europe,” notes Jamil Ragep, a professor of the history of science at the University of Oklahoma, “could hold a candle to what was going on in the Islamic world until about 1600.” Algebra, algorithm, alchemy, alcohol, alkali, nadir, zenith, coffee, and lemon: these words all derive from Arabic, reflecting Islam’s contribution

Why the Arabic World Turned Away from Science

What went wrong? You might as well ask what went wrong with Catholicism.

Was it ever right?

Moonglow said:
And they are constantly fighting over who should be the leader.Overly zealous leadership and lack of social mobility stagnates nations...

Moonglow said:
And they are constantly fighting over who should be the leader.Overly zealous leadership and lack of social mobility stagnates nations...

It seems that certain bad elements eventually usurp positions of authority and call themselves holy men and then start calling holy men low lifes.

The people go duh. Whats going on? Who gives a shit, I need to feed my children.

The next thing you know its a roman circus.

Moonglow said:

It seems that certain bad elements eventually usurp positions of authority and call themselves holy men and then start calling holy men low lifes.

The people go duh. Whats going on? Who gives a shit, I need to feed my children.

What I don't get is years ago they had belly dancers in most ME nations now it's a sin..

Moonglow said:

What I don't get is years ago they had belly dancers in most ME nations now it's a sin..

I know. That sucks. They musty have learned a thing or two during the inquisition. Or from the rise of the moral majority, those God loving power hungry money grubbing sexually repressed hypocrites.

wasn't it around the same time things began to go south? Even in this country?

Last edited:
Moonglow said:

I know. That sucks. They musty have learned a thing or two after the inquisition.
Manscaping?

I know. That sucks. They musty have learned a thing or two after the inquisition.
Manscaping?

Can you get it off your mind for one nano second?

Manscaping?

Are you mansplaining?

Manscaping?

Are you mansplaining?

No.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9803da78-4294-11e3-8350-00144feabdc0

Manscaping?
When the pillars of society become flaccid, society falls.

Manscaping?
Are you saying we should zenith our acme?

Manscaping?
Are you saying we should zenith our acme?

Who can say? Sometimes the fate of the world relies on the virility of one man.

Forum List

Back