Why Testing Should Be Required To Vote

Smart educated liberal academics from Harvard and Yale have done more damage to this nation than any 'Joe the Plumber' could even conceive of.

We would be better off if only stupid people were allowed to run for office or vote.

Message boards have completely demolished the myth of the "Liberal Intellectual Elite" and for that I'm grateful

They tried testing, like asking to guess the number of jelly beans in a jar or asked to recite the Declaration of Independence. Thank god they discontinued it, although the Right keeps thinking of ways to keep "certain people" from voting.

Why don't we skip the Bullshit and let only lawyers vote?

That way, we will get rid of all those hacks who think they are patriots or understand what the constitution is about but don't!!

P.S. I'm not a lawyer!!

I remember leaving a voting booth around 1995 and running into my mom, I will never forget what she asked me "You know who to vote for right?"

I told her what the fuck are you talking about?

I voted for bugs bunny, hoped in my 95 stang and went back to work.

It's very rude to say "fuck" to your mom.

They tried testing, like asking to guess the number of jelly beans in a jar or asked to recite the Declaration of Independence. Thank god they discontinued it, although the Right keeps thinking of ways to keep "certain people" from voting.

'Jelly bean test'
It also chronicles both legal and illegal means used to keep blacks away from the polls before the act passed.

There’s an authentic Ku Klux Klan uniform and an interactive recreation of the “jelly bean test,” a technique used by some Jim Crow-era registrars to prevent blacks from voting. The registrar would ask voters to guess the number of jelly beans in a jar.

“The tendency was for white voters to somehow get it right and for black voters to get it wrong,” Rowley said.
Exhibit traces Voting Rights Act - US news - Life - Race ethnicity NBC News

You mean back when the Klan was democratic ??

The OP could give a shit less about voting rights, he is trying to get you folks to realize how fucking stupid you have become and that allowing an ignorant group to vote will have adverse affects on us all.

Now you hating fucking shit mongers can go back to painting that hating scene with your broad nasty fucking stereotypical sentiment in your childish fucking closed minded little hate filled little black boy worlds ............

The OP could give a shit less about voting rights, he is trying to get you folks to realize how fucking stupid you have become and that allowing an ignorant group to vote will have adverse affects on us all.

Now you hating fucking shit mongers can go back to painting that hating scene with your broad nasty fucking stereotypical sentiment in your childish fucking closed minded little hate filled little black boy worlds ............
How absurd and bizarre is it to be getting a lecture about hate from this person?

Now they vote for the same party that did that to them in the past, who now keeps them poor and in Ghettos, shitty schools an aborts 63% of their population.

QUOTE="DrDoomNGloom, post: 11964496, member: 47981"] QUOTE="Truth2Know, post: 11964488, member: 52633"]Here's a test question to see if you should vote: Are you a financial support or drain on America?

I posted a thread on this in May - Voting Privileges System Needed US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

The thesis is that only those who financially support our country (in any give year) should be permitted to vote. This doesn't require any specific knowledge of American history or current events, but if you are making money and paying your taxes it means that you must know something.[ QUOTE]

I could get behind this ..............

Let's extend this one step farther, only those who work legally for the full 4 yr period get to vote in presidential elections.[ QUOTE]
"Why Testing Should Be Required To Vote"

Why most on the right are hostile to the fundamental right to vote.
Most of them are hostile to the idea of the massively ignorant voting - as they should be.

Unfortunately, most of them also show that they are not actual small government conservatives at the same time in trying to allow the government the most awesome power of all - the power to decide who is watching over them.

Here's a test question to see if you should vote: Are you a financial support or drain on America?

I posted a thread on this in May - Voting Privileges System Needed US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

The thesis is that only those who financially support our country (in any give year) should be permitted to vote. This doesn't require any specific knowledge of American history or current events, but if you are making money and paying your taxes it means that you must know something.

I could get behind this ..............

Let's extend this one step farther, only those who work legally for the full 4 yr period get to vote in presidential elections.
Of course - remove the power of the vote from those that are poor and watch how they keep their rights intact.

Do you really understand what that means - you want an underclass that does not have the right to vote and by extension does not have any rights at all. Those will disappear pretty quickly as their 'masters' vote more shit away from them and over to themselves. Perhaps you can simply put chains on them and force them into servitude now - why bother with the interim...

Last edited:
Why should knowing first amendment rights have anything to do with you knowing which candidate best represents your interests and points of view?

That's one of the stupidest - maybe THE stupidest - questions I have seen asked on this board to date, and I have neither time or motivation to give you remedial history and civics lessons.

No, it's actually a rather intelligent question. Your answer however, does fit in the answers that are "maybe THE stupidest" category.
No, it is not.

Do you REALLY have to ask why a basic understanding of government, how it works and what the bill of rights represents is integral in voting?

It never cease to amaze me how people can think that the utterly ignorant can go to the voting booth and cast a vote that 'represents' them. It is essentially impossible to do so without the most basic diligence on their part in investigating the candidates and how the government operates.

This is a double edged sword in our society today.

We all want the right to vote, I don't want to take anyone's vote from them any more than I would want someone to take my vote from me.

I would hope the person voting was basing the vote on informed judgement, not some party line or hate / cultural perceptions.

Unfortunately in our society any test will be deemed as racism by some class or group of the populace.

Therefore the only way to keep all happy would be to let all vote.
This is the core problem. I don't think people that are utterly ignorant of political realities to vote either - that is asinine. Why should someone that has no knowledge of what is going on vote? They are not voting their best interest, they are voting for whichever commercial they liked told them to vote for. Want to know why money has such huge influence and airtime is far more important than actual issues - here it is. Ignorant voters.

But there is simply no way to solve that issue. If you really are a small government person and do not trust the government to run most things then how in the hell can you trust it to decide who votes? That is simply crazy.

The real problem is that, at some point, those you do not back and disagree with are going to take power - that is a cold hard fact. I would challenge the rightwingers that back voting tests to see if they would be terribly upset if a question such as:

Q: What is the best way to stimulate an economy?
A: increase taxes on the wealthy and use that to increase government spending.

happened to appear on said test. If I want liberals to pass the test in far grater numbers than conservatives I can easily make a test that will do so and vice versa. There is no way I would EVER trust the government with such awesome power and, by the very CORE of conservative thought, you should not be entertaining such thoughts either.

The REAL change that needs to be made is trashing this idea that voting is some sort of right. It is not. It is a civic DUTY that comes with certain OBLIGATIONS. Namely that you study and understand the issues, candidates and what they represent. If you do not take the time then you are obligated to abstain. If you do then you should get out there and vote. The only person, however, that can judge this is the person themselves. Anyone else conveys far to much power.

Forum List

Back