Why Tax Reform Terrifies the Left

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
1. Simplified Tax reform is another way to CUT TAXES....:eek:
....making taxes flat and keeping them simplified so any increases are highly visible to the public is going to reduce the size of government.....:321:

2. It also TAKES AWAY POWER from Washington.....:muahaha:
....one of the main activities on Capitol Hill will disappear.....corporations/unions/special interest groups will no longer need to Lobby to get Congress members to give them special "loopholes" or tax breaks in the tax code.....:huddle:
....this also means Senators and Representatives will lose quite a bit of their personal power.......and their underhanded ability to make "deals" on the side....gosh they might have time to actually do The Peoples' business.... :eusa_wall:

:thup:

....making taxes flat and keeping them simplified so any increases are highly visible to the public is going to reduce the size of government.....:321:

....one of the main activities on Capitol Hill will disappear.....corporations/unions/special interest groups will no longer need to Lobby to get Congress members to give them special "loopholes" or tax breaks in the tax code.....:huddle:
....this also means Senators and Representatives will lose quite a bit of their personal power.......and their underhanded ability to make "deals" on the side....gosh they might have time to actually do The Peoples' business.... :eusa_wall:

That's a gross oversimplification......pretty much in line with the new campaign to promote Rick Perry that conservative media begun last weekend

I am on the Left and I think Tax Reform is something we definitely need to do. As soon as possible.

How is that due to the tax code? It seems to me that it's because of the way we finance elections. Go to public financing and there's no reason for our representitives to sell their vote to the highest bidder. Since they wouldn't be going to fundraisers every week either, they'd have more time to spend on OUR business, instead of the business of getting themselves re-elected.

How is that due to the tax code? It seems to me that it's because of the way we finance elections. Go to public financing and there's no reason for our representitives to sell their vote to the highest bidder. Since they wouldn't be going to fundraisers every week either, they'd have more time to spend on OUR business, instead of the business of getting themselves re-elected.

tax code is important because in many cases that's where the buck stops....so to speak.....else why so many special interest tax "loopholes".....?

remember how Cristine O Donnell "terrified" the left?

remember how Trump "terrified" the left?

yeah, me too. not

I am on the Left and I think Tax Reform is something we definitely need to do. As soon as possible.

Raising taxes is not really "reform"....

If we went to a flat tax we could get rid of about 75,000 pages of tax code.....now that's REFORM....

If we went to a flat tax we could get rid of about 75,000 pages of tax code.....now that's REFORM....

You are repeating the Perry lie. The tax code, while still hefty, is only 4,000 pages.

We do need tax reform though, but it needs more progression, not less.

I think what you mean to ask is 'Why are leftists opposed to tax reform?'

The answer to why we're opposed is that we favor progressive taxes; which means that the people who have most of the money should pay most of the taxes.

The answer to why we're opposed is that we favor progressive taxes; which means that the people who have most of the money should pay most of the taxes.

a flat tax would accomplish that...

We're not opposed to all tax reform, however. For example, I'd be in favor of a tax plan under which families making less than 50k/yr pay no taxes at all. What could be simpler than that?

You are repeating the Perry lie. The tax code, while still hefty, is only 4,000 pages.

We do need tax reform though, but it needs more progression, not less.

Perry didn't lie.....you're the one who's wrong.....
according to Political Calculations: 2011: The Number of Pages in the U.S. Tax Code

2011-cch-std-fed-tax-reporter-number-of-pages-us-tax-code.png

They already pay most of the taxes.

We're not opposed to all tax reform, however. For example, I'd be in favor of a tax plan under which families making less than 50k/yr pay no taxes at all. What could be simpler than that?

i believe under Perry's flat tax plan everyone would get a $12,500 standard deduction.....plus for children as well....

that means a family of four making anywhere up to $50,000 would pay zero taxes....

Money you need for food and clothes and living indoors should be taxed at a different rate than money you need to redecorate the interior of your private jet.

poor whining eagle... so much spew... so little knowledge

uhuh....here come the attacks....you lefties are about to wet your pants with Herman Cain at the forefront....

:lol:
I think I'm going to start a thread abou the many things the right thinks the left is afraid of.......that they don't really seem to be afraid of.

I don't hear lefties accusing righties of being afraid much though.....hmmm

Money you need for food and clothes and living indoors should be taxed at a different rate than money you need to redecorate the interior of your private jet.

i agree that Cain's 999 plan is quite regressive.....especially when you add 9% onto a 5-9% state sales tax.....that can add up to almost 20% on everything you buy.....plus i don't like creating a NEW revenue source for the Feds.....which is why i favor Perry's flat plan....there is just a flat income tax....no new federal sales tax....

The biggest problem is that what Perry calls a “flat tax” isn’t, writes Dylan Matthews at The Washington Post. A flat tax can sound attractive because it is simple—a virtue Perry himself calls out in his Wall Street Journal op-ed announcing the plan. But Perry’s version is optional, meaning the mind-bendingly complex tax code he despises will remain in place but will now be fitted with a new parallel tax structure. “By making the flat tax optional, Perry’s plan actually complicates the tax code,” Matthews writes. “It would force households to determine whether they should pay the flat tax or the regular income tax, making the process more time-consuming and expensive, not less."

“It is an embarrassment,” writes Reihan Salam at National Review, describing the Perry plan as an “alternative maximum tax, or MAXTAX.” Middle-class Americans will still face frustration and high tax-prep costs figuring out if they should go with their old rate or Perry’s new “flat” rate, but the flat tax will be an automatic steal for the wealthy. “Essentially, what Perry has done is reverse the Buffett Rule,” Salam writes. “He has guaranteed that no American will ever pay more than 20 percent of her income in federal taxes. Indeed, affluent homeowners living in high-tax jurisdictions like New York City and Los Angeles earning up to $499,000 will likely pay much less than that, as they’ll continue to have access to the mortgage interest, charitable and state and local tax exemptions … This plan defies credulity.”

Journalists Break Down Rick Perry

A massive tax break for the rich... Where does the extra money come from?

Forum List

Back