'Why Study Philosophy'

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by midcan5, Feb 2, 2013.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,012
    Greetings all, I few items for you puzzlers out there in cyberspace.

'Our brains predict the outcomes of our actions, shaping reality into what we expect. That’s why we see what we believe'
    How our brain sculpts experience in line with our expectations | Aeon Essays

'Probing age-old philosophical questions as well as the politics of the moment, the interview offers a revealing glimpse of the divergent styles, attitudes and outlooks of two enduringly influential thinkers.'

'When Chomsky met Foucault: how the thinkers debated the ‘ideal society’'
    When Chomsky met Foucault: how the thinkers debated the ‘ideal society’ | Aeon Videos

'What Do You Do When You're Alone'
    What does it mean to be lonely?

http://www.thecritique.com/exclusive/no-exit-from-darkness-the-philosophy-of-true-detective/

http://www.slate.com/bigideas/is-there-life-after-death/essays-and-opinions

"Sometimes we need to change our ways, sometimes we even need to change our dreams, but sometimes we are entitled to say that we are making moral progress." Ruth Anna Putnam

"A philosopher is a blind man, in a dark cellar, at midnight, looking for a black cat that isn't there. He is distinguished from a theologian in that the theologian finds the cat." [Various]

'72 Philosophy Books Everyone Should Read'

72 Philosophy Books Everyone Should Read

72? well some I've read.

2. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,012
    A magazine worth your time.

Greetings all, as I grow more mature, mature, you say, nah old. I know only so much time exists before me. I have been on this site so long I miss a few that are now gone. I admit I will miss life but death is that quiet place where there is no missing only....

"Ancient Greek and Roman philosophers believed that we had no reason to fear death. Socrates viewed it as a dreamless sleep, while Lucretius saw no difference between two stretches of non-existence: the time before we were born and the eternity after we die. He thought we should fear both equally; that is, not at all.

Yet Shakespeare understood the human condition much better: we most certainly do fear death. Most humans are terrified of the prospect of existing no more, of taking that one final breath.

Our fear of death is the ultimate fear of missing out – on all the events, the people, the progress, the battles. When we die, the world will not pause. Life, without us, will go on.

Rather than casting this fear aside, perhaps we should invite it into the room and look it square in the eye. What do we fear we’ll miss out on when we’re gone? What should we do more – or less – of while we’re here?

All must die. But not all will truly live, making the most of the hand – however unfair it may be – they have been dealt. Will you?"

New Philosopher | Magazine

3. task0778

task0778 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,918
    There are those who believe that we all live many lives rather than just one. Therefore, we die many times and are reborn at some point into another life and situation, perhaps to satisfy the laws of karma, among whatever other reasons there might be. Ancient Greeks and Romans believed that too, as did the ancient Egyptians that built the Pyramids. Some anthropologists believe that pre-historic cavemen buried their dead with tools and weapons to use in the next life. There are many Eastern Religions practiced today that believe in reincarnation too.

Ergo, there's no reason to fear death if one believes in rebirth, we've done it before and will do it again. Ain't saying it's true, ain't saying it isn't either.

4. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,502
    Faith is having complete trust in something or someone. I don’t know anyone who would put complete trust in something or someone without good reason.

Therefore, there is an element of reason in faith. And since reason is informed through logic and logic is informed with facts, it seems to me that faith and logic are not mutually exclusive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,012
  6. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,502
    To pass it down.

7. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,502
    I agree with the sentiment. The focus should be on living.

It seems to me that since the urge to survive is programmed into all living things that life must be a wonderful gift worth living.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,198
    Not down, forward (or maybe in a circle).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,198

And giving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,502
    I agree. My reference to down was to the next generation.