'Why Study Philosophy'

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by midcan5, Feb 2, 2013.

1. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,125
    I'm not sure I'm hung up. Logical thinking is certainly an improvement over some of what I hear around here. I agree with you 100%. I just have a certain wariness about philosophical cleverness. When I was in college, I only took one philosophy course, but I took my mandatory two semesters of Humanities from a professor in the philosophy department (his take on Wuthering Heights was priceless...lol). He kept insisting that if I believed good and evil were relativist concepts, that I had to believe that Hitler's final solution was okay. When we get into arguments over the nature of being, and the existence of good--or God, no one can actually prove it, G.T. I believe there are different schools of thought on this, and they would be quite put out if you told them they were just being opinionated.

2. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,292
    Good, evil and god have nothing to do with whether or not logic is valid or opinion based...I think you're confusing logic with philosophy.

Logic is the tool-set the brain literally uses to reason. Youd have to USE logic to even argue AGAINST logic.

Im really lost on what youre getting at still.

Philosophies can be right or wrong? That was my opinion in the 1st place.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,125
    Thanks. I thought you were advocating teaching philosophy as a way to teach mind discipline.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that, either.

4. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,292
    Naw, on the contrary my 1st post in this thread was advocating the exact opposite, lol...

Philosophers, often times, have a LOT of logical errors in the theories they posit.

Im promoting more discipline in reasoning, overall.

For example, toro called pascale's wager "logically flawless" when that's probably the window-sticker model in bad philosophy. Its got fatally flawed logic, which render it incoherent using the simple fundamentals of human reasoning.

Thats why I offered to walk you through its refutation, because your response to what I said seemed to be something along the lines of......"see, since people disagree whether or not its valid means that its unresolved/ambiguous." (my words in attempt to paraphrase)

But the wager is defeated absent opinion, bias or other....logic soundly defeats it.

5. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,125
    It seems we've been talking at cross purposes. I don't need an explanation for why God In The Bible doesn't exist, so I didn't need a blow by blow refutation of Pascale's Wager. It's dumb, in my opinion, to try and justify faith with logic. They are like oil and water, cats and dogs, east and west. But many still choose faith, and I don't think your logical arguments will have any effect on them, G.T. js

6. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,292
    I'm not trying to change anyones mind. I'm looking for good arguments and assisting to point out bad ones. In the process, I learn. Im a geek like that.

7. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,595
    The wager is defeated by its own logical error and the arguments against the wager are defeated by their own logical errors.

The correct logic for the wager is that the practical benefits of faith and spirituality are so superior to the lack of benefits of materialism that betting on theism is rational and betting on materialism is irrational.

It’s not about infinite rewards after death, it is about practical rewards on the journey to death.

8. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Severely Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +183
    It's also a gender issue, Female students often choose a liberal arts education. The majority of liberal arts majors are women as they mostly become ordinary housewives. Looking back now, I should have chosen economics to land a job as a financial analyst at a major bank or political science. Philosophy that I majored is of no use in real life unless you will become a university lecturer teaching philosophy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,292
    Dept. of ed circa Nov 17

[​IMG]

10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,037
    "Politics is opposed to morality, as philosophy to naïveté." Emmanuel Levinas

Good to see this thread still active. A few links for the interested reader below.

'What Is It Like To Be A Philosopher?' What Is It Like to Be a Philosopher?

'Freedom and Neurobiology by John Searle' Freedom and Neurobiology by John Searle | Issue 66 | Philosophy Now

"Science asks and answers its big questions, so why is philosophy taking its time? Because it’s only just getting started"
    Why philosophy is taking its time to answer the big questions | Aeon Essays

"No real belief, however trifling and fragmentary it may seem, is ever truly insignificant; it prepares us to receive more of its like, confirms those which resembled it before, and weakens others; and so gradually it lays a stealthy train in our inmost thoughts, which may someday explode into overt action, and leave its stamp upon our character." William Kingdon Clifford

'Being 97' An ageing philosopher returns to the essential question: ‘What is the point of it all?’ | Aeon Videos

PS I think our 97 year old had a good life.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019