'Why Study Philosophy'

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens arent going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show. McCrory can critique the educated elite all that he wants, but when you pal around with the likes of Art Pope you really have no business accusing anyone else of elitism.

McCrory himself studied political science and education. Bennett, who was interviewing him, has a PhD in you guessed it philosophy. The underlying assumption appears to be that if youre part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If youre lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical American dream, that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

Femmonite: Notes from an Employed Philosopher
Philosophy kicks in where science leaves off so dumb shits can have fake answers to the unanswered
Before “modern science”, philosophy and science were in the same academic boat.
Science used to be called “natural philosophy” a few hundred years ago.
Since they diverged, philosophy is the basis of scientific thought and methodology.
For example, there is Philosophy of Science, and Science itself.
Philosophy is BS when thinking science. As I said philosophy is now a way for stupid liberal professors to deny God and teach communist manifestos
Apparently, you know little about philosophy.
It’s the basis for overall rational thought, including topics in metaphysics and epistemology, which are the basis of religion & science.
Christians can be philosophers too.

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens arent going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show. McCrory can critique the educated elite all that he wants, but when you pal around with the likes of Art Pope you really have no business accusing anyone else of elitism.

McCrory himself studied political science and education. Bennett, who was interviewing him, has a PhD in you guessed it philosophy. The underlying assumption appears to be that if youre part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If youre lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical American dream, that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

Philosophy kicks in where science leaves off so dumb shits can have fake answers to the unanswered
Since they diverged, philosophy is the basis of scientific thought and methodology.
Philosophy is BS when thinking science. As I said philosophy is now a way for stupid liberal professors to deny God and teach communist manifestos
It’s the basis for overall rational thought, including topics in metaphysics and epistemology, which are the basis of religion & science.
Yawn, philosophy is a waste of time, I'll stick with quantum entanglement at the moment.

We are spirits clad in veils. (Quote by - Christopher P. Cranch)

Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language. (Quote by - Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Life has the name of life, but in reality it is death. (Quote by - Heraclitus)

The map is not the territory. (Quote by - Alfred Korzybski)

Because they know the name of what I am looking for, they think they know what I am looking for! (Quote by - Antonio Porchia)

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts, but if he will content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties. (Quote by - Francis Bacon)

The philosopher is Nature's pilot. And there you have our difference: to be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer. (Quote by - George Bernard Shaw)

Can quotes really be steered

Wake up Apple was up 5 percent yesterday

What were you?

Yawn, philosophy is a waste of time, I'll stick with quantum entanglement at the moment.

Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language. (Quote by - Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Because they know the name of what I am looking for, they think they know what I am looking for! (Quote by - Antonio Porchia)

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts, but if he will content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties. (Quote by - Francis Bacon)

The philosopher is Nature's pilot. And there you have our difference: to be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer. (Quote by - George Bernard Shaw)

What were you?
You’re not CURIOUS how things work; how to explain quantum entanglement?
With more understanding, more progress can be made.

What were you?
Sure I am curious but entanglement will not be explained by a philosopher but by teams doing real science

What were you?
Sure I am curious but entanglement will not be explained by a philosopher but by teams doing real science
What’s the difference between “real science” and non-real science?

What were you?
Well perhaps after you graduate kindergarten you might be able to understand.

However the answer is that science relies upon data, philosophy takes over in the absence of data where idiots try to look smart when talking shit about something they have no clue about. Like you are doing now professor

Examples of philosophic genius

1. Why are towels considered dirty when you get out of the shower clean?

2. Who closes the bus door once the bus driver gets off?

3. Why is there a "d" in "fridge" but not in "refrigerator"

4. If you drop soap on the floor is the floor clean or the soap dirty?

5. Is the "S" or the "C" silent in the word "scent?

6. Does expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?

7. Would Lightning McQueen buy car insurance or life insurance?

8. Who put the alphabet in alphabetical order?

9. What color are mirrors?

10. If 2 mind readers read each other's minds whose mind are they really reading?

11. Is there a synonym for "synonym"?

12. If your shirt isn't tucked into your pants, are your pants tucked into your shirt?

13. Why is it called "quick sand" if you sink slowly in it?

14. If I try to fail, but succeed, which one did I do?

15. If Cinderella's shoe fit perfectly, why did it fall off?

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...cal-questions?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1571144131

What were you?

However the answer is that science relies upon data, philosophy takes over in the absence of data where idiots try to look smart when talking shit about something they have no clue about. Like you are doing now professor

10. If 2 mind readers read each other's minds whose mind are they really reading?

12. If your shirt isn't tucked into your pants, are your pants tucked into your shirt?

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...cal-questions?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1571144131
You ignored my question on what you think is “real science”. All sciences use data, but philosophy of science explores & questions the validity of scientific methods & their data.
For example, quantum mechanics has its measurement problems, and how to interpret them is an ongoing issue in the field.

What were you?

You ignored my question on what you think is “real science”. All sciences use data, but philosophy of science explores & questions the validity of scientific methods & their data.
For example, quantum mechanics has its measurement problems, and how to interpret them is an ongoing issue in the field.
Wrong real science is based on the data. Philosophy begins where the data leaves off and professors begin masterbating in public.

The big bang is philosophy, it is based upon the CMB radiation. When you examine the big bang theory it says that all matter started out in one place and exploded into existence. OK I accepted that but then ask since everything is moving away from that point then the mass in the universe could be traced beck to this point and also the universe should be in the shape of an expanding shell moving away from the center.

NONE OF THIS IS OBSERVED SO THE BIG BANG BECOMES A BIG DUMB IDEA

Seriously I ask about this once and was told that there was no point of origin, that everything just poped into existence at once.

Keep babbling doofy, my stock is splitting shortly

What were you?

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.theodysseyonline.com/random-funny-philosophical-questions?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1571144131
Wrong real science is based on the data. Philosophy begins where the data leaves off and professors begin masterbating in public.

The big bang is philosophy, it is based upon the CMB radiation. When you examine the big bang theory it says that all matter started out in one place and exploded into existence. OK I accepted that but then ask since everything is moving away from that point then the mass in the universe could be traced beck to this point and also the universe should be in the shape of an expanding shell moving away from the center.

Seriously I ask about this once and was told that there was no point of origin, that everything just poped into existence at once.

You continue to show your ignorance on philosophy AND science.
The Big Bang is a SCIENTIFIC theory based on observable cosmological data.
The philosophy that may be used is its branch of logic & epistemology.

Good luck with your stock, but you should invest more into your education.

What were you?

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.theodysseyonline.com/random-funny-philosophical-questions?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1571144131

You continue to show your ignorance on philosophy AND science.
The Big Bang is a SCIENTIFIC theory based on observable cosmological data.
The philosophy that may be used is its branch of logic & epistemology.

Good luck with your stock, but you should invest more into your education.
The big bang is no longer fully accepted because there is no void where matter on predictable trajectories can be retraced.

What is happening here is that you are acting the role of the parrot and are not thinking on your own

I got FBI references, dumb ones but references anyways

Big Bang, Deflated? Universe May Have Had No Beginning ...
Big Bang, Deflated? Universe May Have Had No Beginning
Big Bang under fire According to the Big Bang theory , the universe was born about 13.8 billion years ago. All the matter that exists today was once squished into an infinitely dense, infinitely ...

What If the Big Bang Wasn't the Beginning? New Study ...
What If the Big Bang Wasn't the Beginning? New Study Proposes Alternative
Most astronomers believe the universe began 13.8 billion years ago in a sudden explosion called the Big Bang. Other theorists have invented alternatives and extensions to this theory.

Last edited:

What were you?
:lmao:

A philosopher who changed the way I looked out on the world of whys and why nots. This may be my most viewed and commented post of the past twenty years.

"Derek Parfit had acquired an international reputation by the time he was 35, and after
the publication of his Reasons and Persons (1984) became one of the three or four
most respected moral philosophers of his time."

"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great. If this is so, I may be acting very wrongly..." Derek Parfit

"No question is more sublime than why there is a Universe: why there is anything rather than nothing." Derek Parfit

'Birds and Frogs in Physics'

'The phenomenology of Maurice Merleau-Ponty entwines us, via our own beating, pulsing, living bodies, in the lives of others'

'Philosophy cannot resolve the question ‘How should we live?’'

Reading: New Philosopher | Magazine

I enjoy philosophy as an area of study.

Philosophy began as an examination of one's own thoughts. We should all examine our own thought processes.

I wonder at why peeps keep arguing about Philo and stuff. I tend to go with Karl Popper myself on the physical level but with Aquinas/Chesterton/Bible/RC on the "meaning of life" issues. I find most of what I read that says "Philo" is really reducible to some quite simple tenets.
1. The Scientific Method rules!!

2. Whatever one's definition of God is it is inadequate. Just accept that some things are beyond Human Understanding but NOT beyond Human acceptance.

Re Marxist "Philo"........no such thing. It's just propaganda: rule of a clique over the weaker.

Greg

'If everyone has a right to be heard, why are some told to keep quiet?'

Below is a deep dive interesting....

'No one with an interest in philosophy or debates about identity can afford to be ignorant of the work of Saul Kripke'

"Very few people would ever fall in love if they had never read about it." Philosophy of Mind professor

Interesting interview on how we think, book links and woke. Good stuff for the thoughtful.

'Cultures Think, with Julian Baggini'

'How the World Thinks: A Global History of Philosophy'

'Intimacy or Integrity: Philosophy and Cultural Difference'

'The Inductive Argument Against Wokism'

Forum List

Back