Why Space Travel ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I have always been an opponent of sending rockets into space, especially when tax $$ are being used. I still just don't see the point,or benefit to mankind.

Can anyne cite anything worthwhile that came from the trip to the moon, that coudn't have been obtained anyway, without that space travel ? Or from any of the space endeavours since then ?

I can think of 2 results from these >> 17 dead astronauts, and Billions of $$$ wasted.

upload_2018-2-8_12-26-42.jpeg
upload_2018-2-8_12-27-26.jpeg
images

I have always been an opponent of sending rockets into space, especially when tax $$ are being used. I still just don't see the point,or benefit to mankind.

Can anyne cite anything worthwhile that came from the trip to the moon, that coudn't have been obtained anyway, without that space travel ? Or from any of the space endeavours since then ?

I can think of 2 results from these >> 17 dead astronauts, and Billions of $$$ wasted.

View attachment 175611 View attachment 175612
images
Have you stopped to consider that the space program has brought us more technical advancement that just about any other human endeavor?

I'd go get a list of things we have today that were brought about by the space program, but I'm pretty sure you know how to use google

images

It aids in the overall increase in technology by requiring new scientific principles and engineering applications.

It satisfies mankind's need and desire to go "out there". Out there used to be across the ocean, then across a continent, now it's straight up.

It is apt that astronauts were originally test pilots, these people knew the risks they were taking.

If space travel goes private, I have no issue with it, but expansion through space is needed for our species development and maybe eventual survival.

Have you stopped to consider that the space program has brought us more technical advancement that just about any other human endeavor?

I'd go get a list of things we have today that were brought about by the space program, but I'm pretty sure you know how to use google
Those same things could have been positive spinoffs from ANY scientific endeavour, including many that actually have a reason for their existence.

It aids in the overall increase in technology by requiring new scientific principles and engineering applications.

It satisfies mankind's need and desire to go "out there". Out there used to be across the ocean, then across a continent, now it's straight up.

It is apt that astronauts were originally test pilots, these people knew the risks they were taking.

If space travel goes private, I have no issue with it, but expansion through space is needed for our species development and maybe eventual survival.
:disagree: I see no need "for our species development" (whatever that means), nor do I feel any need or desire to go "out there". When it's tax $$ being spent, I'd rather see it go to my meager Social Security and/or VA pension payments. (just for 1 example)

As for "overall increase in technology by requiring new scientific principles and engineering applications" that's already answered in Post # 5.

:disagree: I see no need "for our species development" (whatever that means), nor do I feel any need or desire to go "out there". When it's tax $$ being spent, I'd rather see it go to my meager Social Security and/or VA pension payments. (just for 1 example)

As for "overall increase in technology by requiring new scientific principles and engineering applications" that's already answered in Post # 5.

So "gimme gimme gimme".

Got it.

Those same things could have been positive spinoffs from ANY scientific endeavour, including many that actually have a reason for their existence.
Not really, but the truth is they were byproducts of the space program. There is simply no getting around that.

Not really, but the truth is they were byproducts of the space program. There is simply no getting around that.
Really. There is no getting around >> ANY scientific activity produces spinoff effects.

This is a longtime space program excuse line, that doesn't fly.

no need for species development? Lol

Really. There is no getting around >> ANY scientific activity produces spinoff effects.

Without the focus that was required to solve the problems of space travel, they would not have spun off as you put it. You have to have science doing things in the channel in order to have these so-called spin-offs.

It's like saying if we never witnessed lightning, then we'd never have the fire to make metal tools.

When you come up with a compelling argument that we had research in those channels of scientific research before the space program, get back to Me. Otherwise, I think you're just being contrary for its own sake. I'll bet you haven't even bothered to look at what we've reaped from the space program.

So "gimme gimme gimme".

Got it.
Better than waste, waste, waste.

If it makes you feel better, I'd rather see the money go to animal shelters or sick children.

That's something the States can handle.

The Feds should be concerned with things like this, not with social welfare crap.

There is ample precedent for this, from the government funding Lewis & Clark's expedition to even before that when Kings sponsored exploration during the golden age of sail.

We need to learn how to travel and survive consistently off world so the human race survives the inevitable self-destruction of the Earth by war or resource depletion.
If that happens, the human race doesn't DESERVE to survive.

Without the focus that was required to solve the problems of space travel, they would not have spun off as you put it. You have to have science doing things in the channel in order to have these so-called spin-offs.

It's like saying if we never witnessed lightning, then we'd never have the fire to make metal tools.

When you come up with a compelling argument that we had research in those channels of scientific research before the space program, get back to Me. Otherwise, I think you're just being contrary for its own sake. I'll bet you haven't even bothered to look at what we've reaped from the space program.
Being contrary for its own sake ? That's what you're doing.

1. You don't have a leg to stand down to show that that these spinoffs could only have happened from space travel.

2. A single one of these astronauts lives is worth a million times as much as all your space reapings.

Sure I've looked at what we've reaped from the space program >>

Astronaut+Grave+5__OTIS.jpg

Humanity has two choices. Eventually spread off world and evolve as a species or stay on one world with a finite lifespan, fighting over decreasing resources, as a stagnant species in eventual decline.
Exploration and ability to adapt is what makes humankind special.
The OP is free to stay home.

Humanity has two choices. Eventually spread off world and evolve as a species or stay on one world with a finite lifespan, fighting over decreasing resources, as a stagnant species in eventual decline.
Ability to adapt can be done on the planet earth, and is done every year.

Last edited:
Ability to adapt can be done on the planet earth, and us done every year.
You are arguing against the inevitable.

images

R&D is still R&D

You can invest in R&D in medicine, transportation, communication, energy and get breakthroughs that help other areas

Tired of hearing how the space program got us Velcro and Tang

Forum List

Back