Why Some Non-Partisan, Open-Minded People Support Obama

There are some people who still want to believe that obama will help. If obama is successful and we continue on the current rate of improvement, there are no more recessions and everything goes perfectly, it will be almost 30 years before we get to the same point in the economy as it was when obama took office. That's just the economy, it doesn't figure in to where the deficit will be with 30 years of continued borrowing.

If Obama wins I just hope the Chinese are kind masters.

Didn't Obama say something about it being unpatriotic to use a Chinese credit card? yes, yes he did.

* Many non-partisan, centrist-like folks are as concerned about our huge debt and deficit as anyone else is. But they note that Bush and the Republicans took us from a nominally balanced budget and from paying down the debt to irresponsible deficit spending and an increase of $5.1 trillion in the national debt. So they are not too impressed when they hear many of these same Republicans screaming about the debt and the deficit, and thus they are willing to give Obama another chance in this area. They are hopeful that he will get the federal budget under control in a second term. (Don't ask me how any rational person could think this, given what Obama has done and given what he is proposing, but most of these folks simply do not know just how horribly Obama has handled the budget, and they don't understand that what he's now proposing is even worse than what he's done so far. Also, they have fresh memories of the fact that Bush and the GOP did a rather poor job on the budget.)

Again, BS. Yes, under Bush and a Congress controlled by Democrats the debt swelled and economic disaster resulted. But let us consider Obama's ads where Morton Freeman bleats that no president has faced what Obama has had to face. What in the hell has Obama had to face? An economic downturn that the whole world was seeing and an opportunity to shine with the recovery that should have been but wasn't?

On the other hand what did Bush inherit from Clinton? The Y2k wind down. The dot com crash. 9/11 and a housing bubble driven by the democrats and Obama. And until the 2006 take over of congress the country was in good shape.

FYI, I'm an independent who leans to the right on most issues (but I never voted for George Bush). Although I strongly support Romney, and although I think Obama has done a terrible job in key areas, I can understand why some non-partisan, open-minded people who are somewhere in/near the middle of the ideological spectrum could support Obama's reelection.

I happen to have a number of centrist friends, and even a few conservative friends, who are voting for Obama. Some of them are people who have very conservative moral values and who attend church regularly. A few of them even send their kids to private religious schools. When we have talked about Obama, the reasons listed below largely reflect their reasons for supporting him.

* I think many Republicans don't understand that most Americans are sick and tired of war. Most people like the fact that we're out of Iraq and that we're winding down in Afghanistan. And many people also like the fact that Obama is obviously very reluctant to get involved in another war.

* Many non-partisan, more-or-less-centrist voters like certain aspects of Obamacare, even if they understand that Obamacare also has some major flaws.

* Even some people who are fiscally conservative think we might need to raise the top two tax brackets back to what they were under Clinton in order to get the federal budget under control. They note that the economy did very well when the two top rates were higher under Clinton. (I wonder how many of these people know that just a couple weeks ago Obama announced that he supports ending the Bush tax cuts for middle-income taxpayers as well. I wonder if they realize just how much this would cost them.)

* Many non-ideological voters support Obama's easing of relations with Cuba. Personally, I think our embargo against Cuba is downright silly and that Cuba would be a democratic nation in short order if we would normalize relations and allow a free flow of trade and people with Cuba. I was glad to see Obama ease some of the currency and travel restrictions with Cuba.

* Many voters of all stripes appreciate the fact that Obama has cut taxes for the middle class and the poor with his reduction in the payroll tax (i.e., the Social Security tax). Keep in mind that $288 billion of the $787 billion stimulus went for tax cuts, and most of those tax cuts were for the middle class. In other words, over 1/3 of the stimulus consisted of tax cuts (mostly for the middle class, but also for the poor and for businesses).

* Many centrist types like the fact that Obama kept GM and Chrysler in business. Granted, most of them don't know that part of Obama's auto bailout was an outright handout of $12 billion taxpayer dollars. Nor do most of them know that the bailout only put a temporary band-aid on the structural problems (mainly the unrealistic, unsustainable labor-cost structure) that led those companies to the breaking point in the first place. But, they look and see that GM and Chrysler are making money again, that thousands of auto workers kept their jobs, etc., etc.

* Many centrist types simply do not care about issues like abortion and gay marriage as political issues. They think these are matters of individual choice and they don't get why anyone should care if two men or two women want to get "married." They don't see the threat that gay marriage poses to the foundation of society, the family, and the threat that gay marriage is proving to be to our freedom of religion. They may not like abortion and would not recommend abortion for their daughters with unplanned/unwanted pregnancies, but they think this matter should be left to individuals, families, and their doctors to decide. (Yes, I know this position shows no regard for the rights of the baby in the womb, but I'm just summarizing how many centrist-like folks feel on this issue.)

* Many non-partisan, centrist-like voters believe Obama deserves some credit for halting the recession, for stopping the economy's profuse bleeding, and for getting us to the point where we are seeing at least a small amount of economic growth. They opine that weak growth is better than no growth, and many of these voters believe Bush still deserves at least some of the blame for the economy's current state.

* Many non-partisan, centrist-like folks are as concerned about our huge debt and deficit as anyone else is. But they note that Bush and the Republicans took us from a nominally balanced budget and from paying down the debt to irresponsible deficit spending and an increase of $5.1 trillion in the national debt. So they are not too impressed when they hear many of these same Republicans screaming about the debt and the deficit, and thus they are willing to give Obama another chance in this area. They are hopeful that he will get the federal budget under control in a second term. (Don't ask me how any rational person could think this, given what Obama has done and given what he is proposing, but most of these folks simply do not know just how horribly Obama has handled the budget, and they don't understand that what he's now proposing is even worse than what he's done so far. Also, they have fresh memories of the fact that Bush and the GOP did a rather poor job on the budget.)

Well said.

FYI, I'm an independent who leans to the right on most issues (but I never voted for George Bush). Although I strongly support Romney, and although I think Obama has done a terrible job in key areas, I can understand why some non-partisan, open-minded people who are somewhere in/near the middle of the ideological spectrum could support Obama's reelection.

I happen to have a number of centrist friends, and even a few conservative friends, who are voting for Obama. Some of them are people who have very conservative moral values and who attend church regularly. A few of them even send their kids to private religious schools. When we have talked about Obama, the reasons listed below largely reflect their reasons for supporting him.

* I think many Republicans don't understand that most Americans are sick and tired of war. Most people like the fact that we're out of Iraq and that we're winding down in Afghanistan. And many people also like the fact that Obama is obviously very reluctant to get involved in another war.

* Many non-partisan, more-or-less-centrist voters like certain aspects of Obamacare, even if they understand that Obamacare also has some major flaws.

* Even some people who are fiscally conservative think we might need to raise the top two tax brackets back to what they were under Clinton in order to get the federal budget under control. They note that the economy did very well when the two top rates were higher under Clinton. (I wonder how many of these people know that just a couple weeks ago Obama announced that he supports ending the Bush tax cuts for middle-income taxpayers as well. I wonder if they realize just how much this would cost them.)

* Many non-ideological voters support Obama's easing of relations with Cuba. Personally, I think our embargo against Cuba is downright silly and that Cuba would be a democratic nation in short order if we would normalize relations and allow a free flow of trade and people with Cuba. I was glad to see Obama ease some of the currency and travel restrictions with Cuba.

* Many voters of all stripes appreciate the fact that Obama has cut taxes for the middle class and the poor with his reduction in the payroll tax (i.e., the Social Security tax). Keep in mind that $288 billion of the $787 billion stimulus went for tax cuts, and most of those tax cuts were for the middle class. In other words, over 1/3 of the stimulus consisted of tax cuts (mostly for the middle class, but also for the poor and for businesses).

* Many centrist types like the fact that Obama kept GM and Chrysler in business. Granted, most of them don't know that part of Obama's auto bailout was an outright handout of $12 billion taxpayer dollars. Nor do most of them know that the bailout only put a temporary band-aid on the structural problems (mainly the unrealistic, unsustainable labor-cost structure) that led those companies to the breaking point in the first place. But, they look and see that GM and Chrysler are making money again, that thousands of auto workers kept their jobs, etc., etc.

* Many centrist types simply do not care about issues like abortion and gay marriage as political issues. They think these are matters of individual choice and they don't get why anyone should care if two men or two women want to get "married." They don't see the threat that gay marriage poses to the foundation of society, the family, and the threat that gay marriage is proving to be to our freedom of religion. They may not like abortion and would not recommend abortion for their daughters with unplanned/unwanted pregnancies, but they think this matter should be left to individuals, families, and their doctors to decide. (Yes, I know this position shows no regard for the rights of the baby in the womb, but I'm just summarizing how many centrist-like folks feel on this issue.)

* Many non-partisan, centrist-like voters believe Obama deserves some credit for halting the recession, for stopping the economy's profuse bleeding, and for getting us to the point where we are seeing at least a small amount of economic growth. They opine that weak growth is better than no growth, and many of these voters believe Bush still deserves at least some of the blame for the economy's current state.

Well said.

Not all of it is accurate....but it was well said.

Nice lie, asswipe.

You are the typical DNC caller to talk radio shows that starts off...."I'm a Republican or an independent" then you rattle of 1,000 word written diatribe with DNC highlights.

Cuba? That isn't some issue on the national agenda, but nice try nutjob. :eusa_whistle:

Oh, don't worry.....if Obamination wins you will see BIGGER WARS because he will allow Iran, China, etc to do whatever they like bringing the war to you.

Forum List

Back