Why Soccer will never catch on in the US

No athletic contest should end in a "tie." It goes against the very point of having a contest.

In soccer, they go for penalties at the end in tournaments, when there has to be a winner, which is nothing more than a coin toss.

To me, if the fighters are equally matched, a tie is a very legit score for a battle.

No athletic contest should end in a "tie." It goes against the very point of having a contest.

In soccer, they go for penalties at the end in tournaments, when there has to be a winner, which is nothing more than a coin toss.

To me, if the fighters are equally matched, a tie is a very legit score for a battle.

Pointless. Keep fighting until there is a winner, or just stay home and play video games.

Soccor could be a lot more popular here in the U S if they changed the game a little. If each team had two goalies and they doubled the width of the goal. That way teamwork would be more important and there would be a hell of a lot more scoring. The way it is now a 1-1 tie can be considered a good game. Ties in any contest are lame. The lack of physical contact is lame. Not being able to use your hands is lame. They should be at least allowed to dribble the ball.

I find less scoring and tie or close scores in sports much more interesting because this is the indication that the teams are equally matched and the battle on the field is much more enjoyable, 50% of the time. The other 50%, an even or close score may mean both teams were reluctant to act.

But I would prefer even or close scores on any sports over one team dominating the other...

Soccer is a lot like chess......
Not that it s tactical but players play not to lose rather than to win

Leads to lots of draws

Soccor could be a lot more popular here in the U S if they changed the game a little. If each team had two goalies and they doubled the width of the goal. That way teamwork would be more important and there would be a hell of a lot more scoring. The way it is now a 1-1 tie can be considered a good game. Ties in any contest are lame. The lack of physical contact is lame. Not being able to use your hands is lame. They should be at least allowed to dribble the ball.

I find less scoring and tie or close scores in sports much more interesting because this is the indication that the teams are equally matched and the battle on the field is much more enjoyable, 50% of the time. The other 50%, an even or close score may mean both teams were reluctant to act.

But I would prefer even or close scores on any sports over one team dominating the other...

Leads to lots of draws

That's sooo true for Italians!!!

However not so much for Brazilians.

Leads to lots of draws

That's sooo true for Italians!!!

However not so much for Brazilians.

Or most places for that matter.

Soccer needs to drop the shoot out

Once you are in overtime, drop two players from each team every five minutes someone doesn't score

Soccor could be a lot more popular here in the U S if they changed the game a little. If each team had two goalies and they doubled the width of the goal. That way teamwork would be more important and there would be a hell of a lot more scoring. The way it is now a 1-1 tie can be considered a good game. Ties in any contest are lame. The lack of physical contact is lame. Not being able to use your hands is lame. They should be at least allowed to dribble the ball.[/QUOTE

Seems as if you want Australian rules football.

Ever watch it?:eusa_whistle:

USA-Mexico Friendly

Tonight is the international soccer friendly between USA and Mexico.

"The United States and Mexico will be aiming to take another step forward in their preparations for this summer’s Gold Cup when the long-time rivals clash at the Alamodome in San Antonio on Wednesday night. The soccer rivals, who could square off again on U.S. soil in the knockout stages of the Concacaf championship, will be meeting for the first time since a 2-2 draw a year ago" (source: ibtimes.com).

The US team is coached by German soccer titan Jurgen Klinsmann and features World Cup caliber talents such as Michael Bradley, while Mexico is coached by shrewd Miguel Herrera and lacks World Cup caliber talents such as Diego Reyes but does feature potentially skillful substitutes such as Carlos Salcedo.

Herrera claims Mexico has what it takes to win tonight, and Klinsmann is very confident the match will live up to the fair amount of hype.

Both Mexico and USA have been developing their programs for many years, and tonight's friendly might add spice to the argument that media coverage of international soccer on American TV will provide general sports fans enough fuel to appreciate the simple flair of soccer/football. After all, aren't Americans fans of TV fun?

:afro:

USA-Mexico Soccer Rivalry (Wikipedia)

usa.png

mexico.gif

Soccor could be a lot more popular here in the U S if they changed the game a little. If each team had two goalies and they doubled the width of the goal. That way teamwork would be more important and there would be a hell of a lot more scoring. The way it is now a 1-1 tie can be considered a good game. Ties in any contest are lame. The lack of physical contact is lame. Not being able to use your hands is lame. They should be at least allowed to dribble the ball.[/QUOTE

Seems as if you want Australian rules football.

Ever watch it?:eusa_whistle:

No. All I care about is NFL football. The last three and the next ten years will be the pinnacle of the Seahawks organization. Nothing else interests me.

Politics has been destroyed by the rancor of the far right. There is no serious means of average people to have a say in what will happen. Those days are far behind us.

Therefore the only thing that makes sense is crushing the NFC West opponents and keeping HFA for the next decade and getting a record number of rings. It is the only goal left worth pursuing.

I have had this discussion many times with foreign friends and acquaintances.

(a) Soccer is a dumb game. Any sport that prohibits the use of one's hands in any meaningful way (other than for the goalie) is preposterous. The fact that the best soccer players are able to do "amazing" things with the ball using their feet doesn't change anything. Any good 12-year-old basketball player can shoot a ball 10 times better than the best soccer player in the world could do it with his feet.

(b) Americans will never be competitive internationally in soccer because our development of players is stupid. We play soccer by AGE group and by GRADE in school. In the rest of the world, soccer players compete with players AT THE SAME SKILL LEVEL. A great 12-year-old German player is practicing and competing with 16-18 year olds. A great American 12-year-old (assuming there is such a thing) is kicking ass against mediocre 12-year-olds - hardly the best way to come up to his full potential. (This is also why white European basketball players are better in the NBA than American white players).

(c) If African Americans ever get interested in the sport, the factors mentioned above in (b) will not matter. "We" will rule the world of soccer. (The same thing could be said of Tennis).

(d) Until the majority of our players have names like Smith and Jones, most potential spectators will ignore it. Foreigners wearing American uniforms are still foreigners.

(e) Soccer looks like it's fun to play, and it appears to be great exercise. Neither of which makes it a good spectator sport.

(f) The biggest driving point in the popularity of youth soccer is the desire of "Soccer Moms" to keep their precious little darlings from getting beat up on the football field.

(g) American kids who are standouts at both (1) Soccer and (2) Any Other Sport, all eventually drop soccer for the other sport.

(h) Why does the rest of the world love soccer? The same reason why Australian kids like Vegemite. It is shit, but they are raised on it.

I have had this discussion many times with foreign friends and acquaintances.

(a) Soccer is a dumb game. Any sport that prohibits the use of one's hands in any meaningful way (other than for the goalie) is preposterous. The fact that the best soccer players are able to do "amazing" things with the ball using their feet doesn't change anything. Any good 12-year-old basketball player can shoot a ball 10 times better than the best soccer player in the world could do it with his feet. If you really want to add excitement to soccer, prohibit the GOALIES from using their hands. scoring would increase dramatically.

(b) Americans will never be competitive internationally in soccer because our development of players is stupid. We play soccer by AGE group and by GRADE in school. In the rest of the world, soccer players compete with players AT THE SAME SKILL LEVEL. A great 12-year-old German player is practicing and competing with 16-18 year olds. A great American 12-year-old (assuming there is such a thing) is kicking ass against mediocre 12-year-olds - hardly the best way to come up to his full potential. (This is also why white European basketball players are better in the NBA than American white players).

(c) If African Americans ever get interested in the sport, the factors mentioned above in (b) will not matter. "We" will rule the world of soccer. (The same thing could be said of Tennis).

(d) Until the majority of our players have names like Smith and Jones, most potential spectators will ignore it. Foreigners wearing American uniforms are still foreigners.

(e) Soccer looks like it's fun to play, and it appears to be great exercise. Neither of which makes it a good spectator sport.

(f) The biggest driving point in the popularity of youth soccer is the desire of "Soccer Moms" to keep their precious little darlings from getting beat up on the football field.

(g) American kids who are standouts at both (1) Soccer and (2) Any Other Sport, all eventually drop soccer for the other sport.

(h) Why does the rest of the world love soccer? The same reason why Australian kids like Vegemite. It is shit, but they are raised on it.

I honestly try very hard to pay attention to soccer when my wife watches the Mexican teams play.

I simply can't find anything interesting about men running up and down a big field forever and everybody going nut just because the kick the stupid ball in the direction of the goal.

It's boring.

Forum List

Back