Why so much ammo?

Hmmm........... Guess I am the exception to all the shooting. Have a small reloader for my rounds, about 30 brass, the makings for another hundred rounds. Will probably last me the rest of my life. Usually fire two or three shots to check the sights, then during season, single shot kills. Been a while since I have hunted or shot, so will have to see how my eyes are once I retire to Eastern Oregon. Oh yes, the rifle that I have used for about 50 years is a 250 Savage.

Last time I did any shooting, after about a five year hiatus, was with a .50 Hawken, 180 grain round ball, 70 grains black. On the 160 yard target, a steel cutout of a bear about 12" wide and 18" high, did two of four offhand.

What are you hunting?

I hunt squirrel, rabbit, geese, duck, pheasant, grouse, coyote and wild boar...with the occasional deer.

If I was just hunting deer, I wouldn't spend as much time at the range but I find that to make consistent ethical kills...I am at the range quite often with the Ruger 10/22 practicing.

I have mostly hunted deer. Occasionly elk. Geese with a single shot 12. Used to help shoot the small ground squirrels on my cousin's ranch with a Mossberg 22 mag . Now, there are a lot of turkey in Eastern Oregon, will probably start hunting them when I retire. And plan to do major hunting with a camera.

With what, a Canon?

What are you hunting?

I hunt squirrel, rabbit, geese, duck, pheasant, grouse, coyote and wild boar...with the occasional deer.

If I was just hunting deer, I wouldn't spend as much time at the range but I find that to make consistent ethical kills...I am at the range quite often with the Ruger 10/22 practicing.

I have mostly hunted deer. Occasionly elk. Geese with a single shot 12. Used to help shoot the small ground squirrels on my cousin's ranch with a Mossberg 22 mag . Now, there are a lot of turkey in Eastern Oregon, will probably start hunting them when I retire. And plan to do major hunting with a camera.

With what, a Canon?

LOL Good pun.

I know this question has been asked not sure if it has been fully addressed.
So here it goes.
A firearms owner to be responsible should at all times remain proficient with all his firearms, This would require a large amount of ammo
I go to the range at least once a month and shoot 600 to a thousand rounds per firearm I take to the range.
I take at least 5 firearms with me because no firearm is the same as another one even if they are the same make and model and caliber of firearm.
Now you add that amount of rounds that I use on the range plus the amount that is above my minimum level cut off point. (My minimum level is a 500 rounds per firearm.) It would not be hard to see why I would need a lot of ammo.
Now if there is a restriction of the amount of ammo you can have, how as a responsible firearms owner stay proficient and continue to be responsible?
Do other gun owners understand the point I am trying to make?

Nobody is saying how much ammo you can have. What they ARE saying is how much ammo you can have in your weapon prior to having to reload.

Do you REALLY need 30-100 rounds per magazine?

Even when I was in the military and part of the Security Forces, we didn't use high round magazines for practice, we used normal ones, because that was the kind we'd be carrying out on patrol.

So you are part of the group that gets to tell others what they may, or may not have with respect to rifle magazines... How very tyrannical of you.

I put 50 rounds downrange on Saturday sighting in a 30/30 Handi Rifle...and my shoulder is still sore...

For practice, I usually only take .22 LR's to the range...a 10/22 for rifle, a Ruger Standard for semi automatic and a Taurus ultralite 9 for revolver.

I see using a 22 for practice is useless because you will not get the same affect with a 300 win mag. Sure you're Honing in your skills with a 22 but not so much with a remington 700 300 win mag.People should practice with all their firearms

I don't disagree with that.

BUT...ammunition is expensive.

I only have four rifles...and the 30/30 Handi Rifle I only bought three weeks ago.

I have always had a .22LR of some type, for small game.

I also have had an AR15 since I was in the service, I use it for wild boar and coyotes...but the truth is I would own one even if I didn't hunt.

In my opinion, the 10/22 and the AR15 in .223 are close enough that practice with the .22LR and occasional hunting with the .223 is sufficient.

The other rifle, a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 I take to the range a couple times a year and put maybe 20 rounds downrange per visit. I haven't been deer hunting in a few years.

For me, this is sufficient. The .22lr practice sessions allow me to work on live fire accuracy, trigger squeeze, breathing, sight picture, flinching (which is something I struggle with), etc.

I put 50 rounds downrange on Saturday sighting in a 30/30 Handi Rifle...and my shoulder is still sore...

For practice, I usually only take .22 LR's to the range...a 10/22 for rifle, a Ruger Standard for semi automatic and a Taurus ultralite 9 for revolver.

I see using a 22 for practice is useless because you will not get the same affect with a 300 win mag. Sure you're Honing in your skills with a 22 but not so much with a remington 700 300 win mag.People should practice with all their firearms

I don't disagree with that.

BUT...ammunition is expensive.

I only have four rifles...and the 30/30 Handi Rifle I only bought three weeks ago.

I have always had a .22LR of some type, for small game.

I also have had an AR15 since I was in the service, I use it for wild boar and coyotes...but the truth is I would own one even if I didn't hunt.

In my opinion, the 10/22 and the AR15 in .223 are close enough that practice with the .22LR and occasional hunting with the .223 is sufficient.

The other rifle, a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 I take to the range a couple times a year and put maybe 20 rounds downrange per visit. I haven't been deer hunting in a few years.

For me, this is sufficient. The .22lr practice sessions allow me to work on live fire accuracy, trigger squeeze, breathing, sight picture, flinching (which is something I struggle with), etc.
:clap2:

Sheesh. What need for one of those insane kicking Magnums? Single shot kills on elk and deer with a 30-30 have been done by good hunters for generations.

This is my first 30/30 and I really had a great time at the range with it.

You hardly ever read or hear anything about them these days.

It's all 300 win mag and 7mm-08 or 7mm magnums...which are fine cartriges...but the older rounds seem to be forgotten with all the coverage of these newer rounds.

And this single shot Handi Rifle is every bit as accurate as my Remington 700, even though it has been really poo-poo'd in many online reviews.

But, I had two NEF shotguns that are superb, a shingle shot 20 gauge that I have owner for 30 yeas and a NEF pump 12 gauge...so I took a chance on this one...$200 secondhand, with an adequate scope, sling and two boxes of ammunition.

After one trip to the range, I am hooked.

Last edited:

Sheesh. What need for one of those insane kicking Magnums? Single shot kills on elk and deer with a 30-30 have been done by good hunters for generations.

Why do you need what you say that you need?

Howzabout YOU try stopping a wild boar with a .30-30, hey? No, I think I'll take something like a .458!

You never carried a side arm? Then what was the 30 round magazine for? Remember, you're the one that said you went out with 2 30 round magazines in your web belt, as well as a 30 round magazine in your weapon. What kind of weapon was it?

We carried 210rds in 7 mags, 0311 USMC

I bet you were happy to drop the web belt when you were off duty. That's a heavy load.

Add to that 2 canteens, sometimes some 7.62's for the pig or 60mm shells for the mortars and our e-tool, one of a Marine's best friends in the field, along with everything else we humped, we were quite happy to drop everything whenever we could. When we got to Lebanon we were happy to carry the mags, which weighed a bit over 1lb each, and often carried more.

Why in the fuk would anyone care what you carried in the military, how many rounds you shoot today and what ammo and guns you plan on buying tommorrow.

There are only a few questions that matter; how many bad guys have you shot and killed and how manay times have you stopped a crime with your gun that was being perpetrated against you or yours? And how many times have you been called out for "militia duty" where you had to report with your personal weapons?

That's why you have guns and those are the only questions that matter. Isn't that why you all have so many guns? To shoot bad guys and stop crimes. And repeal invaders and to protect yourself from our government.

So how well have you all been doing those things? Just curious.

Number of criminals shot and killed?
Number of criminals shot and wounded?
Number of crimes stopped by your gun(s)?
Number of times repealing foreign invasion?
Number of times standing up to our government with your guns?

Just a little score card to keep the record straight. If all the gun nuts would fill out this little questionaire, we could have ourselves a contest for the baddest mutta fuking gun owner on the US Message board.

Wouldn't that be cool?

Freaking dumbass. When hiking I carry a snake bite kit, never used it once, still want to carry the freaking thing though.

Why in the fuk would anyone care what you carried in the military, how many rounds you shoot today and what ammo and guns you plan on buying tommorrow.

There are only a few questions that matter; how many bad guys have you shot and killed and how manay times have you stopped a crime with your gun that was being perpetrated against you or yours? And how many times have you been called out for "militia duty" where you had to report with your personal weapons?

That's why you have guns and those are the only questions that matter. Isn't that why you all have so many guns? To shoot bad guys and stop crimes. And repeal invaders and to protect yourself from our government.

So how well have you all been doing those things? Just curious.

Number of criminals shot and killed?
Number of criminals shot and wounded?
Number of crimes stopped by your gun(s)?
Number of times repealing foreign invasion?
Number of times standing up to our government with your guns?

Just a little score card to keep the record straight. If all the gun nuts would fill out this little questionaire, we could have ourselves a contest for the baddest mutta fuking gun owner on the US Message board.

Wouldn't that be cool?

Freaking dumbass. When hiking I carry a snake bite kit, never used it once, still want to carry the freaking thing though.

Obviously, the answer is to ban fangs. Once those snakes see they're in a fang-free zone, they'll think twice about biting anyone, that's for sure. Yea, that'll do the trick...:eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back