Why so many waivers?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Anyone paying any attention to the news knows that the numbers of waivers for Obamacare have now topped 1000. What people might not be aware of is the reason that so many companies are getting waivers.

In order to avoid disruption in the insurance market, the healthcare overhaul gives HHS the power to grant waivers to firms that cannot meet new annual coverage limits in 2011. The waivers have typically been granted to so-called "mini-med" plans that offer limited annual coverage — as low as $2,000 — that would fall short of meeting the new annual coverage floor of $750,000 in 2011.

"We don't want to take away people's health insurance before they have some realistic other choices,” HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an interview with The Hill earlier this year.

Number of healthcare reform law waivers climbs above 1,000 - The Hill's Healthwatch

Excuse me? I thought that, if I liked my health insurance I could keep it. The plan I used to have was very much like these mini med plans, I just pay for it myself. Since I do not work for a large, politically powerful company, I cannot obtain a waiver, and I not only lost the insurance plan I had, I cannot afford the new ones the law is requiring me to get.

I know the typical people will pop in and tell me I have no idea what I am talking about, that I am totally misinterpreting the way the law is written, and tat I am being lied to when the insurance company tells me that it is the fault of the PPACA that I no longer have insurance. Funny thing is, HHS seems to agree with me that it is the fault of the law.

Anyone paying any attention to the news knows that the numbers of waivers for Obamacare have now topped 1000. What people might not be aware of is the reason that so many companies are getting waivers.

In order to avoid disruption in the insurance market, the healthcare overhaul gives HHS the power to grant waivers to firms that cannot meet new annual coverage limits in 2011. The waivers have typically been granted to so-called "mini-med" plans that offer limited annual coverage — as low as $2,000 — that would fall short of meeting the new annual coverage floor of $750,000 in 2011.

"We don't want to take away people's health insurance before they have some realistic other choices,” HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an interview with The Hill earlier this year.

Number of healthcare reform law waivers climbs above 1,000 - The Hill's Healthwatch

Excuse me? I thought that, if I liked my health insurance I could keep it. The plan I used to have was very much like these mini med plans, I just pay for it myself. Since I do not work for a large, politically powerful company, I cannot obtain a waiver, and I not only lost the insurance plan I had, I cannot afford the new ones the law is requiring me to get.

I know the typical people will pop in and tell me I have no idea what I am talking about, that I am totally misinterpreting the way the law is written, and tat I am being lied to when the insurance company tells me that it is the fault of the PPACA that I no longer have insurance. Funny thing is, HHS seems to agree with me that it is the fault of the law.

Question . . . if you can't afford a new policy now, what changes in the next 3 years that will make it affordable to you and/or to those who are now exempt?

Since I do not work for a large, politically powerful company, I cannot obtain a waiver, and I not only lost the insurance plan I had, I cannot afford the new ones the law is requiring me to get.

Can you get hold of the letter from CCIIO to your company denying its waiver application? I haven't heard of any denials yet so I'd be interested in seeing one of those--particularly to see the rationale they gave to your company that you're interpreting as cover for a lack of political clout on the part of your company.

Question . . . if you can't afford a new policy now, what changes in the next 3 years that will make it affordable to you and/or to those who are now exempt?

What makes you think anything in the next three years that is attributable to the PPACA is suddenly going to increase my income? The prices are not going to drop, so that is the only way I am going to be able to afford insurance.

Since I do not work for a large, politically powerful company, I cannot obtain a waiver, and I not only lost the insurance plan I had, I cannot afford the new ones the law is requiring me to get.

Can you get hold of the letter from CCIIO to your company denying its waiver application? I haven't heard of any denials yet so I'd be interested in seeing one of those--particularly to see the rationale they gave to your company that you're interpreting as cover for a lack of political clout on the part of your company.

What letter? I am self employed and self insured.

What makes you think anything in the next three years that is attributable to the PPACA is suddenly going to increase my income? The prices are not going to drop, so that is the only way I am going to be able to afford insurance.

I don't . . which is why I asked.

If there are waivers being granted now because they are unaffordable. . . how will they become affordable in three years? Magic unicorn dust? Hmmmm. . . .

Better still, the 'temporary waivers' will just become permanent.

If there are waivers being granted now because they are unaffordable. . . how will they become affordable in three years? Magic unicorn dust? Hmmmm. . . .

In two and a half years, the folks who currently only have mini-med plan options available to them will be able to start purchasing comprehensive coverage through their state's health insurance exchange. They'll receive a refundable tax credit that's pegged to their income to help them pay for it.

Exchange coverage replaces mini-med plans. The delay in the transition (and hence the temporary waivers for continuity of coverage) is due to the fact that very few places have exchanges in place at the moment; most states are designing them right now.

In two and a half years, the folks who currently only have mini-med plan options available to them will be able to start purchasing comprehensive coverage through their state's health insurance exchange. They'll receive a refundable tax credit that's pegged to their income to help them pay for it.

Exchange coverage replaces mini-med plans. The delay in the transition (and hence the temporary waivers for continuity of coverage) is due to the fact that very few places have exchanges in place at the moment; most states are designing them right now.

Number of healthcare reform law waivers climbs above 1,000

More Health Waivers (Good for one year and renewable)

The Truth About Health Care Waivers<MINI MEDS on Their Way out...

Greenteeth? WHO are you working for? WHO is paying you?

Last edited:
Why so many waivers?

wave2.jpg

Who's paying you man?

Whom are you shilling for?

I don't . . which is why I asked.

Better still, the 'temporary waivers' will just become permanent.

I see said the blind man.

Good point.

Greenboy is a paid shill. He is working for someone...

Who is it Greenteeth? WHOM are you shilling for, and WHOM is paying you?

So because someone understands how the law actually works and provides actual facts, that means he must be a paid plant? LOL. Amazing. :eusa_eh:

What happens when the exchange rates turn out to be more expensive that what is currently being paid for mini-med plans? The temporary waivers will become permanent.

My understanding is that there will no longer be any annual coverage limits. Even with many exchanges . . how will the price for an unlimited annual coverage limit be less expensive?

what she ( ZB ) said..plus...

the mini-meds are in general for low skilled low paying labor, correct?

So, how much of that free money from uncle sam euphemistically labeled refundable tax credits will they need to purchase a plan 'like everyone else' has?

why ARE there no exchanges ?

Who Funds the exchanges ala seed money to get started?

why was this unforeseen?

Last edited:

Who's paying you man?

Greenbeard is very well informed & knows his stuff about the healthcare law so he has to be a pro. He is likely a paid shill for this government plan but I don't mind reading his post because they are fact based & not political triads.

Who's paying you man?

Greenbeard is very well informed & knows his stuff about the healthcare law so he has to be a pro. He is likely a paid shill for this government plan but I don't mind reading his post because they are fact based & not political triads.

man oh man did you walk that tight-rope, well done ;):lol:

Forum List

Back