CDZ Why so little about the REAL CORE of the immigration problem?

Personally haven't seen a solution from either side of the isle that is workable.
Yup.

Imagine what could happen, though, if five or ten or so from each party, along with representatives from south of the border, met behind closed doors, agreeing to not say anything to any press, with the specific intent of finding areas of agreement on which we could build. And then imagine what creative new ideas might come from open collaboration within future similar meetings with people who check their ego and ideology at the door and get serious.

And then, of course, we apply that same problem-solving template to the wide range of issues that vex us.

Obviously that won't happen, because we simply don't yet possess that capacity. It is beyond us. And, sadly and more importantly, there are too many powerful voices who don't actually want us to fix our problems, for their own narcissistic personal/professional reasons.

But I do allow myself to daydream about that now and then.

Last edited:
What the OP ignores is that the hard right is the one who is beating the drums of division.

upload_2018-6-3_1-30-45.png

Nannies, maids, migrant workers et. al. are "the most important problem facing the country" according to Gallup polling. That, in and of itself, is brainless.

I think he has a good idea about getting people into a room away from the cameras and pressure to produce a result but it seems that any solution that involves people crossing the border is a non starter to the republicans. I guess the meeting would address their intransigence.

Now as for the poverty south of the border and working together to solve the problems...it would seem that foreign aid is one thing the US could do. Are we willing to do that?

upload_2018-6-3_1-47-11.png

Obviously not under the current administration.

Are we creating the problem...of course not. Contrary to what some think, America isn't an oppressive nation. I think we've done enough in most cases, frankly. If there isn't a direct (or almost direct) correlation between the aid and a conduit for increasing foreign trade for American made goods (i.e. a grant to nation X to buy computers from an American vendor, shipped on American planes or American ships from an American port), it shouldn't be considered. Because, as almost any businessman would tell you, getting the customer to the counter is 1/2 the battle. Once you sell them something, it's much easier to keep them than it is to replace them.

There is a screamingly obvious issue that exists before any Mexicans or South Americans even make it to our southern border: Those countries are so corrupt, so horrible, that their people are literally desperate to escape.

What can be done to address the core problem here?

Build better walls, send them all back.

It's not our problem: it's their problem. They just bring their crime and corruption here, and I don't want it.

Spanish and to a lesser extent Portuguese speaking countries are basket cases worldwide regardless of race. This is not a fixable problem. If you have read Roman Histories you know that this is a problem that goes back at least two thousand years.
Well, Spain ruled a good portion of the world...until they imploded..primarily due to religion and an absolutely corrupt ruling class. A tradition that continues to this day, in many Spanish-speaking countries.
It's always the other guys.

Nothing of substance is accomplished as long as we choose to go through life with just one eye open.
Well..in a nutshell, here it is: resource is finite...we use a large amount..this leaves a lesser amount to be spread around. to a large degree, our prosperity depends on the lack of prosperity of others. South America, with the exception of Brazil, will NEVER be as prosperous as the US. Their choices are simple..be content with their lot...or attempt to change it. Changing it will come at our expense. Are you cool with that?

Even if the ruling classes were willing to give up their gains..and spread the wealth..they just do not have enough. To combat generational poverty and systemic lack of education would literally take trillions of dollars and generations of time. To make the changes self-sustaining would require that our (US) corporations down-size dramatically--in order to allow other countries the market share they now own.

In theory, a world-wide effort might do the trick...but then there's Africa....Indonesia....Asia. It's just a non-starter Mac.

Human nature is what it is..and people will always opt to move to where the opportunity is, and who can blame them? Despite the ethics of it all...the wall solution...the keep them at arm's length idea..is by far the most workable. Maybe tech will bail us out..but until something new comes along...I don't see a solution that allows us to maintain our way of life and our standard of living.

Last edited:
There is a screamingly obvious issue that exists before any Mexicans or South Americans even make it to our southern border: Those countries are so corrupt, so horrible, that their people are literally desperate to escape.

Worse, and this is what absolutely amazes me, is how proud the "leaders" (ha) of those countries are to HELP those people get the hell out. And then people here cheer those "leaders" on.

Let's see if we can stay on topic, and discuss this without deflection and/or name-calling, shall we? A few questions:
  • Why do we hear nothing on this from our politicians? No political advantage to be had?
  • Are those "leaders" so corrupt and paid-off that all they care about are the cartels? Literally?
  • If we "care" so much about these people and their children, why aren't we demanding better for them?
  • Why don't the Americas do the obvious thing and work together to make conditions better for their people? Isn't that in everyone's best interest?
Thoughts? What can be done to address the core problem here? Any out-of-the-box ideas?

Problems in other countries are difficult to deal with. We just can't invade and fix them. Well, who am I kidding. If we invade to fix them it would take 50 years and a Marshall Plan for each one.

Far as creative ideas mentioned later, man, I dunno. Anyone over here working and keeping their nose clean I'm all for keeping but we obviously can't have 50 million immigrants a year. Let me tell ya though, in St Louis there are very few areas which maintain much less rebuild anything w/o government money South St Louis city stayed serviceable for twenty years longer than the north side thanks to the importation of some Bosnians who generally worked and stayed relatively clean.

Forum List

Back